My view on handicapped matches and FR

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In real game situaions- not ball spots as those arent relevant to FR -there will always be players that are not correctly handicapped.

The main problem is the mental aspect of getting or giving a spot. Sometimes Lassie becomes Cujo with a spot and inversely sometimes Cujo turns into Snoopy.

I have seen more better players go on tilt and lose then vice-versa.

In weekly handicapped trnmnts often there are the same winners and if their handicap is increased they still win. It's a simple fact better players make fewer mistake and can recover from them. The better player also is more likely to capitalize on the lesser player mistakes . The weaker player often doesn't capitalize on the few mistakes the better player makes. And to reiterate the mental aspect , the better player is often used to being up against it and finding a way to win.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
What I've seen after playing in these events for a few years now is the main difference is consistency, higher rated players make ALOT less dumb mistakes. The higher rated players normally are on the correct side of the ball for shape, don't over or under hit balls for no reason and generally use alot less English.

Another glaring difference is alot of higher rated players love to trumpet how unfair it all is when they don't win, something just has to be off if they didn't.

Then there are the weekly amd monthly higher rated tournament players that love to tell everyone how they had to come up the hard way losing hundreds of thousands of dollars ( LOL ) to get to a certain skill level, so that's how it should be for all of time.

Fargo handicapped or Capped tournaments are generating record turn outs and massive profits for businesses that truely need the revenue, it's the here and now, and the future of this game, want a better system? Go make one.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the tournaments around here have some kind of Fargo cap. Under 600 as an example. But then, there’s no handicapping within the tournament itself. If you want to win, play better than the other guy. But you know going in, that assuming the tournament Director actually does his job and verifies, there won’t be any 700 studs playing…

When I do see the occasional handicap within a tournament, it tends to favor of the higher rated player. As an example, a game on the wire will be given for every hundred points difference in FargoRate. That’s really not the way the FargoRate handicap is designed to work, but it’s an easy/lazy way for a tournament Director to run a tournament, and most players don’t realize that it’s not really equitable.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a genuine gentleman and member here that went to great efforts to give lesser players what he considered a fair chance. He was very surprised when he reviewed his detailed paperwork over years and found that he won 75% of the bets he gave a spot in!

None of us play our best game all the time. If you think so, bet a thousand on a short game like eight ball, nine ball, or ten ball, or just bet any amount firing an air barrel, any of these situations against tough competition that isn't a friend. I once played a single game of barbox eight ball for a huge sum. I guarantee your game will be beyond what you play over 95% of the time.

That is the real problem with handicapping based on past performance, the better player has more of this "reserve" he can call on. Under enough pressure if he doesn't crack a C player might reach C+. Under the same pressure an A player might play like God for thirty minutes or so. Equally importantly, he has been in the fire many times before and is unlikely to feel as much pressure even if he feels the spot is horse hockey!

One expression we used to read in seemingly every other thread on here, "I outran the nuts!" No you didn't, if the spot is right you are supposed to have to play very near your best to win. If the other player puts out 95% of his best effort and you only marshal 85% of yours, you are supposed to lose!

Handicapping is based on long time performance and will never be perfect for one event or one match-up. Just the way things go. However, if betting the rail on a match with somebody getting the spot, always bet the person giving the spot. Long term I think you are a guaranteed winner.

Hu

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 2 most inherent problems with a handicap based on past performance.

If there is a starting point is it correct ?
A 650 player starting as a 550.

Are there other factors that are no longer the same?
Lots of games in from the past against young opponents- you are now older with a diminished skillset- they are now better players with a fr that reflects it.

It's not perfect but I still endorse fr.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 2 most inherent problems with a handicap based on past performance.

If there is a starting point is it correct ?
A 650 player starting as a 550.

Are there other factors that are no longer the same?
Lots of games in from the past against young opponents- you are now older with a diminished skillset- they are now better players with a fr that reflects it.

It's not perfect but I still endorse fr.

It's the same with all skills, if you swim out to the mid point and sit there treading water, you will be passed. You play a lot, shoot up to a certain skill then don't play for a year, bad things will happen. You are now at an effective skill level lower than you were but your ranking does not change. The solution is simple, if you want to maintain or get better, don't stop playing.

I think the standard starting point for those without a clear known prior skill rating is 450. I have very rarely seen where a player is a total unknown skill rating, you can see how they play within a few games or someone knows how good they are if a new player joins a league for example. "Oh, yea Joe, he plays with Bill and does OK, Bill is a 600 so Joe is about a 600 also".