My thoughts on how Shane can improve.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9ball this, 9ball that...if you can't handle the extra pressure and drama 9ball has, then stick to the 10ball nonsense. 9ball separates the boys from men and that's why ALL the major tournaments all over the world are 9ball. Deal with it.

Shane is one of the greatest players of his generation. None of your nonsense is gonna change that. Just because Shane beat Dennis O 11-1 do you think that really means that much the next time they match up?

Nine ball has never been a game where the players have equal opportunity. It ain't golf.

Ko beat Shane because he got a lot of rolls and anybody that saw the match knows that. That is not to say Ko is not a bad MFer because his is.

I will say one thing that Ko has one splendid head of hair.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you brain, have?

Jaden

I was merely asking Rick if he understands variance in my usual smart ass way.

Clearly he doesn't when he can make such an asinine statement.

If Shane is the best, & he certainly may be, then there is a reason or reasons why he does not win more of certain types of tournaments.

Sorry you didn't get the joke.

*And for all the people that like to dismiss variance. I'm not saying bad rolls are the only reason Shane (or any player) loses. Playing poorly is a part of variance as well. We can't all play our best 100% of the time.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I was merely asking Rick if he understands variance in my usual smart ass way.

Clearly he doesn't when he can make such an asinine statement.

Sorry you didn't get the joke.

*And for all the people that like to dismiss variance. I'm not saying bad rolls are the only reason Shane (or any player) loses. Playing poorly is a part of variance as well. We can't all play our best 100% of the time.

Jack Nicklaus & Tiger Woods have both said that they are most proud of the wins they achieved when they played no where near to the best of their capabilities, but they found a way to Win even with those rare variances.

Some NFL teams do not play well away from home while others have no real such problem. Why do you think that might be?

That is a rhetorical question to you, as I have no inclination in having a discussion with one who has self admitted to having a smart ass manner.

PS In case you missed it or actually do lack reading comprehension, maybe you should reread the last 5 words of the sentence that you call asinine.

Last edited:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
The key to improvement for Shane lies in not needing to win so badly.

Wanting to win is one thing but needing to win takes pressure to a whole other level. It is this "need" that effects your performance when it comes down to the wire, or when things dont go your way, etc.

It's time for another azb favorite... Satori's dating analogy to stress my point. Follow along closely and you will get what Im saying.

If you come at a girl with want then she loves that... if you come with need then you can forget it.

Just the mindset alone improves your game 1000%. Im going to tell you the trick on how to do this. You have to 100% value yourself no matter if you win or lose. If success becomes all that matters then your performance will suffer.

To understand this lets examine confidence and self esteem and the difference between them. If you are confident then you believe that success is automatic. It is easy to approach a girl who is giving you eye contact and smiling, etc., in pool it is also easy to play with confidence stay composed when you know the guy cant beat you. But what about playing a tight match against an opponent who also plays like a god and this match is being viewed around the world and will go down in history? Or for this lesson Ill continue with the analogy of dating... approaching a 10 who dates pro athletes, ceo's, powerful politicians... and she got a boyfriend... how do you approach her with confidence? The secret lies in your self esteem. You have to value yourself no matter what happens and only then can you want instead of need. Its like this. If you had the task of giving away $1,000,000 to a beautiful girl... would you feel bad if she didnt take it? If she said that money was the root of all evil and she didnt want it... it would not phase you because you see the value in the money. You would simply walk over to the next beautiful girl and offer her the money. There is no need only want. Make sense?

It is the same thing with pool. If you need to win. Then you are going to get tight when your confidence is not at an all time high. But if you feel 100% like you are going to be ok no matter what... win or lose... then you will relieve a lot of that stress that comes at the most inoppertune times. It aint easy, in fact its impossible to completely do this, but it becomes easier if your life has balance.

Everyones self esteem can fluctuate and Shane probably has great self esteem most of the time but sometimes I think his desire to be the best is not only what got him so good but also the thing that holds him back and keeps him slightly below Ko or Wu at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

pull your pants up and keep both hands on the keyboard !!!!

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
rbffh.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with Shane's game! If he continues to do just what he is doing now he will continue to win more tournaments in his HOF career. IMO he is continuing to improve, only getting better as he gains more experience. Shane is a proven champion, one of the best on the planet!

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with Shane's game! If he continues to do just what he is doing now he will continue to win more tournaments in his HOF career. IMO he is continuing to improve, only getting better as he gains more experience. Shane is a proven champion, one of the best on the planet!

Great post. He really is improving. In 2011 he placed 5th in the World 9-Ball Championship. In 2013 he placed 17th, in 2014 he placed 5th, and now he placed 2nd. Only way to go is up. Next year he will take it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It has become obvious that there are a few who don't even know what Satorie is talking about.

Jack Nicklaus was one of if not the greatest players of the game of golf. He has Won More Major Championship Titles than anyone else. Yet, he had a weakness in his game. He did not pitch or chip all that well. When his game began to falter a bit & he 'needed' to pitch & chip more often he went to the short game guru, Dave Peltz, to work on that aspect of his game. He did it because he wanted to continue to Win. He Did... & Won his last Major, The Masters, at the age of 46 which is ancient for Major Championship Golf.

Tom Watson fell one shot short of perhaps winning the The British Open when he was 59.

Ben Hogan, who also was one of, if not the greatest players of the game of golf did not win his first Major until he was 34 & he is 4th on that list behind only Nicklaus, Woods, & Walter Hagen & only 1 of 5 to win the Career grand Slam, while playing The British Open only the one time.

Arnold Palmer never won the PGA. Sam Snead never won the U.S. Open. Both men 'wanted' to win those Titles more than anything, but they also 'needed' to win them to complete their Lifetime Grand Slams to put the icing on the cake of their careers. Perhaps their 'need' overtook their 'want'.

Shane is rather young. He may come to 'dominate' the WORLD... or he may not.

As I said, if he's happy that's ALL that matters.

PS I used Golf because Golf has had consistency in it for many many years & is much easier & reliable when trying to make comparisons between players accomplishments.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
The key to improvement for Shane lies in not needing to win so badly.

Wanting to win is one thing but needing to win takes pressure to a whole other level. It is this "need" that effects your performance when it comes down to the wire, or when things dont go your way, etc.

It's time for another azb favorite... Satori's dating analogy to stress my point. Follow along closely and you will get what Im saying.

If you come at a girl with want then she loves that... if you come with need then you can forget it.

Just the mindset alone improves your game 1000%. Im going to tell you the trick on how to do this. You have to 100% value yourself no matter if you win or lose. If success becomes all that matters then your performance will suffer.

To understand this lets examine confidence and self esteem and the difference between them. If you are confident then you believe that success is automatic. It is easy to approach a girl who is giving you eye contact and smiling, etc., in pool it is also easy to play with confidence stay composed when you know the guy cant beat you. But what about playing a tight match against an opponent who also plays like a god and this match is being viewed around the world and will go down in history? Or for this lesson Ill continue with the analogy of dating... approaching a 10 who dates pro athletes, ceo's, powerful politicians... and she got a boyfriend... how do you approach her with confidence? The secret lies in your self esteem. You have to value yourself no matter what happens and only then can you want instead of need. Its like this. If you had the task of giving away $1,000,000 to a beautiful girl... would you feel bad if she didnt take it? If she said that money was the root of all evil and she didnt want it... it would not phase you because you see the value in the money. You would simply walk over to the next beautiful girl and offer her the money. There is no need only want. Make sense?

It is the same thing with pool. If you need to win. Then you are going to get tight when your confidence is not at an all time high. But if you feel 100% like you are going to be ok no matter what... win or lose... then you will relieve a lot of that stress that comes at the most inoppertune times. It aint easy, in fact its impossible to completely do this, but it becomes easier if your life has balance.

Everyones self esteem can fluctuate and Shane probably has great self esteem most of the time but sometimes I think his desire to be the best is not only what got him so good but also the thing that holds him back and keeps him slightly below Ko or Wu at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

The only thing that stop Shane from winning this is some very lucky rolls KO got.
KO maybe a great player but when he went to bed that night, he thanked the pool Gods and should've , he got away with one here.:wink: Take away the lucky rolls. Shane beats him ugly. KO...lucky a$$. Shane played great considering what he was dealt.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The only thing that stop Shane from winning this is some very lucky rolls KO got.
KO maybe a great player but when he went to bed that night, he thanked the pool Gods and should've , he got away with one here.:wink: Take away the lucky rolls. Shane beats him ugly. KO...lucky a$$. Shane played great considering what he was dealt.

Hi Anthony,

I've won & lost against lucky rolls but I never blamed the loss on the rolls. I always blamed myself for perhaps letting them get to me & not overcoming them. Cardigan Kid has an interesting thread about the match.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone here honestly think one of the greatest players in the world cares what a bunch of guys who spend more time talking about pool then playing it thinks about his game ? Magic 8 ball says no lol

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the absolute dumbest thing I've read on here. Who the hell are any of us to give Shane advice? When you can beat him, then talk.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is the absolute dumbest thing I've read on here. Who the hell are any of us to give Shane advice? When you can beat him, then talk.

If you followed your line of reasoning to the letter....you wouldn't make this post.

We all have the right to our points of view....and, yes, a spectator can actually see
something of value.

If you had to be able to beat everybody to have an opinion on how to play the game...
....then only the best at the time could talk...and everybody else would have to stop
thinking about it.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If you had to be able to beat everybody to have an opinion on how to play the game...
....then only the best at the time could talk...and everybody else would have to stop thinking about it.

And often the best players aren't the best people at explaining how to play the game.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
There is nobody on this site that can or should be tweeking Shanes game. The man is in the top 5 in the world. Are top 1, 2, 3, and 4 on here, if so...who are they? This place is getting to be the biggest pool joke of all. Johnnyt

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of Shanes current game.:clapping::clapping:

Who is anybody here to determine what Shane needs to do to improve? Who said Shane needed to win in the first place? I am sure he wanted to win, but did he actually tell someone in these forums that he needed to win???

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
pull your pants up and keep both hands on the keyboard !!!!

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

There have been a couple of good responses here. I wish there was a "like" button and a "do not like so much" button.

The only valuable but maybe not very insightful advice I feel I could give to Shane, which I am sure he already knows is "don't miss next time"

Last edited:

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
The OP just expressed a few thoughts on SVB's situation just for the sake of discussion between fans of the game. Right or wrong they might be, he never implied he has the answers to SVB's game nor that SVB should read his post and take his advice. Why the lots of you try to ridicule him is beyond me. If we have to reach Shane's level of the game to gain the right to discuss matches and tournaments then these forums should be deserted.