My theory on why they use a purple 5 ball

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MR: Let’s make color friendly balls.
Aramith: Okay.
MR: Show me a classic TV set.
MR: Let’s brighten and saturate the colors to contrast tournament blue better.
MR: The pink 4 works great .
Aramith: Sure does.
MR: Orange 5 seems hard to see. Let’s make it purple.
Aramith: But…
MR (interrupts): We will spend a ton of money on these. What were you about to say?
Aramith: Oh nothing. Here’s that purple 5.
MR: Looks great.
Aramith: Sure does

Audience: Purple 5 is stupid
MR: You need to get modern, baby
MR: Get over it
MR: …
MR: …

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Balls is balls, should just play Pool.

If the balls was NFL set, would not matter.
Coco... as soon as the balls come to a rest after the break, an experienced player sees the pattern, whether it’s a Cosmo or you have problems with blockers. Identifying the balls interferes with this process.
I played decent street chess.
I refused to play with pieces that weren’t Staunton design... it messes up your pattern recognition. I guess if you don’t play up to a certain level, it won’t matter too much. You’ll have to take a player’s word for it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Coco... as soon as the balls come to a rest after the break, an experienced player sees the pattern, whether it’s a Cosmo or you have problems with blockers. Identifying the balls interferes with this process.
I played decent street chess.
I refused to play with pieces that weren’t Staunton design... it messes up your pattern recognition. I guess if you don’t play up to a certain level, it won’t matter too much. You’ll have to take a player’s word for it.
As all I play is One Pocket, or 14/1 Color is not a big deal.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the story from Aramith:

While this colour scheme should provide the best contrast between balls, it was not the case in the reality of TV and video transmission, as dark blue, dark purple and maroon could be difficult to distinguish, especially with poor lighting conditions.

To improve this we created the Super Aramith Pro TV set, featuring pink and light brown colours instead of dark purple and maroon. It improved drastically the contrast, and the Super Aramith Pro TV and then the Aramith Tournament TV sets have been - and still are - used successfully in all major tournaments worldwide. Still, the regular Super Aramith Pro and Aramith Tournament sets feature the traditional colours.

In 2018 Matchroom Sport, a leader in the promotion of prestigious pool events, expressed the need to improve further the contrast between balls, especially the orange colour towards red and pink, and dark green towards dark blue.

Anticipating the need to better discern the balls on small screen devices, we developed a light purple to replace orange and a lighter green to replace the darker one, only in the new Aramith Tournament BLACK set. The pink 4-ball having become the reference in official tournaments with the Aramith Tournament TV set, we could not use the light purple for the 4-ball which would have been closer to tradition.

As for the black design on the striped balls , it was first designed for the nine-ball game to better distinguish the 9-ball with the 1-ball. Featured in all striped balls it gives an innovative and groundbreaking look (patent pending).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I got to start watching more cornhole. This pool thing is too complex.

see you guys later,
Fatboy
Eric, you can’t fool me. If you become successful enough that you have Warren Buffett mowing your lawn...you’ll still be a pool player. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to start watching more cornhole. This pool thing is too complex.

see you guys later,
Fatboy
When I was a kid in a small town in Iowa the towns had horseshoe pitching teams. The town I was in had a lighted horseshoe pitching area with bleachers and a bar with snooker tables.

I returned for a class reunion a few years ago and the horseshoe stadium was gone and the bar with snooker tables had been burned down by a guy in an insurance scam. Not sure if they play cornhole. Modern times have kind of passed that place by.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They wanted to sell more balls.

Billiard balls don't wear out. Once the entire pool population has a set how do you sell more? Change the colors.

I feel this was a cash grab that was rather unethical. If you can't run your business such that you can put your customers first and still make a profit then you're doing something wrong or shouldn't be in that business. I think it's gross, so while I play in tournaments with the purple five ball I won't be buying a new set. I vote with my wallet and while I understand it won't make a big impact I can't support this type of business practice.

I do appreciate they sponsor many events to varying degrees and there be more that I don't understand. But I'll stick with my set.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those designing new colors of pool balls have a very low pool I.Q. and are over-qualified to be a commentator.