New appliance for muscle training in pool and other cue sports

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
h-ibs.jpg

Details to follow. So far, what do you think of the importance of certain "pool muscles" training? Of course there are muscles responsible for stroking motion. But what's about intensive training of those? Could it be important for better play, or is it totally irrelevant?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
We've had pool muscle trainers for years, and years, Vahmurka.
They're called pool halls, and every muscle you need to play pool with can be exercised in them.
Some of them even have a special room upstairs where you can get in a little ab training. Or, at least they used to. :smile:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally irrelevant. Playing pool requires no muscle training. If you can hold up 1 pound you can play pool. The idea is to let the cue do the work...cue weight and timing. It's takes stamina to play for long periods, but those muscles have nothing to do with actual playing.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

View attachment 383841

Details to follow. So far, what do you think of the importance of certain "pool muscles" training? Of course there are muscles responsible for stroking motion. But what's about intensive training of those? Could it be important for better play, or is it totally irrelevant?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally irrelevant. Playing pool requires no muscle training. If you can hold up 1 pound you can play pool. The idea is to let the cue do the work...cue weight and timing. It's takes stamina to play for long periods, but those muscles have nothing to do with actual playing.

Scott Lee

I believe a good regimen of physical exercise builds stamina but it's the muscle between the ears that I have to control to play my best pool. LOL.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Scott Lee

Scott, your comment reminded me (sadly) of my nephew who was an up-and-coming pool player. He excelled in Eight and Nine ball, and was doing well in One Pocket, until a massive stroke left him without the use of over sixty-five per cent of his musculature. No amount of physical therapy ever helped.
He died a few months ago and I'll never forget the last thing he said to me. "Uncle Tramp. I gotta go pee."
I wonder if Mazurka's device, could have been of any benefit. :smile:

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
It seems to me that he is talking more about muscle memory as opposed to muscle development.

His device looks like a stroke trainer.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It seems to me that he is talking more about muscle memory as opposed to muscle development.
His device looks like a stroke trainer.

No doubt you're right, Eagle, but this is one of those "Let's poke a little fun at this post, post." :smile:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Now some details. First, I am not the one who invented it or the one trying to sell anything. So far my only intention is to introduce an interesting (though controversial in some areas) invention and see what everyone thinks of it.

The appliance connects to a mobile device (iOS/Android) and measures speed of every stroke made. Also this training device keeps track of every improper hit (basically miscue on every hit other than cue ball center since the cue tip must remain unchalked). Various interchangeable cue balls can be used: for pool, snooker and pyramid. Also the device has some built-in means of follow-through control.

According to the device creator it is intended to help develop speed and power of one's stroke which (supposedly) connects to better of cue ball control (speed and hit point). By the way it will go under H-I-B-S acronym which stands for "higlhly-intensive-billiard-simulator". It should be mostly used away from pool table (though can be used at a pool hall too) in order to support stroking muscles and develop them. Creating muscle memory, etc.
One of the benefits, again according to the inventor, is that with h-i-b-s a player makes more strokes per minute or per hour than on a pool table.

Presumably, h-i-b-s allows to practice pool stroke at every place even away from the table, keep track of practice efficiency based on statistics (max stroke speed, average speed per session, number of missed hit points). Also lets save money on table time (if used for similar stroking practice tasks I guess).

The guy claims he has no intention to make money but rather come up with an idea which hasn't been applied to cue sports so far. I expect to get more details and hopefully a video of it in use in a month or so.

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
i mostly masturbate to stay in stroke.
sorry, I couldnt help it.:grin-square:
as far as this machine goes, ummmm............

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used one of the stroke trainer products extensively before heading out to gamble a few years ago. (Also used it every day at home for about a month during this time). Not conclusive, but it did seem to get me "in stroke" quicker so that I could come out of the gate firing during my matches.

What it did NOT do is make me a better player, whatsoever. It just enabled me to be at my mid to high gear, instead of low to mid gear, more often. Again, this is not conclusive at all.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now some details. First, I am not the one who invented it or the one trying to sell anything. So far my only intention is to introduce an interesting (though controversial in some areas) invention and see what everyone thinks of it.

The appliance connects to a mobile device (iOS/Android) and measures speed of every stroke made. Also this training device keeps track of every improper hit (basically miscue on every hit other than cue ball center since the cue tip must remain unchalked). Various interchangeable cue balls can be used: for pool, snooker and pyramid. Also the device has some built-in means of follow-through control.

According to the device creator it is intended to help develop speed and power of one's stroke which (supposedly) connects to better of cue ball control (speed and hit point). By the way it will go under H-I-B-S acronym which stands for "higlhly-intensive-billiard-simulator". It should be mostly used away from pool table (though can be used at a pool hall too) in order to support stroking muscles and develop them. Creating muscle memory, etc.
One of the benefits, again according to the inventor, is that with h-i-b-s a player makes more strokes per minute or per hour than on a pool table.

Presumably, h-i-b-s allows to practice pool stroke at every place even away from the table, keep track of practice efficiency based on statistics (max stroke speed, average speed per session, number of missed hit points). Also lets save money on table time (if used for similar stroking practice tasks I guess).

The guy claims he has no intention to make money but rather come up with an idea which hasn't been applied to cue sports so far. I expect to get more details and hopefully a video of it in use in a month or so.

I think it's an interesting device. Although we all know that there is no such thing as muscle memory, there is such a thing as creating a habit, though.

I like that it's a measuring device. I think that's it's best attribute. What would be needed is an entire set of shot measurements to use as gauges. For example: it would be pretty cool if you wanted to practice your long draw shot on the device by striving for long draw shot measurements. With all the variables aside, like cloth newness, etc.. it would still give a player a pretty good idea of what it feels like to execute the shot.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I like that it's a measuring device. I think that's it's best attribute. What would be needed is an entire set of shot measurements to use as gauges. For example: it would be pretty cool if you wanted to practice your long draw shot

since it is only able to measure speed of the shot and define center cue ball hit from miscue, I doubt it will be ever possible to measure anything on a draw or follow, let alone spin shots. Any off-center results in a miscue and loss of speed as inevitable result of that.
Like I said, hope to have more info in a couple of weeks. I'm curious how different players performed using the device, and have never seen it with a pyramid or snooker cue ball attached ;) I think when AZB people see the device in action they will definitely have more to say about it.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vahmurka,
Have you seen this.. www.cue-md.com ...?

It will show you where you hit the cue ball and the relative velocity of your cue during your stroke.

since it is only able to measure speed of the shot and define center cue ball hit from miscue, I doubt it will be ever possible to measure anything on a draw or follow, let alone spin shots. Any off-center results in a miscue and loss of speed as inevitable result of that.
Like I said, hope to have more info in a couple of weeks. I'm curious how different players performed using the device, and have never seen it with a pyramid or snooker cue ball attached ;) I think when AZB people see the device in action they will definitely have more to say about it.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Vahmurka,
Have you seen this.. www.cue-md.com ...?

It will show you where you hit the cue ball and the relative velocity of your cue during your stroke.
nope, never. Thanks for the link, I think this will stir some pot for those who already discuss the h-i-b-s locally :grin-square:

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, what do you think of the importance of certain "pool muscles" training?

Don't know, maybe just going to shoot a lot of pool might also get people better and train those muscles, the eyes seeing those angles, and whatever else needs training....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did a very nice job on the design and execution. The CB settles very quickly for successive shots, without user interaction. I'm sure that was not an easy feat and took lots of brainstorming and prototype iterations.

I'm still lost as to the device's purpose, however.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe you can develop it to measure more. I think that would be it's most valuable attribute.