Needing help taking the game to that "next level"

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider myself a decent "league" player. I not to long ago was moved up to a 7 in 8 ball in our local APA league. Since then I have seemed to struggle. I would like to get myself to that level when I feel like it doesn't matter who I play, If I play my game I am relaxed and know I should win. Every year for the past 7-8 years we have gone to the DCC as a spectator and I would like to be a participant next year and not feel like I am completely throwing my money away.

Having been a golf instructor for much of my professional life I do understand what kind of work goes into that kind of improvement. I am looking for help with creating a practice routine that can take me to that level (I will put in the work). I also am curious into the "aiming systems" as I am primarily self taught and from what I can tell go by the ghost ball method.

Thanks for any assistance you fine instructors can offer.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I consider myself a decent "league" player. I not to long ago was moved up to a 7 in 8 ball in our local APA league. Since then I have seemed to struggle. I would like to get myself to that level when I feel like it doesn't matter who I play, If I play my game I am relaxed and know I should win. Every year for the past 7-8 years we have gone to the DCC as a spectator and I would like to be a participant next year and not feel like I am completely throwing my money away.

Having been a golf instructor for much of my professional life I do understand what kind of work goes into that kind of improvement. I am looking for help with creating a practice routine that can take me to that level (I will put in the work). I also am curious into the "aiming systems" as I am primarily self taught and from what I can tell go by the ghost ball method.

Hi

This should be easy as you are a golf instructor. I attend a golf camp a year.

I have never been able to "fix" anyone over the phone nor internet. Call Scott Lee and schedule a day class with him. You will get more than your moneys worth.

Scott will be able to set up a routine for you to follow, based on your needs.

Good luck
randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bucknut...As Randyg mentioned, I can help you with the things you are looking for. I am making plans to be in OH in the next week or so. Please email me, or call me, and we can discuss your needs and my schedule.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
email: poolology@aol.com
cell #: 773-551-7473

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's fantastic that you're a golf instructor. Understanding that it takes self discipline and patience is half the battle.

There is something to be said for throwing 9 balls out on the table and trying to run them in order. It sounds simplistic, but by the 6th hour, and if you haven't pulled your hair out by then, you'll have learned a lot. The key is to pay attention to the results of each shot you shoot. Did you over cut or under cut the shot? Did you get position? If not, how did you miss? Too hard? Too soft? Want to set up the shot and try again? Sure, go ahead. But keep at it.

All of your flaws will come to the surface and you'll be able to pick them out and most importantly, start to figure things out, one at a time , but only if you pay attention.

Regarding drills: I think they're fine but I've seen players shoot drills for days on end and then freeze in a real game. They'd become great practicers but poor players.

I imagine others here will have advice on aiming systems for you. I don't get too worked up over aiming systems. I use visualization. I see the cue ball hitting the object ball in my mind and then I shoot. Works for me.

And of course, nothing beats time at the table. We can talk about it and think about it and calculate it, but eventually we have to do it ---- A lot.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi

This should be easy as you are a golf instructor. I attend a golf camp a year.

I have never been able to "fix" anyone over the phone nor internet. Call Scott Lee and schedule a day class with him. You will get more than your moneys worth.

Scott will be able to set up a routine for you to follow, based on your needs.

Good luck
randyg

I just wanted to add to what Randy wrote above. Just for your information, there are 19 PBIA/BCA accredited instructors in Ohio. Feel free to check them out at the web site below.

http://playbetterbilliards.com/

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an official instructor, but been a student of the game for over 20 years now. I'd be more than happy to discuss what you are going through as I've gone through something similar. Can also give you some perspective and pros/cons on aiming systems as I've used a couple and converted to CTE/Pro1 last year.

If you are interested in a conversation, phone or email, just PM me with your info and I can give you a call or exchange emails.

Scott

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to add to what Randy wrote above. Just for your information, there are 19 PBIA/BCA accredited instructors in Ohio. Feel free to check them out at the web site below.

http://playbetterbilliards.com/

I appreciate everything. However I am in Tennessee. I'm originally from Ohio , thus the name. I'm actually in Knoxville so I'd you have any suggestions of Nyone somewhat close I would be open to suggestions.

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bucknut...As Randyg mentioned, I can help you with the things you are looking for. I am making plans to be in OH in the next week or so. Please email me, or call me, and we can discuss your needs and my schedule.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
email: poolology@aol.com
cell #: 773-551-7473

Scott, I will give you a call soon. However I'm not sure how often you are this far south. I currently live in Knoxville so it may be hard to hook up. I look forward to talking to you though. Thanks

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I appreciate everything. However I am in Tennessee. I'm originally from Ohio , thus the name. I'm actually in Knoxville so I'd you have any suggestions of Nyone somewhat close I would be open to suggestions.

I'm in Knoxville about 4 times a year.

My next trip is in June.
randyg

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member

I'm in Knoxville, too. I'm not an instructor, nor as good a player as you are, but we're after the same things. Let me know if you want to exchange ideas.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I'm in Knoxville, too. I'm not an instructor, nor as good a player as you are, but we're after the same things. Let me know if you want to exchange ideas.

Why don't you two get together and we can do a day class. Nice discount for the two of you.
randyg

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
From a past PGA member to another...

I think the advice of playing 9 ball for hours is a good one and one I have used for years. I have recently added straight pool to my practice routine. It never ends. It is an excellent tool for maintaining focus while practicing. 9 ball has an end...a time to relax as it were. So run 9 balls and ease your mind and repeat. Your turn in straight pool never ends until you dog it! You must stay in the moment and the moment lasts much longer. The pressure of success/failure continues to build the deeper you get into a run!

Best advice is to practice every day...without fail as I am sure you know from teaching golf. Doesn't have to be a 6 hour session. 30 minutes of focused practice every day can do wonders!

You might benefit from reading about the physics of the game if you haven't already. In my opinion, no one does it any better than Robert Byrne (http://www.byrne.org/). Bob Jewett is also a good one to seek out. I have read his articles since before he was famous.

Good luck with it!!

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without seeing a video of you shooting a game of 8 ball it would be difficult to access where you are really at in your game.

As for practice I agree with Fran that 9 ball is an excellent routine to increase your ability to play shape but I would start with 3 object balls and when you are able to run the balls in order consistently move up to 4 balls then 5 balls, 6 balls, etc...

Unfortunately practicing 9 ball while helping you increase your shape ability will do little for learning the strategy of 8 ball which is the heart of the game at advanced levels. In 8 ball having a good break, knowing your opponent's weaknesses, your ability to play safe, tie up balls, block pockets, knowing when to miss shots and when to start your run are just as important factors in determining whether you will win the game or not vs your ability to pocket a ball and play shape.

For example a weaker player can often defeat a stronger player by simply playing good safes, tying up balls or blocking a pocket. The stronger player will frequently try to run the table on their first attempt at the table. When they fail they normally leave 2 of their balls or less making it is easy for the weaker player to keep them from getting a shot since so many of their balls remain on the table. If you are playing in a ball in hand league then getting ball in hand is often the impetus that gives you the ability to win the game. If your opponent is in a position to run out if you miss a difficult shot you can make it very hard for that player if you block a pocket in front of one of their balls or tie up one of their balls with one of yours assuming that a good safe is not available.

Another good example is the break shot. If you have the ability to run out an open table and you are facing a weaker opponent it is advisable to break head on from the middle of the table with a hard stroke. This break normally spreads the balls very well often leaving them open for a run. Unfortunately a good portion of the time you won't make a ball on the break leaving the table open for the other player. If the other player is a strong player he might well run the table out on you. That's why you use it against a weaker player since they won't have the ability to run out on you. If you are playing a stronger player I find it best to break from the side of the table at the second diamond. Shooting at the second ball in the rack using a firm stop shot aiming to just barley miss the head ball you have a decent chance of making the 8 ball in the side or back in the corner. Using this break requires more accuracy than power so don't try to overpower the shot. This type of break doesn't spread the balls nearly as well and most often will not give the stronger player a chance to run out on you in case you don't make a ball on the break.

I am a BCA instructor. If any of the above makes sense and you approve I would be glad to mentor you via PMs without charge as I feel the internet is an excellent way to train someone. It would be beneficial however if you have the ability to video yourself so I can analyze problems you may have with your game. I would only ask that if I can help you improve your game that you give me recognition for the same in this forum.