My Home Pool Room Journey

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was not meant to hijack the thread but, for some reason pool players feel like they always have something smart to say. So since I am an idiot, I am just curious. Dry wall is made in 8', 10' and 12'. Now it is "widely" known that this is to accommodate various ceiling heights. If dry wall was meant to be hung horizontal then why don't they taper the short ends? In addition do you think that the 16" stud standard might have been to accommodate anything 4' wide or was that just some random number they came up with? I am dying to hear these responses from the professionals. You may do it differently in your state or city and I am sure there is no hard fast rule past commercial building but, what I can tell you is that a very, very large majority of drywall is hung vertically. And unfortunately in the 3D universe yes you do increase the seams when hung horizontally and I wont get into the simple math but, I am sure if you think about it a little you will figure that part out.

Regardless of all the garbage that gets thrown around by the AZ clowns on here, the room is turning out nice and I thank the OP for his contributions. I personally love these types of posts. I can do without the AZZmonkeys but I don't see that going away anytime soon.

To stop the thread derail I started a new thread here ;)

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
Ok, back to the build... looking forward to tonight's progress report!

No update tonight my friend. Just wasted several hours on this pallet board accent wall. Not happy how it turned out. Looks like shit. It’s all getting ripped out tomorrow. Frustrating to say the least. Time is ticking. So aggravated right now lol.

Is it possible to just fill the entire lower level in with concrete and be done with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No update tonight my friend. Just wasted several hours on this pallet board accent wall. Not happy how it turned out. Looks like shit. It’s all getting ripped out tomorrow. Frustrating to say the least. Time is ticking. So aggravated right now lol.

Is it possible to just fill the entire lower level in with concrete and be done with it?

In February of 2003 my wife and I decided to move from Nebraska to Idaho and that night we stayed up until 4 AM and gutted the kitchen. At that point I travelled 45+ weeks a year (sales/account management) and EVERY room in the house was under some sort of construction (needs drywall, floors, electrical, windows, etc......). Every week I flew out Sunday night/Monday morning and came home on Thursday or Friday and worked my ass off for two or three days - for 52 weeks straight. About half way through I wanted to light a match and disappear.

It may suck now but trust me, the reward will be worth it ;)

Can't wait to see another update.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Not sure what part of the wall became frustrating, but a major issue of the pallet boards was they were different widths. It threw off the level of the rows and left gaps. You'd get three boards in and one that was a little taller would make the next row fit poorly. Boy was that annoying...hot outside, no A/C yet, making wrong cuts, cussing it up. Looking back its funny, but it was not then.

Eventually ALL the boards got sorted and were put in groups of five or six that all had equal widths. That way they could be nailed up in a row, make the nit picky cuts on the ends and then start a new row.

I also know that you can be your own worst critic. Don't be too hard on yourself for it, everything has turned out great!!!

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Not sure what part of the wall became frustrating, but a major issue of the pallet boards was they were different widths. It threw off the level of the rows and left gaps. You'd get three boards in and one that was a little taller would make the next row fit poorly. Boy was that annoying...hot outside, no A/C yet, making wrong cuts, cussing it up. Looking back its funny, but it was not then.

Eventually ALL the boards got sorted and were put in groups of five or six that all had equal widths. That way they could be nailed up in a row, make the nit picky cuts on the ends and then start a new row.

I also know that you can be your own worst critic. Don't be too hard on yourself for it, everything has turned out great!!!
I ran into the exact same issue with my pallet wall. A table saw is worth its weight in gold to rip the boards to common width.

runout1961

Silver Member
In February of 2003 my wife and I decided to move from Nebraska to Idaho and that night we stayed up until 4 AM and gutted the kitchen. At that point I travelled 45+ weeks a year (sales/account management) and EVERY room in the house was under some sort of construction (needs drywall, floors, electrical, windows, etc......). Every week I flew out Sunday night/Monday morning and came home on Thursday or Friday and worked my ass off for two or three days - for 52 weeks straight. About half way through I wanted to light a match and disappear.

It may suck now but trust me, the reward will be worth it ;)

Can't wait to see another update.

Thank you for sharing that story! I feel the same way with the lower level right about now. But I’ll keep pushing and get it done.

That’s exactly it. I ripped some on the table saw and such. First row was perfectly level. Then I start throwing them up and get some momentum going until I was almost down to the mantle. Then I realized the whole wall is off kilter. It’s slanted. Not level. I rushed it. Should have taken more time to prepare and lay things out.

I also have a mix of 6” and 3” boards. The plan was to use the 6” boards for the accent wall. Then use the 3” for the trim around the room. The whole wall with the 6” boards doesn’t look right. I think a mix of the 6” and 3” would have been much better.

I absolutely agree about being our own worst critic but I thank you for the kind words. My OCD, perfectionism, patience, lack of sleep and the ridiculous timeline I set for myself has all collided to make for a miserable experience with this project. It is what it is. Like everyone is saying, it will be worth it in the end. By this time next week I’ll be sitting back having a beer down there, looking around and feeling proud about what we accomplished. But in the meantime, that entire lower level can be filled with great stuff spray foam for all I care lol.

I ran into the exact same issue with my pallet wall. A table saw is worth its weight in gold to rip the boards to common width.

I have a good dewalt table saw but the problem is, the nail heads were left in the boards to give them more of an authentic reclaimed look. I’ve ripped a little off (less than 1/4) some boards to make them flush with the next but on most of them, those cuts aren’t possible with the batch I have.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was not meant to hijack the thread but, for some reason pool players feel like they always have something smart to say. So since I am an idiot, I am just curious. Dry wall is made in 8', 10' and 12'. Now it is "widely" known that this is to accommodate various ceiling heights. If dry wall was meant to be hung horizontal then why don't they taper the short ends? In addition do you think that the 16" stud standard might have been to accommodate anything 4' wide or was that just some random number they came up with? I am dying to hear these responses from the professionals. You may do it differently in your state or city and I am sure there is no hard fast rule past commercial building but, what I can tell you is that a very, very large majority of drywall is hung vertically. And unfortunately in the 3D universe yes you do increase the seams when hung horizontally and I wont get into the simple math but, I am sure if you think about it a little you will figure that part out.

Regardless of all the garbage that gets thrown around by the AZ clowns on here, the room is turning out nice and I thank the OP for his contributions. I personally love these types of posts. I can do without the AZZmonkeys but I don't see that going away anytime soon.
Drywall is always hung horizontally here in the Northeast of the country. The lengths of drywall are not meant to accommodate ceiling heights. The reason the short ends of drywall are not tapered is because the short end is very often cut thereby losing any taper that may have been there. When drywall is hung vertically there is a much high chance of seeing a wave in the wall. 16" stud spacing is all about the size if plywood which is always 4'x8'. With horizontal drywall the seams are staggered another way to break up the pattern so that your eye is less likely to see a repeating pattern of seams like you will always have with vertical drywall.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Don't worry about doing things twice either. I know there's more but I did my floor levelling twice. Painted twice, and in the wrong order because I was in a super rush like you until my delivery got pushed back the way it did. So just know you're not the only one man, sh*t happens, and do what you can do! Keep up the good work (y)

runout1961

Silver Member
Don't worry about doing things twice either. I know there's more but I did my floor levelling twice. Painted twice, and in the wrong order because I was in a super rush like you until my delivery got pushed back the way it did. So just know you're not the only one man, sh*t happens, and do what you can do! Keep up the good work (y)

Thanks pal. Your right. Shit happens. I can’t complain though. Things are coming along nicely and on schedule. I have a new plan for that wall. We’ll se how that goes after work later.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing that story! I feel the same way with the lower level right about now. But I’ll keep pushing and get it done.

That’s exactly it. I ripped some on the table saw and such. First row was perfectly level. Then I start throwing them up and get some momentum going until I was almost down to the mantle. Then I realized the whole wall is off kilter. It’s slanted. Not level. I rushed it. Should have taken more time to prepare and lay things out.

I also have a mix of 6” and 3” boards. The plan was to use the 6” boards for the accent wall. Then use the 3” for the trim around the room. The whole wall with the 6” boards doesn’t look right. I think a mix of the 6” and 3” would have been much better.

I absolutely agree about being our own worst critic but I thank you for the kind words. My OCD, perfectionism, patience, lack of sleep and the ridiculous timeline I set for myself has all collided to make for a miserable experience with this project. It is what it is. Like everyone is saying, it will be worth it in the end. By this time next week I’ll be sitting back having a beer down there, looking around and feeling proud about what we accomplished. But in the meantime, that entire lower level can be filled with great stuff spray foam for all I care lol.

I have a good dewalt table saw but the problem is, the nail heads were left in the boards to give them more of an authentic reclaimed look. I’ve ripped a little off (less than 1/4) some boards to make them flush with the next but on most of them, those cuts aren’t possible with the batch I have.

I can't comment on the sizes of wood as I've never built a pallet wall but to help keep things straight, start measuring from the ceiling down in 1 or 2 foot increments and then draw lines across where the pallet wood is getting installed to help keep it straight. ;)

EDIT: And measure from the ceiling not the floor.

runout1961

Silver Member
I can't comment on the sizes of wood as I've never built a pallet wall but to help keep things straight, start measuring from the ceiling down in 1 or 2 foot increments and then draw lines across where the pallet wood is getting installed to help keep it straight. ;)

EDIT: And measure from the ceiling not the floor.

Thanks for the advice. I couldn’t even begin to describe how this house was built. Nothing is square. Nothing lines up. It’a daunting when you start opening up walls and what you find. The electrical? Well that’s a thread all in it’s own. You wouldn’t believe the things we found. I’m surprised this house didn’t burn down years ago.

My great uncle did what he could. While raising a family, like many families out there, they couldn’t afford to just throw money at people to come fix all of their issues so they did it themselves. That’s how I was raised as well. But I know my limits.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today was without a doubt the most productive day we’ve had by far. We got a lot done. Couldn’t have done it without my lady and her dad. The biggest task accomplished today was installing the two new lally columns and taking out the old one in the middle of the room. The house is still standing so I guess we did it right.

So Many other things were accomplished today, I can’t even think of it all. I’ll just post the pics.

I’ve been down here for 16 hours today. Time to head to bed. Then off to the depot in the morning to rent a paint sprayer and get the ceiling done tomorrow. We should de installing drywall by Tuesday.

I’m tired.
0d55bbfe6bf207aae6ce475ccf6eb5d3.jpg

fbd821a7ee4a3f9019bcad7d4566ed4a.jpg

6e40f9c095a4325a0059d8e5c4e9796d.jpg

9204eaf8572c51050f261d5cfc14d93f.jpg

4fcbcf72f69cd3aed02004d10eb9c9a5.jpg

0b01622c9ad05a0a8558973a1bfc1ba7.jpg

de191475d4007a11789c93697d67c73c.jpg

651b4b6988eb36e4e6359dbf06918980.jpg

d6f555e9651a16bf3fb1e27e374dff9e.jpg

7445751fca430fb7f5e530f20f30e06d.jpg

8478ebdc17e4b1e526c0536aaa15ae6e.jpg

5a5ff0b19b10d0804c6be6fc7a8923da.jpg

c2770446c96fbce31c9dc76b6ff7e9df.jpg

3d59bff5e3c29247d8b0ed452161c7a1.jpg

4dd3fa5e67e9a58100c5fef4c06f8b18.jpg

e4d54bc8d6db5450d3ed0d4486c5668c.jpg

I see you finally got the table in!!

Doing great!

runout1961

Silver Member
We’re getting there folks. We’re getting there.

I’m confident we will be at the point of being able to have the table installed on Tuesday. Will we have everything completely finished out? No. Other small things will have to be done.

Here’s where we’re at. The first pic is of my failed attempt at a pallet board wall. This was a disaster. Poor planning on my part and I take full responsibility. I will say this in my defense lol, for those of you who have never done a pallet wall before, it’s not as easy as it looks. The ends are split so I had to chop off anywhere from an 1”-6” of each end of every board to make it a solid piece to get the framing fin into. This shortens the board. And yes I know the seams aren’t supposed to line up. They should be staggered. There’s 9 “studs” on that wall. None of them are of equal width from one another. Different spacing on every, single, stud. Combined with the shortness of the pallet boards, it was testing my patience and it won. Screw that pallet board. Do t have the time for that lol.

Oh well. Assess the situation, make a decision and move on with no regrets. The second pic is the new accent wall. It’s not done yet because it’s 2:02am and my lady and pup are upstairs sleeping and don’t want to wake them by cutting out the outlet. I’ll finish this up tomorrow.

Second coat of mud was done earlier today and we hope to paint tomorrow if it’s dry after sanding.

The plan is to finish as much as possible before Tuesday when the table is installed. Floors will be laid down on Sunday. So I’ll do that and any other odds and ends I can think of to get the room ready for the install. Maybe Monday I can start putting the bathroom back together since the floors will be done.

It’s late, been a long day and I hope to be up at 6am to have a couple cups of coffee out on the deck and be at Lowe’s by 7am to get the day started.

Onward and upward. That’s all we can do. Anything less is just an excuse to not be as great as you can be.
f83809a4f193f9a6c22a83eea50c7473.jpg

24260c90144f223381a4fc8569f2ac2f.jpg

7ddbe65ef752802c0f6d02628c28a0b8.jpg

3e86c4c47efa68a8d32611a2f64338a0.jpg

87f2eeec3ce9f8bd35c4afe1164a2195.jpg

7aa2e0afe28484796072d6e24460d424.jpg

d4491d5a68322d64f36e5418caa3e35a.jpg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice progress.

I would advocate pushing the table delivery back until you are done with the room 100%. Otherwise it is "Hit balls?" or "work on room?"...... I think we know what most of us would do.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
When doing a basement as a homeowner who does drywall roughly once every 14 years, I go vertical because regardless of whether total seam length is more or less, what I care about is that all or almost all of the seams are tapered edges. I have 10 times better success and 10 times less sanding when doing tapered edges.
1e7a7d1fa371787ea48ff9ee20b77f25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

runout1961

Silver Member
Nice progress.

I would advocate pushing the table delivery back until you are done with the room 100%. Otherwise it is "Hit balls?" or "work on room?"...... I think we know what most of us would do.

Lol your probably right. Definitely going to be a major distraction.

AWSOME! Keep it going.

Thank you! It’s getting there!

Last edited: