Need Original Gold Crown Rail Bolts

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
A little tech tip, if you ever have trouble with a worn or damaged Phillips head screw get some valve grinding compound used on engines, it has grit in it, just squeeze a little on the head, you would be amazed at the difference it makes when trying to remove Phillips screws with damaged heads, it truly is a lifesaver in the rust belt.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After running the roads playing pool all over the USA back in the 70's I decided to stop living out of Hotel rooms. Went back to school and a business degree was attained, then hit the road again as a salesman with one of the largest hardware firms in the country working primarily with the larger furniture manufacturers. I had one customer that I sold 4 containers a month of an #8X 1/2 pan screw each month for about 5 years..I got to know a lot about fasteners LOL. 37 years at this work as a detective for all types of parts,, when it comes to hardware we are the best in the biz. These stainless parts will be close to case harness, in stainless bolts , they are close to grade 8 , which is automotive hardness and without hydrogen em-brittlement issues which causes most of the lesser grade screws to break. Thanks for the kudos Trent

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little tech tip, if you ever have trouble with a worn or damaged Phillips head screw get some valve grinding compound used on engines, it has grit in it, just squeeze a little on the head, you would be amazed at the difference it makes when trying to remove Phillips screws with damaged heads, it truly is a lifesaver in the rust belt.
Another little tip on trying to remove parts is put the driver in the head and as your turning the part out slowly , be tapping the base of the screwdriver with a hammer at the same time your turning the part,,it's amazing how this will help remove or also make a few extra turns of the part to go deeper.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi guys,

I need six (6) of the original Gold Crown I rail bolts. They are 3/8-16 x 2" slotted head hex bolts. Yes, they are probably rusty, that's the way I like them!

Willing to pay a reasonable price plus shipping.

Regards,

jv

p.s. Trent, I sent a PM to you on this, I guess you're busy, or on the road! :)
What's so special about them that you can't buy them from Home Depot or Lowes??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wasn't aware that screws came in hardened variety. Typically, there's not enough carbon in a steel screw to harden it. You might have luck case-hardening it, though. I assume you want hardened so there's less chance of messing up the head?

I actually prefer a slotted screw head for this kind of thing. With a properly sized screwdriver, you need nearly zero axial force when turning the screw, and if the bit fits, it's not going to slip out. If you need a bit for a power driver that fits these, you're probably going to have to have it made for you by a machinist, though.
All you need to do is predrilled the hole first, they work fine then..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I LOVE YOU CHIP. I been lookin for these for ever!! i have found some local "niche" suppliers that have gotten me stuff that is close to the size and thickness i want, but they all are cheap and BREAK! These look solid. I am going to order some. This is how forums are supposed to work! INPUT= OUTPUT> LOVE IT! Hope you are all having a great day!

TFT
Have none of you ever heard of pre-drilling the slate screw hole first🤫