New Diamond Pro-Am rail adjustment

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a new 8' diamond pro-am delivered in February and just noticed that the rails past the side pocket is off on one side. It isn't off terribly, but I can't shoot a ball past the side pocket on that side towards the foot rail without it catching the point. Is there some easy adjustment, bolt, etc that I can do to resolve this or is this something more involved? I believe I'm still within their warranty period for something like this but they already had to come out and fix something else so I figured I'd see before calling them. I understand the rubber is glued to the subrail, but is there a bolt in the subrail that I can adjust or something?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I had a new 8' diamond pro-am delivered in February and just noticed that the rails past the side pocket is off on one side. It isn't off terribly, but I can't shoot a ball past the side pocket on that side towards the foot rail without it catching the point. Is there some easy adjustment, bolt, etc that I can do to resolve this or is this something more involved? I believe I'm still within their warranty period for something like this but they already had to come out and fix something else so I figured I'd see before calling them. I understand the rubber is glued to the subrail, but is there a bolt in the subrail that I can adjust or something?

Look under the rail. You will see 3 rail bolts on each long rail. loosen them and pull the rail back in and retighten. Easy

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I'll take some pictures and post in a bit. It's not a TON, but it's enough. If I were to take a guess, probably about 1/8" at the point.

I am guessing they will want to see a picture of the area with a straight edge against the cushion to show any misalignment???

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a couple pictures with a 4' level down the side rail up to the foot-side point.

Not a mechanic....

Wow that's a ton! I know Diamond rails are doweled together at the corners to prevent misalignment. I can't remember from the factory tour if they are at the sides??

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what happens when you shoot that shot from the other direction

I'll take a couple videos of the other direction tonight and post them. The shot is fine from the other direction, at least from a function standpoint. The ball hugs the rail down the footstring portion then passes the pocket and is off the rail the rest of the way down but still falls. I'll do some tests on the other side of the table as well, but I believe that side is fine. I haven't really tested it yet, though, to be honest.

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a mechanic....

Wow that's a ton! I know Diamond rails are doweled together at the corners to prevent misalignment. I can't remember from the factory tour if they are at the sides??

Yeah, it's definitely enough to upset me, that's for sure! I would be OK with it, if it were a cheap refurbished valley or something, but I don't feel like "living" with it on a brand new $6k diamond.

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update on this. Paul from Diamond contacted me to let me know there is an easy fix for it. I guess what happens is the holes in the slate for the rail bolts are oversized and when it travels for an extended period of time on its side on a dolly, the rail can sometimes shift. He said it most often happens on the side of the table which is down on the dolly, which is the case with my table. I haven't tried it yet but I will when I get home from work. Basically, just loosen all of the railbolts on that side and have someone pull back on the side pocket while you tighten the 2 on either side of the pocket down slightly. Tweak it until it's flush again then tighten the rest. Super glad there's an easy fix :)

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update on this. There were actually a couple different problems, but Paul at Diamond did a fantastic job of walking me through various things to check and do. First, the rail wasn't even and one point was sticking out preventing a shot down the rail past the side pocket. He told me to loosen the railbolts and pull out on the center to line them up. I tried that, but no go. Turns out that the problem actually wasn't the footstring portion like I originally thought. It was the headstring half that wasn't in far enough. There are 2 chocks of wood on each side of the table which are there mainly for shipping to help prevent the rails from pinching in when the table is on its side. I had to remove these, push the rail in at the center to line it up and tighten the railbolts. Another issue was the nose of the headstring half of the longrail on that side was higher than the rest of the table. I'm still not entirely sure what was causing this, but ratcheting down the railbolts on that side a LOT pulled it back down to flush. I'm still waiting to hear if that will cause any issues, or if there's something else I should do, but the cushions are now lined up again and plays like a Diamond once again!

Huge props to Diamond and Paul at Diamond for their always excellent service and commitment. It doesn't go unnoticed.