Need a change of pace, try 14.1...

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
After reading the TOI v No aiming system thread, maybe it time for more 14.1. That's mostly all I play now, and have gotten a few hooked on it.

There is plenty of statergy needed, accurate position play, real back and forth safety battles, very little luck and a person with a wider range of shotmaking skills will shine. Combos, caroms and banks become a necessary skill and are not to be avoided as some instructor stated.

Being a point game, fouls cost you points, BIH is from behind the head string shooting any ball down table and normally happens with a cb scratch

You got to call your shots....x until y pocket.....no hitting and hoping. The game starts with a safety shot, normally, not bust open the rack, make no shot and leave a open table to control like in 8/9 ball. He who controls the table wins.

You must learn how to open up a rack. And I dont mean a break shot to open a rack up. But opening a rack slowly at times, one ball at a time. How to open a rack up while during a safety battle such that when your opponent misses that cb position by mm leaving you a shot because you were able to move balls out of the rack during the safety battle.

Shot sequence is all up to you unlike 9 ball. Choose the wrong sequence, an your run ends and when that happens, you better now how to play safe.

Those that don't understand the importance of safeties in any pool game have a weak safety game.

If you need a change of pace, try 14.1
Fwiw
 
IMO people just starting out in pool should start with 14.1 first and also learn 3 cushion and maybe snooker. After running a rack or 3 in 14.1, making a few billiards in a row, and playing some snooker you'll pick up any other game fast. Also 14.1 is a good game to practice and play even if you've been playing rotation games and 8 ball for years. Johnnyt
 
Its my favourite game, by far. I turned to rotation pretty late on, maybe 5 years ago or so and 14.1 even later but once I learned the game I was hooked. Its a real shame I struggle to find people to play with here. It transformed my 8b, 9b and 10b games like there were no tomorrow. Gave me a new outlook all those games, strategy and it helps you to deal with clusters like no other game.

I've been putting in atleast 1-2 hours of 14.1 a day, purely chasing my high run. Could I do that playing the rotation ghost? No. I get bored after a few racks.
 
Best game going, with 1pkt running a close second IMO and for me, if I had to pick a third best game, I'd have to go with 8 ball.

9 ball and 10 ball get so redundant I just can't play either for more than a few games.

While there is a degree of luck in all pool games, straight pool by far is the game with the least luck factor. ( and that may be the reason all the hot shots stay away from it.It is a very humbling game to folks with a big ego :) )

Pattern play, planning ahead to map your last 4 or 5 shots so you're in line for the next rack break shot. There is a lot of analyzing and thinking involved. (which is IMO the second reason it's not more popular)

It is the true game that should be used to determine world champions.
 
Back
Top