Need opinions on 9 foot home table.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everybody! I have an 8 ft. home table in my room. I am considering enlarging the room so it will hold a nine ft. with plenty of space. I need opinions on the best nine ft. home tables for under $1000. My eight ft. Is an American Heritage Britton. It was set up good so it plays good. I can't afford a nice gold crown or diamond, so that's why I need some good opinions on the others. Used tables are pretty reasonable in my area so $1000 should do it. All suggestions appreciated......:thumbup:
 
You are in a good position, you don't have to be pressed for a table. Take your time shopping, hold out for the gold crown.

Save your money,. it is worth it, IMO.
 
What black balled said wait a bit sell urs and go buy gold or diamond sometimes u can find pretty good deals on gold crown just have too look
 
What black balled said wait a bit sell urs and go buy gold or diamond sometimes u can find pretty good deals on gold crown just have too look

I know there are different GC models, years, etc. What would be the least expensive but still be of GC quality?
 
You'd be amazed at what you can get if you hold out a little. I recently picked up a table for a great price. Granted, it needs some restoration work and took me a year to find but the point is that if you are patient and willing to travel a little to pick it up, there are some good deals out there.

I'd recommend using a tool like SearchTempest.com that will let you search craigslist postings from different areas based on a mileage radius from your zip code. Play with it a little though. Just putting "Brunswick Gold Crown" risks missing the tables where people either don't spell something right or forget to list that it's a Gold Crown at all. Just putting "Brunswick" gets you too much bowling nonsense.

Try combinations like "Brunswick Pool Table 9" to see if that gets better results. After awhile you'll end up with a combination that you can just try every few days to see if one shows up on the radar. There are other tools where you can put in terms like that and it will send you the result by email but I had sketchy results with those and by doing it manually I could broaden the search on slower days and look at some ads that other people may have missed.

If you don't have a pretty big van or truck you may also want to factor in the cost of renting a truck to get it home. It cost me about $180 to bring my table home. Still worth it to me but the cost of doing that may vary for you. And, of course, if you're driving a decent distance and having to rent a truck make sure to ask lots of questions so you don't waste your time and money on a table that ends up having a destroyed slate or other defect not worth the money to fix.

Sorry for the long response but I just went down this road so its fresh in my mind.
 
I know there are different GC models, years, etc. What would be the least expensive but still be of GC quality?

From my experience, its going to depend a lot on the history of the table. I've seen GC1s that almost looked brand new and were obviously babied and GC3s that were torn up and needed way too much work.

You should probably just assume that you'll need to replace cloth and if the cushions are more than a couple of years old those as well. However, the advantage of a GC, even an older one, is that you might actually get your money back out of it. A brand new, $1000 off-brand home table is probably not worth half that as soon as it's setup in your home.
 
Hello everybody! I have an 8 ft. home table in my room. I am considering enlarging the room so it will hold a nine ft. with plenty of space. I need opinions on the best nine ft. home tables for under $1000. My eight ft. Is an American Heritage Britton. It was set up good so it plays good. I can't afford a nice gold crown or diamond, so that's why I need some good opinions on the others. Used tables are pretty reasonable in my area so $1000 should do it. All suggestions appreciated......:thumbup:

Sell ur current table for whatever I can get. Then dont buy another table; BUY LESSONS!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL - Just kidding of course! ;)

Seriously though, if you are patient and possibly able to maybe travel a couple hundred miles a half decent Gold Crown WILL pop up for a grand or so. U will be SOOOOO MUCH HAPPIER with the Gold Crown than anything else (excluding a Diamond of course ). But yes, just be patient and show some restraint and YOU WILL find a GC for sure.

For those that will say impossible, no way cause I've SEEN MANY GC" S IN this price range for myself so I KNOW it can be done!!!!!

If you are seriously serious about this bro I'd be happy to send u the info next time I see one that fits this bill if ud like me to bro. Honestly of course not every day but I prob do see something as such every month or two more or less.

Only reason I dont snatch them up when I see 'em is cause I honestly just don't have any more storage room.

Good Luck in any case brother!!!!!!
 
From my experience, its going to depend a lot on the history of the table. I've seen GC1s that almost looked brand new and were obviously babied and GC3s that were torn up and needed way too much work.

You should probably just assume that you'll need to replace cloth and if the cushions are more than a couple of years old those as well. However, the advantage of a GC, even an older one, is that you might actually get your money back out of it. A brand new, $1000 off-brand home table is probably not worth half that as soon as it's setup in your home.

Are you saying cushions are only good for 2 years? Is that the advice you want to
stay with?

Dale
 
Are you saying cushions are only good for 2 years? Is that the advice you want to
stay with?

Dale

No, but my experience with people selling them is that they either forget or exaggerate so if someone tells you they replaced them a couple of years ago it's probably been a lot longer than that.
 
No, but my experience with people selling them is that they either forget or exaggerate so if someone tells you they replaced them a couple of years ago it's probably been a lot longer than that.

Generally speaking, what are the expirations on rubbers?
 
Yes, I definitely agree with a lot of the posters. I have picked up two GCs' over the years. I got a GC 4 for $1,100. Used it your a few years, sold it for $1,100. The next one I got GC 1 for $500 bucks, put $600 into it with new rails, new pockets, simonis 760, and installation. Used it for a couple years, sold it last year for $1,1000. Best place to check is Craigs List. Sometimes a lot of people do not know what they are getting rid of. Don't ever buy new..... New Pool Tables are like cars; they depreciate in value and you will never recover nothing near what you paid, if you are looking to resale down the line. Hope this info helps...
 
Yes, I definitely agree with a lot of the posters. I have picked up two GCs' over the years. I got a GC 4 for $1,100. Used it your a few years, sold it for $1,100. The next one I got GC 1 for $500 bucks, put $600 into it with new rails, new pockets, simonis 760, and installation. Used it for a couple years, sold it last year for $1,1000. Best place to check is Craigs List. Sometimes a lot of people do not know what they are getting rid of. Don't ever buy new..... New Pool Tables are like cars; they depreciate in value and you will never recover nothing near what you paid, if you are looking to resale down the line. Hope this info helps...

Amen brother!!! U ARE SPEAKING THE TRUTH! So anyhows what is your opinion on the rubbers???
 
Yes, I definitely agree with a lot of the posters. I have picked up two GCs' over the years. I got a GC 4 for $1,100. Used it your a few years, sold it for $1,100. The next one I got GC 1 for $500 bucks, put $600 into it with new rails, new pockets, simonis 760, and installation. Used it for a couple years, sold it last year for $1,1000. Best place to check is Craigs List. Sometimes a lot of people do not know what they are getting rid of. Don't ever buy new..... New Pool Tables are like cars; they depreciate in value and you will never recover nothing near what you paid, if you are looking to resale down the line. Hope this info helps...

Yea u are right I've found few on craigslist for dirt cheap :thumbup:
 
OP, a buddy of mine just closed up his pool hall back in OCT. He had a bunch of tables for sale that he had left over that didn't sell. As of right this second I dont know what he has left but its worth a PM. His handle on AZ is Levi. His birth name is Rickers

Ps, if ya wanna go big he actually had a 6x12 for sale too!!!
 
I'm not sure where you are located so this is probably too far but it's a good example of the type of ad you're going to find.

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/spo/4902557010.html

Is it a Gold Crown? No idea. It doesn't say "Gold Crown" but it doesn't have any other model name either or even a date. And there are no pictures. Realistically this is not a good craigslist ad. However, it might be a GC4 in mint condition. You don't know until you call the person and see.

Here's another:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/spo/4932087073.html

Once again, horrible ad. You won't know unless you contact the seller.

Some simple suggestions:

1. Never transfer any money in advance. Ever!

2. Get them to take a cell picture and send it to you at the very least.

3. If its disassembled already, try to get the parts list online or at least a diagram ahead of time so you know to look for all the parts. It sucks to drive a long way and miss that one of the aprons is in the seller's garage behind the table saw.

4. Don't be afraid to just call the number. Sometimes these tables are being sold by older people who just don't like to text.
 
Last edited:
There are lots of old Gold Crowns out there for around $1000.

Chances are, the table will need some work to make it playable/presentable.

Unless you plan on breaking down, moving, and re-assembling the table yourself, you should plan on spending at least $350 - $500 to pay a reputable mechanic to get it moved & set up for you.

Tack on a few more benjamins if you want new Simonis.
 
Back
Top