Need help with Cue Companion

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Hey guys, I picked up a Cue Companion as travel lathe so I don't have to keep moving my 6 foot Mid America. Anyways it has the standard non-reversing motor on it. I have some KB controllers. I should be able to wire this up with a KB and have reverse with this motor correct? Sorry, electrical and wiring is not my strong side.

Thanks for any help

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Ah, no.
If the mtr is non-reversing, it's non-reversing.
If it has reversing capabilities it will likely have a tag/plate on the mtr
stating the correct wiring for either direction.
KB boards are for controlling DC mtrs.
If you have a permanent magnetic DC mtr, no problem.
In the absence of a PM-DC mtr, you can physically flip your current mtr.
Not practical but that's what you've got.

HTHs, KJ

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
KJ, I think this is a PM motor or at least that's what the website says. There is two motor options for it and I think that the one is just cheaper do to not having the controller included. All you get is a basic box for speed control.

Darcy, yes that is exactly the way this one is set up. I just would rather be able to hit a switch instead having to pop the belt and turn the motor around.

If nobody else has had any experience with these, I may just give Jim a call and see what I can find out.

Thanks Guys!

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If it plugs into the wall and the wire runs directly to the mtr.
then it's probably not PM-DC.
If it's an AC mtr that has wiring for reverse then all you would need is a reversing switch.
DPDT, I like 'center off'.
If it's a DC mtr, it will already have a controller board. You'd just need a reversing switch.

KJ

Leitnemup

Registered
I hope these pics help. I picked up the plastic dual switch box at home depot and used a double lightswitch cover. The toggle switch is 125v/3amp also at home depot. From the motor take the whit and black wires and solder to the center two poles. You won't use the green. Then from the existing throttle control you solder the red to positive and green to negative on the little black thing in pic 3. From there follow the pic 2.View attachment 338552
[/ATTACH]

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
just a comment..........

Your reversing switch should be a on-off-on switch so you can stop in the middle and let the motor stop and then reverse. With a straight forward and reverse switch you risk damage to the diode bridge, the light dimmer and the motor.............

Kim

Leitnemup

Registered
Noted, but when i use it, I only switch direction when I need to clean a shaft and never touch during normal use. I simply turn it off and then switch directions. Just made due with what I found that day.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can save u lot of time if u want the motor to reverse simply slide belt off then slide the whole switch motor combo off spin it around to the other end peg and put belt back on it only takes about 1 min if that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Leitnemup, thanks for all the help! I am just getting a chance to work on this and well.... I guess I had the resistor touching something else. Well after the pop and the smoke cleared it had blown the side out of the resistor.

I have another question if anyone could maybe answer it. I have seen two different ways to wire a DPDT switch. Maybe it's the same but just wired reverse from each other?
DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg

dpdt.gif

One has the motor wired from the center two poles like Leitnemup showed me and the other has the power going to the center poles.

Thanks for any help!