Need Help Breaking from the Middle or anywhere off the rail

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I hit the head ball nice and square from the siderail(9 ball) and headrail (8ball) with my bridge hand on the rail. I can hit them nice and square for both hard and med breaks.

The problem is, anytime I want to try breaking with my bridge hand off from the rail, I can't hit the ball nicely. Even if I take some speed, same result.

I heard Jeanette Lee make a comment during the Bartum/Bustamante match (or was it Corey Deuel in the Bustamante/Kiamco match?) that some players prefer to break from the siderail because they haven't gotten the timing right from breaking near centre of the table.

I really want to learn how to break with my bridge off the rails but I just can't get it right. What are the things that someone wanting to break this way must look for?

I'm leaning towards not getting the timing right but I'm not sure why they would be different?

Please advise?
 
I always break between the foot spot and the rail. I find that i can control the ball better from there. I can keep the cue in the center if i break about 2/3 my max speed. I aim dead center cueball and straight inline to the one. I dont pocket balls off the break as much but i have that control. If i use bottom right from the same position i will pocket a ball almost every time and usually two. But the cue will scratch in side sometimes using bottom right. The weight and balance of a cue will affect the outcome. I dont use a break cue. I always break with my playing cue. I makes more sense you get used to controlling the cueball with the cue your playing with so it is easier to control it off the break also.
 
Last edited:
Listen to this guy - he knows a thing or two about breaking the balls -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3U-qUPU134

I get the transfer of energy part.

My problem is I can do that when I'm breaking with my bridge hand on the rail. Any time it comes off the rail (when my bridge hand is on the table bed), and it doesn't matter where it is on the table, either the timing is off wasting the energy I gained or I can't even hit the headball squarely, even with reduced speed (your book says reduce speed :thumbup:).

Should the level of the bridge because of the rail make any difference?
 
do u look at your contact point on the cb?

As stated before try to hit dead center on the cue ball it will come you just have to practice.
 
do u look at your contact point on the cb?

As stated before try to hit dead center on the cue ball it will come you just have to practice.

I usually break from the siderail...and yea I look at the cb. When I'm breaking close to centre of the table.....I don't really know..haha

anyone else have or had similar experience and how did you fix it?
 
Last edited:
I have the same exact result as you are talking about.

I can break great from the rail on both sides without issue. Even breaking off the end rail is pretty good.

When I'm breaking from the box I feel I need to take a ton of speed off to make sure that I don't scratch (Or fly it off the table). OR, I do completely different break and really concentrate on keeping my cue level all the way through.

When I break 9-ball off the left rail, I put a little low outside english and am able to make 1-2 balls almost everytime and squat the cue ball back a foot or two towards the middle of the table. I wish I could do the same from "the box".
 
I would recommend investigating the stability of your bridge. if you have a better rail bridge than a flat table bridge then you will be able to hit the ball more solidly when breaking from the rail. Try to keep your bridge hand firmly planted to the table and follow through A LOT.

hope this helps.

This ALMOST goes without stating, but if you can post a video of yourself breaking, then you will get all the feedback you need.
 
I would recommend investigating the stability of your bridge. if you have a better rail bridge than a flat table bridge then you will be able to hit the ball more solidly when breaking from the rail. Try to keep your bridge hand firmly planted to the table and follow through A LOT.

Absolutely!

Like 99.9% of Pool players here in the UK I play with an open bridge.
So breaking off the side rail is by far the strongest option every time.
Trying to use a looped bridge in the break box is like trying to break
with an Eel, I have no control over the cue due to a weak bridge.
And it hurts my fingers like hell as I try to plant them more firmly.

Practice is my only option I guess! LOL
 
i can't post up a video. But I'm sure there are general trends out there to as why this problem occurs and not just idiosyncrasies of my shot.

I guess not looking at the cb and an unstable bridge could be the culprit.

I'm still wondering how guys break from the box.
 
It's because you're trying to break too hard. You've learned how to do it with a rail bridge, now you need to learn it the other way. Start by shooting it just like any other shot. Stay down on the ball and use a level stroke. Then slowly start incorporating your body into it. just like anything else, it takes time to develop a good break.
 
Back
Top