Mystery Indianapolis Player?

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Saw this picture on eBay and was wondering if anyone knows who the player is- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-9-Bal...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I don't have anything to do with the sale, I love the guys shirt and just thought it was a cool picture. Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a digital watch just like his. Only Ind. player i knew of back then is Steve Oaks and this doesn't look like him.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard that name in the longest time.
He had a restaurant for a while iirc then he started selling insurance. He came to Tulsa in early 80's and i kinda steered him and his road partner around. I think he still plays a little.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Looks a little like a young Matlock...?

Guy in the background looks a little like Keith

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a pretty good player from Indiana named Cecil Messer. Not sure it that's him.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that is Jimmy Reid- born in 1946, he would be 31 there. He was involved in the bigger 9 ball tournaments in that time frame and won one that year in Michigan. This was obviously not just a local tournament from the crowd size you can judge from the photo- I doubt it was a local IND> player- my guess is Jimmy Reid- sure looks like he would in younger days to me. I remember Jimmy coming through Bridgeport CT in the early 1990s for one of the early Joss Tour events. I seem to remember him in the finals against Mike Zuglan and I believe Jimmy took down that tournament- Boston Shorty was there too! for those that know the famous cue maker Paul Drexler in CT- paul set up a cue repair lathe at that tournament in Bridgeport Ct- it was sort of his intro to the pool world from what I can recall.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Jimmy Reid-01-X2.jpg

I would say there is a really good chance it is Jimmy Reid as said above, but I can't confirm.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After seeing the recent picture of Mr. Reid, Look at those bridges...the same. But I don't know.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not jimmy

The hair doesn’t match and although they are both closed bridges, they are a LOT different. Tbh, he looks familiar which is strange because if the time frame, I would never have been in thot part of the country.....still in Alaska!