My learning journey

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Hi all AZers,

I created this thread to keep a record of my trainings alongside with my new coach. I've previously created a thread on stroke analysis but was not of much use because the useless me couldn't get a video uploaded :embarrassed2::embarrassed2:

This time round, I would make use of some text and pictures, some analysis done on my own to actually note my learning journey now and hopefully anyone with constructive comments and criticisms would help me!

1st Day:

Today, as I've played pool for less than 6 months and I know that I want to play seriously thus I engaged the help from a Pool Coach.

Short introduction:

Marvin Lim is Singapore's No.1 Seeded player, SEA games gold medalist for Snooker. I engaged Marvin's coaching as I've gotten various comments that Snooker would be a good game to discipline myself for strong fundamentals which will aid me in pool.

My lessons today covered:

Grip of cue, Lining up with the shot, stance, stroke, high elbow (locking).

Two pictures of the day:

Scaling_Down_2.jpg
[/IMG]
Scaling_Down_1.jpg

Some analysis done on the pictures:

Analysis_3.jpg

Pretty obvious that my head, stroking arm, chin is not in line with the cue and line of shot. Will be working on that.

Analysis_2.jpg
[/IMG]

I believe I am still quite tensed up and not relaxing thus not being able to get lower... Will be working on that too.

Analysis_1.jpg

I thought that I have good head position with a slightly tucked chin, a good 90 degree on the elbow and a very lousy wrist.

A major boo-boo for me is that I am always unable to relax my wrist...

Cheers,
Shaun

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Keep up the good work Shaun.

I took me 50 years to learn that stuff............

LOL

Kim

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Can you tell me what computer program you used to apply lines to the photographs?

Hi Rick,

I use a simple program; Microsoft Powerpoint! :thumbup:

You can just add and drag lines to anywhere, any length and do just about anything to it from colours, thickness, dashed lines!

Shaun

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Thank you guys, all of you :) This means a lot to me.

Can anyone teach me how to get my head and stroking arm in line with my shot? And also my wrist is so tensed up everytime... Seems like I've got a bad habit :(

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys, all of you :) This means a lot to me.

Can anyone teach me how to get my head and stroking arm in line with my shot? And also my wrist is so tensed up everytime... Seems like I've got a bad habit :(

You must be patient and trust your teacher. He is doing a good job with you so far.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfect alignment is not guaranteed to improve your stroke or ball pocketing.

It might help or it might hurt. As Fran has always said, being comfortable is important. Ask your instructor about the angle your right foot is pointing and if changing it will have any effect.

Last edited:

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Perfect alignment is not guaranteed to improve your stroke or ball pocketing.

It might help or it might hurt. As Fran has always said, being comfortable is important. Ask your instructor about the angle your right foot is pointing and if changing it will have any effect.

Thank you Ron,

I will keep that in mind and I will confirm my doubts with my instructor.

Thanks again for your positive comments :eek:

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Lesson 2

Hi AZBs!

Today was my second lesson with my coach, I started with some warming-up and allowed my coach to have a look at what I've practised over the week. He wanted to meet me once a week as he was worried I might develop bad habits alongside when I practise.

Fine-tuning of stance.

From last week:

Analysis_2.jpg

Today:

Analysis_5.jpg

Seems like my body is more relaxed now and I am able to get down lower into a more comfortable position :)

My stance was corrected because I would force my weight to the left heel which makes the alignment and body positioning difficult. I was taught to keep my right leg straight, feet-knee-hip all in-line.

My left leg was bent a little to allow my right leg to be aligned, this allowed me to have a very comfortable stance. My body was taught to be turning 45 degrees (which results in the alignment), then I would arc the my rib region to allow the alignment of the head. Then I would get down :)

Unfortunate, my stroking arm is still "crooked". It has been identified that when I get down I would twist my body (stroking arm side) upwards which caused the "crooked" arm. I have been trying to stay neutral to the table.

Last week:

Analysis_3.jpg

This week:

Analysis_4.jpg

Analysis_6.jpg

However my head is more in-line now :)

I would have to work on the getting down part, where I would need to bend my body and get down to the shot. This would allow me to achieve a 90 degree with my right leg to my body, I have a natural tendency to push forward which results in a more than 90 degree position when my entire bodyweight is on my arms. BIG BOO BOO.

The next part of today's lesson was the beginnings of "software" as opposed to the "hardware" stance, stroke etc.

It can be classified into this 3 steps :)

SHAUN :eek:

Last edited: