Need to buy a case

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I just got my new case from John Barton today...

If I could post pics I would, on first look, it's awesome!
Have to break it in a bit but it is sweet ;)

Took a while to get, but it's just like anything else, quality takes time

I will post a review after a month or two of use

berlowmj2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
springs

Some expensive cases have small springs at the bottom of each hole to facilitate extraction of the cues.

These springs can be purchased at Lowes Hardware for less than a dollar apiece & put in a cheaper case.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Some expensive cases have small springs at the bottom of each hole to facilitate extraction of the cues.

These springs can be purchased at Lowes Hardware for less than a dollar apiece & put in a cheaper case.

True. But you want to be careful to insure that they don't get wedged sideways in the case. Also they take up room.

In the Organic Rebound interior that we use for the Wave cases there are no springs or any type of metal INSIDE the cavity where the cues are kept. We use a certain type of fabric that is stretchy in one direction combined with elastic bands to provide the "springiness" of the cavity. This has the combined effect of allowing the full cavity to be used and allows for the cavity to still be outfitted with foam rubber padding as the whole thing rises to push the cue up.

I have seen a few cases where the spring got wedged about halfway up the tube causing the cue to not able to be inserted. And in one of them the end of the coil was sticking up with a sharp point in the cavity.

It's not always easy to just stick springs in and have them work right. So be careful and use a cue that's not too valuable to test with until you are satisfied and confident that the installation is good.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks to all who have posted:thumbup:
i decided to get a 3x6 john barton case called "black small gater"
http://www.indyq.com/cases/barton-JB/barton-142/barton-142-enlargement.html
i bought it from 1ndyQ shop
http://www.indyq.com/cases/barton-JB/index.html
roy the owner was very easy to work with
he even spoke to john about making me a case but the wait time was 3-4 months
the black small gater was the size i wanted and close enough to what i wanted ( i wanted a "simpler looking "design, this one is alittle "fancy " looking for me)
im excited
i should have my new case in a few days
i should also add i pm john and he was prompt to answer my questions
all in all im a very happy customer:)

T-Dawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a twenty year old Swift case,looks like new.These cases are built for war,enough said.

T-Dawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swift case

This is a twenty year old case that has seen many wars and many more to come.It holds all that and more,lol.

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey John. I know you can pretty much do whatever a customer wants, but not being an artist or designer, it's not easy to order a custom tooled/carved case. The design, coloring, shading, etc..

There are several people creating very unique tooled/carved hard cases, but the butterfly soft case offerings are more limited.

Curious, is the cost to build an envelope case the same, more or less than a comparable hard case ? Let's assume some carving, tooling, stamping.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hey John. I know you can pretty much do whatever a customer wants, but not being an artist or designer, it's not easy to order a custom tooled/carved case. The design, coloring, shading, etc..

There are several people creating very unique tooled/carved hard cases, but the butterfly soft case offerings are more limited.

Curious, is the cost to build an envelope case the same, more or less than a comparable hard case ? Let's assume some carving, tooling, stamping.

The way we build the butterfly cases the cost is about the same. I have to distinguish them from the envelope cases though. Envelope cases are much easier to make and we price the lower accordingly.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Or even easier just go to your nearest CTE aiming thread and contact him there.

I guarantee you that you can't reach me in one of those threads. I have 10k bet on it.

The point Lisa was making is that I am not the best guy to contact about ordering a case. You can talk case construction with me all day and talk concepts and the industry and aiming and whatnot but I am not good with paperwork and follow-up on details of orders.

Sorry, but that's the way it is. I prefer to invent new case features and do research and find fascinating art that other people have done and let that wash over me for inspiration to see where it takes me. I don't do well in a structured 'must answer now and be in salesman mode.' environment. Sometimes I am just not in the right frame of mind to answer questions.

Does that make me suck? Yeah kinda. But someone once said hire for your weaknesses and that's what I have done and continue to do. My wife Karen is now well versed in how to handle orders and as soon as we figure out a rock-solid system to get the orders in and processed it will flow.

Karen@jbideas.com

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
Another vote for JB. I bought a prototype from John a few months ago. Best case ever!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
thanks to all who have posted:thumbup:
i decided to get a 3x6 john barton case called "black small gater"
http://www.indyq.com/cases/barton-JB/barton-142/barton-142-enlargement.html
i bought it from 1ndyQ shop
http://www.indyq.com/cases/barton-JB/index.html
roy the owner was very easy to work with
he even spoke to john about making me a case but the wait time was 3-4 months
the black small gater was the size i wanted and close enough to what i wanted ( i wanted a "simpler looking "design, this one is alittle "fancy " looking for me)
im excited
i should have my new case in a few days
i should also add i pm john and he was prompt to answer my questions
all in all im a very happy customer:)

You are going to be sooooooo happy with this case...seriously. Congrats on the new case....bet it's even nicer in the hand. BTW....that case kicks butt!! Very nice, very nice!

Lisa