My thoughts on how Shane can improve.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well..,

All Shane has to do is move to Europe. Simple as that.

If there were 4 or 5 American players that could pressure Shane in regional/national tournaments his game would naturally improve.

He's under a different pressure when he's over seas they aren't sitting back watching him in amazement like his American competitors.

Throw in the pressure (self imposed) and rightfully so because he wants to be known as the best in the world, Undisputed, best and it takes a lot to play as well as he does.

He will get there, because he can square out play, he turn to wear the world crown is coming.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ah, satori.....some aren't ready for enlightenment.

Take care of the game and the game will take care of you.

My first long road trip when I was young....a mentor and the man who made my cue asked...
"So, what did you learn?"
I told him that I learned that the old saw is actually true....
....'It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.'

Easy to say, hard to do sometimes....but it's how a master thinks.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane appears to have a complete game, physically and mentally. His mental game appears stronger than most pros to begin with.....so good luck.

Anything that's going to improve him would have to come from some sort of pro mentor/coach similar to other pro sports. You see this alot in tennis. A top 100 player switches coaches or some other subtle adjustment, then they crack the top 10 in a year.

In Shane's case, he's already around the top of the class in his craft, so like I said....good luck. There isn't much farther to go when you're already at the top....unless he's somehow to go from Andre Agassi to a Roger Federer or something....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ah, satori.....some aren't ready for enlightenment.

Take care of the game and the game will take care of you.

My first long road trip when I was young....a mentor and the man who made my cue asked...
"So, what did you learn?"
I told him that I learned that the old saw is actually true....
....'It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.'

Easy to say, hard to do sometimes....but it's how a master thinks.

...:thumbup2:...

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key to improvement for Shane lies in not needing to win so badly.

Wanting to win is one thing but needing to win takes pressure to a whole other level. It is this "need" that effects your performance when it comes down to the wire, or when things dont go your way, etc.

It's time for another azb favorite... Satori's dating analogy to stress my point. Follow along closely and you will get what Im saying.

If you come at a girl with want then she loves that... if you come with need then you can forget it.

Just the mindset alone improves your game 1000%. Im going to tell you the trick on how to do this. You have to 100% value yourself no matter if you win or lose. If success becomes all that matters then your performance will suffer.

To understand this lets examine confidence and self esteem and the difference between them. If you are confident then you believe that success is automatic. It is easy to approach a girl who is giving you eye contact and smiling, etc., in pool it is also easy to play with confidence stay composed when you know the guy cant beat you. But what about playing a tight match against an opponent who also plays like a god and this match is being viewed around the world and will go down in history? Or for this lesson Ill continue with the analogy of dating... approaching a 10 who dates pro athletes, ceo's, powerful politicians... and she got a boyfriend... how do you approach her with confidence? The secret lies in your self esteem. You have to value yourself no matter what happens and only then can you want instead of need. Its like this. If you had the task of giving away $1,000,000 to a beautiful girl... would you feel bad if she didnt take it? If she said that money was the root of all evil and she didnt want it... it would not phase you because you see the value in the money. You would simply walk over to the next beautiful girl and offer her the money. There is no need only want. Make sense?

It is the same thing with pool. If you need to win. Then you are going to get tight when your confidence is not at an all time high. But if you feel 100% like you are going to be ok no matter what... win or lose... then you will relieve a lot of that stress that comes at the most inoppertune times. It aint easy, in fact its impossible to completely do this, but it becomes easier if your life has balance.

Everyones self esteem can fluctuate and Shane probably has great self esteem most of the time but sometimes I think his desire to be the best is not only what got him so good but also the thing that holds him back and keeps him slightly below Ko or Wu at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

That's a bold and audacious suggestion. Makes me want to have a sit down with Lebron about his game.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane loses one big tourney and all of the sudden he needs a life coach... Some of the people on here are unreal.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I seems that there are quite a few Shane Fanatics that do not seem to realize the difference between need & want nor true motivation & satisfaction.

If Shane is the best, & he certainly may be, then there is a reason or reasons why he does not win more of certain types of tournaments.

If he's happy then that is all that matters. If he's not, then anything might make a difference & who knows what that might be.

If Shane reads this & it strikes a cord with him, it might help him out. I doubt seriously that him reading this could hurt him.

I wonder how foolish some might feel if Shane at some point down the line gives credit to him reading this AZB thread.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seems that there are quite a few Shane Fanatics that do not seem to realize the difference between need & want nor true motivation & satisfaction.

If Shane is the best, & he certainly may be, then there is a reason or reasons why he does not win more of certain types of tournaments.

If he's happy then that is all that matters. If he's not, then anything might make a difference & who knows what that might be.

If Shane reads this & it strikes a cord with him, it might help him out. I doubt seriously that him reading this could hurt him.

I wonder how foolish some might feel if Shane at some point down the line gives credit to him reading this AZB thread.

Probably too busy doing other things...like practicing :rolleyes:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member

I don't gamble much but I'd bet my whole life savings that he has no reason at all to read the nonsense that's on this website. Most of the time it's good, factual information, but then other times, it's just people who think they know everything or have all the answers.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Probably too busy doing other things...like practicing :rolleyes:

Probably so, but one can not really readily 'practice' what is the subject of this thread.

Like someone here said, perhaps he needs to be really challenged more often, so he can then answer those challenges. When one has the experience of really being challenged often one can become more comfortable & confident with responding to those types of challenges & they no longer become a freak occurrence that can then sneak up on one & take them a bit by surprise.

When Nicklaus was at the top of his game he could challenge himself by setting a score to shoot. Shane does not have that type of tool.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I don't gamble much but I'd bet my whole life savings that he has no reason at all to read the nonsense that's on this website. Most of the time it's good, factual information, but then other times, it's just people who think they know everything or have all the answers.

And sometimes it's just someone that is a bit disappointed or has empathy for another & is just trying to help with an idea that came to them.:wink:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Why aren't you guys making a thread to give advice to the other 126 players that didn't win the tournament? But because someone goes to the finals and loses, he warrants "advice" on how to win.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the match on youtube today and Ko got very lucky at times and the commentators were going on and on about it.

Shane does not have to do anything but just continue being Shane. No one that plays nine ball wins all the time its that kind of game. Ko is a great player himself and knows that to win sometimes you got to get the rolls.

I've played sets of nine ball where when my opponent missed they rolled safe time after time. That happens a lot in nine ball.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
9ball this, 9ball that...if you can't handle the extra pressure and drama 9ball has, then stick to the 10ball nonsense. 9ball separates the boys from men and that's why ALL the major tournaments all over the world are 9ball. Deal with it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The next one should be "My thoughts on how Lil Ko can prevent getting horse%&$# by Shane."

Why are you so upset?

Are you a member of Shane's family or an alias for Shane himself?

This is not the first tournament of this type that Shane has lost in a similar manner.

If a pattern is developing, perhaps it should be addressed & not simply overlooked.

It may not be & Shane may win the next dozen such tournaments. I think we are ALL on his side & would love for that to happen.

As someone said regarding tennis, sometimes it is just a matter of having a conversation with someone that can get one over a small hurdle that had been blocking their 'complete' & 'total' success & fulfillment of their potential.

I don't see where anyone is calling Shane a 'bum' or a
'choker' or anything like that.

It seems to me that Satorie just had some question about what might be holding Shane back from reaching his FULL potential.

I think Satorie was just making an 'observation' of what he thinks that MIGHT perhaps be that seems to be keeping Shane from reaching his FULL potential.

He may be wrong... but he might be correct.

But, like I said, if Shane is happy, then that's all that matters.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you math?