My new veneer press

seahorse1877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself and a friend have been designing a veneer press and this is the first model. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions feel free to say so. This is made with two 1/4" sheets of steel. It is very sturdy and rigid. I might be able to make more so I was wondering what you guys might value something like this at. Thanks for the responses.

Attachments

• veneer4.jpg
    veneer4.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 757
  • veneer3.jpg
    veneer3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 755
  • veneer2.jpg
    veneer2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 740
  • veneer1.jpg
    veneer1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 752
  • veneer.jpg
    veneer.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 751

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 12-ton shop press in my shop and use it for all kinds of things. But it does wonderful double duty as a veneer press - along with a couple of steel plates backing up as many 1/2" Delrin plates as I care to stack veneers between. No wrenching down a bunch of nuts - just pump the handle a dozen times or so and you're done.

Unless you're planning on asking significantly less than $100 (+ shipping), any cuemaker would be way ahead to buy a similar shop press and have it available for a shitload of other projects as well.

TW

Hey... there's one now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ton-H-Fr..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item53f889a844&vxp=mtr

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have a 12-ton shop press in my shop and use it for all kinds of things. But it does wonderful double duty as a veneer press - along with a couple of steel plates backing up as many 1/2" Delrin plates as I care to stack veneers between. No wrenching down a bunch of nuts - just pump the handle a dozen times or so and you're done.

Unless you're planning on asking significantly less than $100 (+ shipping), any cuemaker would be way ahead to buy a similar shop press and have it available for a shitload of other projects as well.

TW

Hey... there's one now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ton-H-Fr..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item53f889a844&vxp=mtr

I use 2 oak boards wrapped with freezer paper and squeezed with C clamps........... works for me.... LOL

Kim

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
veneer press

I use a 6 ton jack, a frame that holds two steel plates that can move up and down and then sandwich two pieces of smooth plywood and two pieces of non-stick aluminum foil to enclose the veneers to be pressed. Jack up tight and allow glue to dry. Obviously, change out the foil with every pressup. charlie

seahorse1877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We didn't start out to try and sell them, just wanted a inexpensive press. Helps that my buddy is a machinist. I think material was around $50. I like it and didn't know if it could be improved on. Thanks for the comments.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We didn't start out to try and sell them, just wanted a inexpensive press. Helps that my buddy is a machinist. I think material was around $50. I like it and didn't know if it could be improved on. Thanks for the comments.

My 12-ton shop press improved on it... in advance.

I also have a 50-ton press, but when I sandwiched blue and yellow veneers together in that thing I ended up with a really thin sandwich of green.

TW

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
1/4" plate imo is a bad choice for this application. Theres almost no way to get equal pressure at your perimeters and the deflection when torqued down is going to be substantial. You could add some precise spacers to keep the depth consistent but the plate is still going to deflect in the middle where the stack is and no pressure is present.

I believe using some type of press which locates in the center is the better choice. I know there are some guys doing this perimeter fastener method with success but its likely with a much thicker material. I guess you will soon know when you press a set, cut them into stacks and measure consistency if all is going to be well.

Best of luck

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

I have a 1998 Honda Prelude Turbo Show car sitting in my garage so I made boards to drive up on and enclosed them in wax paper and I can do 4 at a time ! Beat that !!!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I also have a 50-ton press, but when I sandwiched blue and yellow veneers together in that thing I ended up with a really thin sandwich of green.

:thumbup: Put a presure guage on it ...... and maybe do a few less pumps ;):rolleyes:

Dave <-- loved the HUGE pressure guage (18" diameter?) on the massive press used to crush standards in the engineering materials lab on campus

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I have a 6 Ton hydraulic press.

I bought a press rig from Brianna with two heavy duty thick plates. The top plate is a double plate assembly with heavy duty springs between the plates in recesses. There is a jacking strong back puck in the middle on top. This unit loads the pressure evenly between the top spring loaded unit and the bottom heavy plate in 30 seconds of my time.

It works great. When I first got mine it did a good job. I noticed that the plates were not precision milled flat. I had both the plates milled flat on the business ends and my veneer stacks are super consistent throughout the entire stacked sheet. On a 5 x 11 sheet it is 218 psi per sq. in.

I would never change this method. It all about taking care of the small details where ever you can gain any degree of consistency!! Veneer stack tolerance is critical IMO.

Rick

Last edited:

digdug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
press

I also have the plates Lee sold and a 20 ton press they work perfect. I am planing to make a couple more for multiple glue ups.