new cues review

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Dale Perry bacote/maple-
Picked it up off eBay for a very reasonably cheap price because I wanted to try a radial joint cue. It shows up with a certificate of authenticity which was a nice touch. I did notice first off, the points were not as I thought from the pics. I am a Sharp point fan, but at least even. So that was an eye deterrent, but it felt good in the hand. I immediately noticed the butt was slimmer than my Joss. I like this due to my hand size. The finish is nice, wrap is good, no real issues. I put it together and noticed the balance was just a hair front heavy for my liking. I also realized I didn't put in my order that I wanted the shaft turned down from 13mm. My fault. I played with it and was impressed with it but the shaft I didn't order correctly, I didn't find myself loving it. So I got the shaft turned down to my thickness I like, between 12.5 and 12.75. I picked up the shaft tonight and played a few racks with it. The shaft size made a difference that I like this cue a lot now and will try it out on the next few league nights and give my Joss a rest for a little while.

JJ Cue Spark Break-
I have been a fan of heavy hard leather tipped cues for breaking with since I was a kid. Seems to me the heavy hitters do me better. I stop by my local cue supply place on my way home looking to curb my hand sweat issue here in Phoenix and pick up a glove. I asked to see their selection of break cues and try a few out. They happen to have the spark break there so I try it out on a few 8-ball racks on the test table (8-foot). With little no effort, I got a good spread and dropped 2 consistently with center ball break. I wasn't trying to hard either.
The cue weighed at 19oz, they added a weight bolt for free which took it to 21.5oz. This is more my range. It's a 14mm phenolic tip and to be honest its a heck of a break cue. Now I need to learn how to control whitey on the break. I took it out when I picked up my DP shaft and on a bar box I dropped the 9 twice in 5 racks of 9-ball and dropped the 8 once in 5 racks of 8-ball. The other racks, I only went dry once. It's solid and consistent.

We'll see how the both new cues do tomorrow at 8-ball on 9-footers ;)

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Thank You for the Cue Review, Quick questions Tho did the D.P come with Joint Protectors also was the Cue packaged well so it would be safe in Transit just wondering because I just ordered a D.P Cue, Thank You

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Sniper, no jp's but I got a set from a local supply place for under $10. Packaging was in a plastic bag, surrounded by newspaper then a square box. I shook the box before I opened and seemed solid enough. No damage on the cue what so ever.

To be honest, its a damn fine cue.

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You for the Response,, I received my Cue today and its awesome for what I paid for it just hope it will stand up to the Test of Time :cool:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You for the Response,, I received my Cue today and its awesome for what I paid for it just hope it will stand up to the Test of Time :cool:

Indeed....durability.

We have seen some complain about ferrules coming loose on these cues as well as some other similar issues.

Please let us know how things go over time.

Personally I think such issues are relatively minor and I consider the DP cues to be a high value cue. In other words...you get a lot of bang for your buck.

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed....durability.

We have seen some complain about ferrules coming loose on these cues as well as some other similar issues.

Personally I think such issues are relatively minor and I consider the DP cues to be a high value cue. In other words...you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I've got a DP that I've been shooting with for about 2.5 years, just noticed a few days ago that the joint collar on the butt is coming loose (it can be spun).

It's not affecting the playability of the cue, just a tad bit annoying when you break down the cue and you can feel it twist

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
Indeed....durability.

A buddy of mine got his DP earlier this week. He also bought his from ebay. I hit it a few times, hit very solid, but I feel it needs a new ferrel/tip. Felt solid at the joint, but just felt "odd" on the tip to me.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
The Spark Break comes with a weight bolt kit and wrench. Did you not get the weight kit with yours?

The billiard store I went to didn't have it with the cue hence weighing and adding weight. The usual cue guy I deal with wasnt there.

They are great guys and always make the transactions smooth to make sure the customer is happy. For as cheap as I got it compared to JJ cue directly, I'm not concerned.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These Spark Break cues seem like a good value. I have been curious about them for a while.

I was thinking about just getting the shaft for my break cue, but now I am thinking "what the heck" why not get the whole cue?

The prices are down at J&J and I have seen them advertised lower at several places.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Chopdoc, for the price you can't go wrong. If you don't like it, I'm sure somebody at your local poolhall will pick it up from you.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
******UPDATE*******

Broke the tip on the spark break. Cracked a chunk out of the tip after about 50-75 breaks.

Buyer beware. I'm on the look out for a non-phenolic tip replacement.

Getting into BCAPL and phenolic tips are a no no.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's disappointing.

They sell the shaft alone with either a phenolic tip or a hard leather break tip. I was thinking to get the hard leather one.

But...it's only a tip. Tips are "consumables". It's a shame that it gave up so quickly, but it's just the tip.....

I still may pick one up.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's disappointing.

They sell the shaft alone with either a phenolic tip or a hard leather break tip. I was thinking to get the hard leather one.

But...it's only a tip. Tips are "consumables". It's a shame that it gave up so quickly, but it's just the tip.....

I still may pick one up.

Those Spark cues are like a Gino ferreri or even worse.If you break hard,stay away.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Yeah I break hard and like a heavy break cue. Personally after using it more, I would like to put a hard leather tip on it. I can't get shape on my break like I can with leather.

Also I wasn't aware the bcapl changed the break cue rules. Interesting...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those Spark cues are like a Gino ferreri or even worse.If you break hard,stay away.

In what regard exactly?

I am not sure what you are saying.

His tip broke. The cue didn't break.

What is your experience with the Spark?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
So I figured if just a bit from the edge was missing I could keep using it if I wasn't using that side. Now over half is missing. I'm planning on upgrading.

My initial review of the spark break is null and void.

The Dale Perry has quickly become my main cue for now. I keep my N7 with me and the SS360 shaft, but haven't found a reason to use it. If I can find a good break cue, I would venture out to a 2x3 case for a spare shaft and lighten the load a bit.

For the price, I couldn't be happier with Dale Perry cues.

Since I got the DP I also picked up an older Pechauer that I like but haven't put it in rotation for league nights yet.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Thanks measure man! I was looking at that one. I think I'm going to give the spark break the benefit of the doubt and get it tipped with a white diamond tip. If it fails again, its kindling...