My thoughts and observations on the Reyes verses Murphy match

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was actually glad Austin didn't look like a 6th grader anymore. That was my whole impression of who was going to be showing up at the challenge match. So although his play was very average, atleast it looked like two adults playing.

He looks like he could be good with some work (this is obvious). Some of the observations of Mike Siegel didn't make too much sense to me. After Murphy had the first break and run which was good, he was almost through his second rack and Mike made a comment on one good to very good position shot (but certainly something a pro should do), that he is now beyond magician status, and that he won't miss another ball. That just totally blew me away, I mean yes I understand if someone isn't really playing that well and then they catch gear that it looks more impressive than if they had been playing that way the whole match. However, that would be the preception of someone who didn't know the game. Mike does, and should know that just because Austin played good for a couple games, that this doesn't mean that much is the larger picture of things. Ironically the rack where Mike started to get really excited Austin didn't get out and lost that rack too.

He also stated that Austin isn't used to tight equipment. Well the match was held at Hollywood Billiards. Anyone who had played there knows the pockets on all the tables they have downstairs are tighter than what they were playing on for the match. So im not really buying the equipment excuse.

Ive seen it a lot where you have a guy (older or younger) that plays really good on a practice table, and then goes to play against someone the play will change dramatically. Thats why I am never impressed with someone that just throws balls on the table and starts to pocket them. I always play from the break and don't take ball in hand, (unless im doing some kind of score keeping test).

Lastly, well we got to see what is in Efren's bag, well im glad I know what kind of cue he plays with now. The MAGIC cue, and his alternate cue, ill have to go out and buy both of those immediately.

But congrats to Austin for getting in there and trying.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Don't forget the Elk Master tips before they are on back order globally!
Austin finally started relaxing and caught a gear.
Alot of us have seen how he can play, and were waiting to see the normal Austin show up.
He's matured alot in the last year, and I'm sure that in another year or two he wil be showing alot more speed and control.
He's living his dream, and I have to take my hat off to him for that.
Mike was probably trying for the ratings thing with some of his comments.
When has he ever said he's glad he's not playing someone?
Ever.
If it wasn't blatantly obvious that he wants to headline another IPT event, I don't know what to call it.
With Trudeau at his side spouting off, and Mike generally basking in his glory, what else could be expected?
The Challenge match was starting to feel like a commercial for "Shoot like Sigel" or something.
Personally though, I'd like to see John and Mike play some straight pool, although 125 points is kind of pointless at that level.
They could have played to 250 and still been over pretty quickly.
Too bad they won't go with some one pocket.
I'd like to see Efren and Chohan play sum.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren was playing a borrowed cue, forgot to ask what happened to his cue as the bevy of girls in front me keeps distracting me!
1202.gif

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
Efren was playing a borrowed cue, forgot to ask what happened to his cue as the bevy of girls in front me keeps distracting me!
1202.gif

Perfectly understandable, my friend! :)

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
YouTube Vid on Efren Reyes before the IPT Match!

murphy.jpg

And for those of you who may have missed it:

Here is the YouTube video featuring Efren Bata Reyes
before the IPT Challenge Match got underway.

The post also includes an IPT player feature on
Austin Murphy. Could be an interesting read, friends!

Much thanks for looking, everyone!

Link is here, friends!

*Congratulations to both Efren and Austin!

:)

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like it wasnt actually held at hollywood, just the interviews were, but they were practicing there before the match.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The event wasn't at Hollywood Billiards. The table was cut differently but was bigger than Hollywood's pockets. Still tough but Efren managed to have all of his "rattlers" fall :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link to the interview. It was VERY quiet in the studio.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dabarbr said:
Great interview. I didn't know that Efren knew sign language.

LOL I was dying laughing watching that pinky fist. It appears it means many things in Pinoy sign lauguage.

Good interview though. The girl talked someone that had played pool.

I was hoping for an answer to the "would you do it all over again" question.

His comment about playing all the young guys is very classy and tells a lot about him.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Austin seems like alot of hype and little more.

The age excuse does not hold water, at age 15 Chia Ching Wu was already playing on the San Miguel tour in Asia and placing very high against the best asia has to offer (before he won the worlds at 16). There is also Yu Lun Wu who younger then Chia Ching has won the world juniors multiple times and placed 17th in the worlds last year.

Maybe Austin is the best 14 year old player in the USA, but that is not saying alot and does not paint a very bright picture for the future of pool in America, Taiwan and the Phillipines are looking like they will dominate pool for a long time to come. There are probably a huge number of 14 year old players in the Phillipines that could dominate Austin and I wonder if Efren thought to himself that very same thing as he breezed through the match.

Something will need to change in this area of the world to get young people into the game again and make it seem a worthwhile sport to get good at. A strong regional junior tournament setup with spots being won to nationals and decent prizes of nice sponsered cues, tables, and bursaries that open at 18. Right now there is no point to a kid in America getting into this game and striving to be good, and it shows.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played on a Diamond........there are NO Diamond tables at Hollywood Billiards. It was held at a studio over by Universal Studios on Ventura Blvd.

Russ..

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a lot of pool players with greater stature than Austin crumble into little pieces when they're playing Efren, and Efren doesn't have to do anything, but flash his toothy smile!
069.gif

Seriously, give the kid a break. Every pool player I knew had to go through a harrowing experience like this, including Efren...

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolhustler said:
They played on a Diamond........there are NO Diamond tables at Hollywood Billiards. It was held at a studio over by Universal Studios on Ventura Blvd.

Russ..

Hey poolhustler, we didn't get to meet there. I was the one who was talking with Efren from the sidelines, and when I decided to seat, I was right behind the eye candies behind John Schmidt and Joe Rogan. Tang Hoa was right beside me.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
To play against the greatest pool player ever on TV table - at 14 years of age - with the whole world watching... now, that has got to be something! And I kid you not!

Again, congratulations to both Efren & Austin!

AnitoKid

:)

gopi-1 said:
I've seen a lot of pool players with greater stature than Austin crumble into little pieces when they're playing Efren, and Efren doesn't have to do anything, but flash his toothy smile!
069.gif

Seriously, give the kid a break. Every pool player I knew had to go through a harrowing experience like this, including Efren...

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Celtic said:
Austin seems like alot of hype and little more.

The age excuse does not hold water, at age 15 Chia Ching Wu was already playing on the San Miguel tour in Asia and placing very high against the best asia has to offer (before he won the worlds at 16). There is also Yu Lun Wu who younger then Chia Ching has won the world juniors multiple times and placed 17th in the worlds last year.

Maybe Austin is the best 14 year old player in the USA, but that is not saying alot and does not paint a very bright picture for the future of pool in America, Taiwan and the Phillipines are looking like they will dominate pool for a long time to come. There are probably a huge number of 14 year old players in the Phillipines that could dominate Austin and I wonder if Efren thought to himself that very same thing as he breezed through the match.

Something will need to change in this area of the world to get young people into the game again and make it seem a worthwhile sport to get good at. A strong regional junior tournament setup with spots being won to nationals and decent prizes of nice sponsered cues, tables, and bursaries that open at 18. Right now there is no point to a kid in America getting into this game and striving to be good, and it shows.

I agree with you completely. The younger talent level in the United States is nothing compared to the talent level in the Asian countries. However, I do not always think that translates to them completely dominating on the world level. Yes Wu has won a couple of world championships at a young age, but on the world scene there is good competition from everywhere. And often we really don't know who is going to be a good pro as compared to just a good amatuer. Look at some popular sports. America's top sports have drafts, and someone may look like a stellar amatuer with great pro potential, but needless to say they don't always pan out among the professional ranks.
So essentially what you saw was a kid who plays probably A level pool, getting beat by a true pro, a world class pro. And don't forget it isn't like this was pick the best young talent on the planet to play efren. It was pick from IPT "pros" to play each other. Austin who shouldn't have been on the tour in the first place, just happened to get picked, the whole thing from the start was wrong, so this should not be a reflection on pool in America. Im not sure Shane at 14 would have done any better.