Naysayers, All of You!

Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.

Finally, there is a post from some young kid with a future goal of going pro looking for a little advice. Next thing you know there is a 6 page thread on how stupid he is and that he should go get a job instead.

What a bunch of naysayers!! Don't crush somebody's dream. What's wrong with somebody pursuing a dream? Would you go to a little league baseball practice and start telling all the kids how they aren't going to be good enough to go pro and most of them won't even be good enough to play in college?

If you want to get the youth involved in pool, let them follow their dreams. Don't be an A-Hole because you weren't good enough yourself or all of your friends weren't good enough or because there isn't enough money in pool or whatever. You should be appreciative that somebody new fell in love with pool! Provide a little support for once...
 
Nobody is busting his bubble. He was asking for opinions and got them. He has enough to make a choice. I said what I would say my dearest friends or family members. I don't know the gent but if he was pro material he would not be here asking what should I do. I would not BS anyone saying drop everything and go for it. Is my post negative or realistic. Also before we tell the person to follow his dream.....would you want to see his promo vid. I would, I don't support sight unseen. Nobody said he or his idea is stupid. Life is about plans and dreams. Chances have to be taken.... also they have to be selective. What do I know...I'm just an old man talking.
 
Last edited:
It's a discussion board, not a cheerleading board. I think people that ask questions, myself include deserve an honest opinion from the more experience members...

Sure, those opinions are sometimes salty, but that the internet in general and comes with the territory.

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer is my view.
 
Nobody is busting his bubble. He was asking for opinions and got them. He has enough to make a choice. I said what I would say my dearest friends or family members. I don't know the gent but if he was pro material he would not be here asking what should I do. I would not BS anyone saying drop everything and go for it. Is my post negative or realistic. Also before we tell the person to follow his dream.....would you want to see his promo vid. I would, I don't support sight unseen. Nobody said he or his idea is stupid. Life is about plans and dreams. Chances have to be taken.... also they have to be selective. What do I know...I'm just an old man talking.

It's a discussion board, not a cheerleading board. I think people that ask questions, myself include deserve an honest opinion from the more experience members...

Sure, those opinions are sometimes salty, but that the internet in general and comes with the territory.

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer is my view.

Here are the three questions he asked:

1. How do I find tournaments?
2. How do you manage expenses while playing as a touring professional?
3. How do you go about getting sponsored?

Nowhere in his thread did he ask for advice on whether or not it was a good idea to follow his dream of being a professional. So why offer your opinion? Especially if it's negative?

Why do you feel the need to have him submit a video showing how well he plays? What does that have to do with anything? Do you think people that have become pros never started off as beginners? You know nothing about this kid and his skill level has nothing to do with anything at this point.
 
Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.



I think it depends on what you choose to read.

I have not even read the thread you are talking about.

My impression of the forum is very positive.


.
 
Here are the three questions he asked:

1. How do I find tournaments?
2. How do you manage expenses while playing as a touring professional?
3. How do you go about getting sponsored?

Nowhere in his thread did he ask for advice on whether or not it was a good idea to follow his dream of being a professional. So why offer your opinion? Especially if it's negative?

Why do you feel the need to have him submit a video showing how well he plays? What does that have to do with anything? Do you think people that have become pros never started off as beginners? You know nothing about this kid and his skill level has nothing to do with anything at this point.

Are we talking about M Ghost thread or maybe I read the wrong thread. This threads smells English. You're on the same course
 
Last edited:
Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.

Finally, there is a post from some young kid with a future goal of going pro looking for a little advice. Next thing you know there is a 6 page thread on how stupid he is and that he should go get a job instead.

What a bunch of naysayers!! Don't crush somebody's dream. What's wrong with somebody pursuing a dream? Would you go to a little league baseball practice and start telling all the kids how they aren't going to be good enough to go pro and most of them won't even be good enough to play in college?

If you want to get the youth involved in pool, let them follow their dreams. Don't be an A-Hole because you weren't good enough yourself or all of your friends weren't good enough or because there isn't enough money in pool or whatever. You should be appreciative that somebody new fell in love with pool! Provide a little support for once...

I agree with what your writing. I'm sure the poster you refer to has close family and friends that he can ask about his career choice/choices. They would be more informed on his personal life and finances.
He merely came onto this forum to ask opinions and experiences from actual pool players. Most players or users on this forum would have no clue what it takes to go on the road and make a living playing pool. Becoming a Pro would be even tougher with trying to get sponsors and all the traveling expenses.
I never responded to any of those threads because I don't feel qualified to give any advice on that topic. I wish him well and good luck. If he makes it, Great! If not he at least gave it a whirl.... When he is old and gray some day he can look back and say "at least I gave it a try", most of us can't say that.
 
Here are the three questions he asked:

1. How do I find tournaments?
2. How do you manage expenses while playing as a touring professional?
3. How do you go about getting sponsored?

Nowhere in his thread did he ask for advice on whether or not it was a good idea to follow his dream of being a professional. So why offer your opinion? Especially if it's negative?

Why do you feel the need to have him submit a video showing how well he plays? What does that have to do with anything? Do you think people that have become pros never started off as beginners? You know nothing about this kid and his skill level has nothing to do with anything at this point.

Because it's a discussion forum, not a strict question and answer forum - there are differences. If you post a topic on a discussion forum you should expect...wait for it... discussion.
 
Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.

Finally, there is a post from some young kid with a future goal of going pro looking for a little advice. Next thing you know there is a 6 page thread on how stupid he is and that he should go get a job instead.

What a bunch of naysayers!! Don't crush somebody's dream. What's wrong with somebody pursuing a dream? Would you go to a little league baseball practice and start telling all the kids how they aren't going to be good enough to go pro and most of them won't even be good enough to play in college?

If you want to get the youth involved in pool, let them follow their dreams. Don't be an A-Hole because you weren't good enough yourself or all of your friends weren't good enough or because there isn't enough money in pool or whatever. You should be appreciative that somebody new fell in love with pool! Provide a little support for once...

Theres a point in time where if you can't play competetive baseball, you cant get on a team and earn a living. Billiards has no teams and no way of preventing one from pursuing a dream, and the truth, as painful as it may be, there is no living playing pool. Im not just talking about being rich, there really isnt a living at all. Even a minor league baseball player is making money to live on. The equivalent of which in the billiard world, we'll say 'the shortstop,' cant make two nickels to live on. Why ruin a good future doing anything in the world to make a better living by feeding a dream that is 99.999% going to fail?

All the community did was suggest playing a safe, so he can at least still stay in the game...
 
Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.

Finally, there is a post from some young kid with a future goal of going pro looking for a little advice. Next thing you know there is a 6 page thread on how stupid he is and that he should go get a job instead.

What a bunch of naysayers!! Don't crush somebody's dream. What's wrong with somebody pursuing a dream? Would you go to a little league baseball practice and start telling all the kids how they aren't going to be good enough to go pro and most of them won't even be good enough to play in college?

If you want to get the youth involved in pool, let them follow their dreams. Don't be an A-Hole because you weren't good enough yourself or all of your friends weren't good enough or because there isn't enough money in pool or whatever. You should be appreciative that somebody new fell in love with pool! Provide a little support for once...
One of the most active members on here was looking to play pro speed (not be a pro, just play well enough). He was run off by the same naysayers. Pretty bad and I imagine there are a lot of lurkers who don't want to even make their first post because of it and some of the other garbage you see on these boards.



Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Pool needs to do this...

Pool needs to do that...

We need to get our youth involved...

Blah, Blah, Blah...

That's all I ever hear on here.

Finally, there is a post from some young kid with a future goal of going pro looking for a little advice. Next thing you know there is a 6 page thread on how stupid he is and that he should go get a job instead.

What a bunch of naysayers!! Don't crush somebody's dream. What's wrong with somebody pursuing a dream? Would you go to a little league baseball practice and start telling all the kids how they aren't going to be good enough to go pro and most of them won't even be good enough to play in college?

If you want to get the youth involved in pool, let them follow their dreams. Don't be an A-Hole because you weren't good enough yourself or all of your friends weren't good enough or because there isn't enough money in pool or whatever. You should be appreciative that somebody new fell in love with pool! Provide a little support for once...

Flip, not sure why you are taking this so hard.
I have to respectfully agree with a few above.

People ask questions and they will get answers on this forum.
Answers are (fortunately) varied and members can take what they will from the lot.

Granted, some replies are negative, although I don't see giving advice such as go to school, get a job, as necessarily bad.

From what I remember, the 'kid' who inquired about wanting advice, did not complain about the responses he received.
So why should anyone else in his stead?

Why are we so damn politically correct these days?
 
Last edited:
I'm kinda in between on this situation.
You can have a job.....and pursue your dream.
Which is what a very sensible Sam Lambert is doing.

Steve Mizerak taught school till he was 36....at which point he found that it was costing him money to keep that job.
the Miz was very good at teaching also....had a lot of awards.
 
I'm kinda in between on this situation.
You can have a job.....and pursue your dream.
Which is what a very sensible Sam Lambert is doing.

Steve Mizerak taught school till he was 36....at which point he found that it was costing him money to keep that job.
the Miz was very good at teaching also....had a lot of awards.

Indeed. Giving advice of getting a job and/or going to school, does NOT obviate the
chance or opportunity to still follow one's dreams --whatever those dreams might be.

That's why excellent organizations such as the Billiards Education Foundation exist;
to entice youngsters to stay in school.

As I have said before in not so many words, in today's world, no one should focus solely on pool.
There is no reason why a player can't be a great pool player AND become well-rounded.
Technology makes this possible.

No excuses, youngsters!!
 
Back
Top