New Article Series on Ralph Greenleaf

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
AZB (Mike) kindly agreed to publish some of my research on Ralph Greenleaf in the Billiard Buzz magazine. I'd appreciate any feedback from the learned members of this forum. And I'm happy to address any questions in the future articles. Here's a link to the first article on Ralph's childhood:

The second article will cover Ralph's championship run and the rising popularity of pool. The third will cover his professional and public decline after the death of his parents and his first divorce. And the fourth article will cover his infamous final years.

Thanks,

Sam

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
AZB (Billiard Buzz) published my second article on Ralph Greenleaf, this on his rise to the top of the pool world with his victories over the Frank "the Snail" Taberski. The Snail played so slow, 5+ hours for a 125 point 14.1 match (average was 2-3 hours in those days), that Brunswick was desperate to replace him with the young and fast-playing Ralph. Ralph often would close out his matches in under an hour.

The last two articles will cover Ralph's fall from grace.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AZB (Billiard Buzz) published my second article on Ralph Greenleaf, this on his rise to the top of the pool world with his victories over the Frank "the Snail" Taberski. The Snail played so slow, 5+ hours for a 125 point 14.1 match (average was 2-3 hours in those days), that Brunswick was desperate to replace him with the young and fast-playing Ralph. ...
There is a story of Taberski taking 20 (or 40?) minutes fretting over a single shot. And then he played the obvious safety.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
There is a story of Taberski taking 20 (or 40?) minutes fretting over a single shot. And then he played the obvious safety.
Yes and even for routine shots he apparently averaged 3 minutes per shot. The newspapers hated him because his matches wouldn't finish in time to be reported in the next morning's paper.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just noticed the following in the March 1968 National Billiard News. I wonder if the referenced manuscript ever got published.

CropperCapture[819].png

CropperCapture[820].png

CropperCapture[821].png

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I just noticed the following in the March 1968 National Billiard News. I wonder if the referenced manuscript ever got published.

View attachment 619393

View attachment 619394

View attachment 619395

Great find Bob. That's two years after Karen Fox's interview with Amelia that can be found here:

Before your post, I hadnt seen a mention of a book by Mrs. Greenleaf. There is no record of it in any of the usual databases. If it existed I would assume Karen would be aware of it and it would have been mentioned in the recent reprint of the above article.

Perhaps Amelia's book in 1968 received the same treatment from the publishers that my book did in 2020!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Before your post, I hadnt seen a mention of a book by Mrs. Greenleaf. There is no record of it in any of the usual databases. If it existed I would assume Karen would be aware of it and it would have been mentioned in the recent reprint of the above article. ...
That was a time when publishers had a large startup cost to print the first copy. I suspect they were not absolutely delighted when they saw the manuscript from Amelia. They were probably thinking, how much is a ghost writer going to cost and how long will it take and how many copies might we possibly sell? Today with self-publishing, we get a lot more "rough cuts".

I suppose it's possible the manuscript still exists and someone in the family has it in box in the attic.