New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMG_461612.HEIC.jpg

Picture..... thousand words? :)
I just wanted the table as it would've been back in '87. And this is about the size I always remember them. And the size pockets I'd play on back in Queens....
This question should be moved to the Main Forum.

I need a point to point measurement. I grew up in the 80’s playing pool, and some II’s were 5+”, but I dont recall playing at a pool hall with III’s wifh 5+”. The GC III’s at my local pool hall are 4 3/4”, That pocket looks like a IV from this angle.

Mr Machine

This question should be moved to the Main Forum.

I need a point to point measurement. I grew up in the 80’s playing pool, and some II’s were 5+”, but I dont recall playing at a pool hall with III’s wifh 5+”. The GC III’s at my local pool hall are 4 3/4”, That pocket looks like a IV from this angle.
Point to point the pockets are 5"
My use/misuse of the word "stock" may be leading to this confusion....
Either way, 5" is what I asked for, received and am quite happy with. :)

Murph

Hello all, been viewing this site for a while now, glad to be here. I'm 50, live on the Oregon coast and just started collecting Meuccis (mainly Originals) . Broke my ankle right before Xmas, left with lots of browsing time lol. Here is my collection so far. (except for swbb3 and 97-21w, sold those).

Attachments

• 20230127_100852~2.jpg
    20230127_100852~2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 71

El Calebra

Hi my name is John. I am basically an amateur. I do play pool (8 ball) at my local watering hole. I have played on and off most my adult life. I am no pro. I can play and do a pretty good job. I like the sport and camaraderie. I just bought my first a cue. Its a Lucasi.

So that brings me to my first question. I ordered a stock tube style case. It was an Action brand and it was to long. I did not pay attention that it was listed as a 34" long case.
So, I sent it back and ordered a standard case they said fit a 58" long 2 piece cue stick. In fact all the cases said they fit the 58". I got it the other day and its to long as well. When I insert the two pieces they fall into the tube and to remove them I must tilt it to get them out. Its not a snug fit.

I emailed the seller and he responded. He told me the length was not an issue and the two pieces being able to shift back and forth inside the case was completely normal. I have seen several cases where I play and theirs do not fall into the tube, but protrude above the top for a secure fit. The top holes actually are in contact with the cue pieces.
The seller told me they are designing and making cases to accommodate longer cues. That the case I bought is fine and designed this way.

So to my second question. Is the seller right? Should the cue pieces be able to move freely inside the case? I have returned the second case as well and do not want to order one until I am completely certain I am getting the correct case.
I also do not have a local brick and mortar store where I could try cases and ask questions.

Thanks in Advance Gentlemen.

SSP

Hi to all, I'm new here to AZ Billiards, I just started playing Pool again after about a 10 year hiatus, I am not a great player but love the sport and enjoy working on my game, found lots of knowledgeable people and lots of good advice so far, enjoy watching the old matches shown here, watched an old Efren match yesterday so I guess I should be playing like him in about a week or so ......right?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So that brings me to my first question. I ordered a stock tube style case. It was an Action brand and it was to long. I did not pay attention that it was listed as a 34" long case.
So, I sent it back and ordered a standard case they said fit a 58" long 2 piece cue stick. In fact all the cases said they fit the 58". I got it the other day and its to long as well. When I insert the two pieces they fall into the tube and to remove them I must tilt it to get them out. Its not a snug fit. ...
I think most tube-style cases do not fit snugly. Cues come in different diameters. If you want the cue to sit up higher, you could push foam or something down to the bottom of the tubes. I prefer a canvas butterfly style case that unzips all the way down the side. Mine has cloth dividers inside so all the cues/shafts are separated. It's easy to put my screw-on extender in there as well.

Rayzor Ray

Hello out there👋 after what seemed pretty long I finally got in here! Been browsing here off and on for years. Little about me and why I'm excited to become a member.... names Ray and I'm from California bay area, although I grew tired of that in 2019 and moved up into the Sierra's for a change of pace. A year ago this week my dad passed away and left me his 70 years worth of pool stuff. He played every single day! I grew up with a 9ft brunswick and the sound of pool balls hitting each other is what lullabied me to sleep as a kid. When he wasn't shooting pool he was reading books about it, if not reading he'd be sitting at the computer watching movies about pool. He played in 9 and 8 ball leagues. Years back he's taken me to reno and las Vagas to watch tournaments. He's played in many pretty big ones himself. He gave private lessons on the side as well. About 10 years ago he got 2 friends of mine and myself to do a 8ball bar league. My buddies hit every single shot like a break. Haha. Well until they started using his suggestions. I think out of 15-20 teams we ended up in 5th and even took a little cash home. So since he's passed and I've been going through stuff I'm falling back into thee game but looking at it and learning ssoooo much more. It kinda makes me sad at times that he's not here to share my new passion that he's ALWAYS had. Thats why I'm happy to be here and try to carry on his love for the sport. Hopefully get as good as he. Lol. Its always been an inside joke whenever we'd play each other I'd break then go put the cue back up on the rack because I'm not going to get another shot. Hahaa. Well thanks for reading this mini novel and looking forward to picking your brains. : I've got some questions on a couple cues I have but I don't believe this is the right forum for that...believe it or not I think I might be holding a Rambow that was a birthday gift for wimpy in 1947 😳🤷‍♂️ Too be continued..... lol

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
welcome ray
just a friendly suggestion
if you separate some sentences by starting on another line
rather than have one long uninterupted post
it makes it easier to read
welcome ray.just a friendly suggestion. if you separate some sentences by starting on another line. rather than have one long uninterupted post. it makes it easier to read

George the Greek

Hello everyone! I'm new here and originally from Toronto and residing in Nova Scotia now. I grew up playing snooker and got somewhat proficient at it and tried to convert over to playing pool and never really reached any great level. We're in the process of building a new house and a pool table will be going in and once that happens ill6 be able to dedicate more time to the game.

Marbles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI billiards family, my name is Rodney B, grew up in Toronto, worked at Le Spot Billiards in the 80s and then Blues and Cues in the 90s, was working when Jose Parica and his clan blew through the venue and robbed everybody, was an absolute pleasure and memory I will never forget meeting the "Professor" Grady Matthews there was well, But the Monday night tournaments at Le Spot run by the one and only P.T were the most memorable times ever!! Danny D and the boys would show up out of the blue on a Monday and it would be action central, I actually have the old cue rack from the table they played on in my living room right now. Anyways, absolute pleasure to be here with you all.

George the Greek

HI billiards family, my name is Rodney B, grew up in Toronto, worked at Le Spot Billiards in the 80s and then Blues and Cues in the 90s, was working when Jose Parica and his clan blew through the venue and robbed everybody, was an absolute pleasure and memory I will never forget meeting the "Professor" Grady Matthews there was well, But the Monday night tournaments at Le Spot run by the one and only P.T were the most memorable times ever!! Danny D and the boys would show up out of the blue on a Monday and it would be action central, I actually have the old cue rack from the table they played on in my living room right now. Anyways, absolute pleasure to be here with you all.
Hello Rodney! It was fun phoning from the payphone when Debbie was working and asking for Mike Hunt lol. It's been a long time. George C. ( the Greek)

fuggles

Hi. I just got my posting privileges. So here I am. I currently live in NorCal. I've been playing since my dad bought a table when I was a teenager. I didn't play much on it but it introduced me to the game. When I traveled in the service I would play in bars on bar boxes. Fast forward and I decided to join the local APA league. I played 8 and 9 ball. There was also a local 14.1 league and I played some. After 15 years of APA. I decided to play in a local bar league on Valley bar boxes. Fun format kind of like BCA 8 ball. Pandemic hit and didn't play much for a couple years. Now I play some local 8 ball, tournaments and league, And we have a 14.1 league. Its my first season back at 14.1, so a little rough running balls. lol. I'm retired now so I can work on my game! I'm playing 14.1 and 8 ball with some practicing around 8 hours a week. We'll see how it goes.

BuffaloSlim

Hi my name is John. I am basically an amateur. I do play pool (8 ball) at my local watering hole. I have played on and off most my adult life. I am no pro. I can play and do a pretty good job. I like the sport and camaraderie. I just bought my first a cue. Its a Lucasi.

So that brings me to my first question. I ordered a stock tube style case. It was an Action brand and it was to long. I did not pay attention that it was listed as a 34" long case.
So, I sent it back and ordered a standard case they said fit a 58" long 2 piece cue stick. In fact all the cases said they fit the 58". I got it the other day and its to long as well. When I insert the two pieces they fall into the tube and to remove them I must tilt it to get them out. Its not a snug fit.

I emailed the seller and he responded. He told me the length was not an issue and the two pieces being able to shift back and forth inside the case was completely normal. I have seen several cases where I play and theirs do not fall into the tube, but protrude above the top for a secure fit. The top holes actually are in contact with the cue pieces.
The seller told me they are designing and making cases to accommodate longer cues. That the case I bought is fine and designed this way.

So to my second question. Is the seller right? Should the cue pieces be able to move freely inside the case? I have returned the second case as well and do not want to order one until I am completely certain I am getting the correct case.
I also do not have a local brick and mortar store where I could try cases and ask questions.

Thanks in Advance Gentlemen.
Hi John .. you can get a set of thread protectors for your cue that might help take up a bit of the up and down movement in your new case .. another suggestion is a spring in the bottom of the case tube with a piece of material between the spring and your cue .. like a round piece of plastic or rubber .. good luck with it .. Buffalo

Rayzor Ray

Hi. I just got my posting privileges. So here I am. I currently live in NorCal. I've been playing since my dad bought a table when I was a teenager. I didn't play much on it but it introduced me to the game. When I traveled in the service I would play in bars on bar boxes. Fast forward and I decided to join the local APA league. I played 8 and 9 ball. There was also a local 14.1 league and I played some. After 15 years of APA. I decided to play in a local bar league on Valley bar boxes. Fun format kind of like BCA 8 ball. Pandemic hit and didn't play much for a couple years. Now I play some local 8 ball, tournaments and league, And we have a 14.1 league. Its my first season back at 14.1, so a little rough running balls. lol. I'm retired now so I can work on my game! I'm playing 14.1 and 8 ball with some practicing around 8 hours a week. We'll see how it goes.
Howdy 👋 what part of norcal? I bounce back and forth from the east bay and tuolumne county.

billy1974

Hello all - I've been playing off-and-on for years (in my late 40s now), but really started to take the game seriously in last couple of years. Trying to get to rooms in Philly suburbs lately; will be taking lessons, and hope to join a league eventually. Pool is a family thing, so it's about time I commit to it! We have a few Palmers in the family, but I'm playing with an entry-level Action cue. Seems to be ok for now, but I do hope to upgrade that soon. This forum has been a great resource so far!

IMG_5292.jpeg

BuffaloSlim

Hello all - I've been playing off-and-on for years (in my late 40s now), but really started to take the game seriously in last couple of years. Trying to get to rooms in Philly suburbs lately; will be taking lessons, and hope to join a league eventually. Pool is a family thing, so it's about time I commit to it! We have a few Palmers in the family, but I'm playing with an entry-level Action cue. Seems to be ok for now, but I do hope to upgrade that soon. This forum has been a great resource so far!

View attachment 690883
Welcome Billy

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member

View attachment 690883
Welcome to the forum. Nice set of cues you have there. If I could ever be a resource please let me know. There are some prickly posters here but also plenty of people who want to share their knowledge with those who appreciate it.

Hello all, and thanks for the membership. I'm in my 70s, and taking up pool for the first time, a new cue is on its way as we speak. I'm having to learn the rules, and a bit about how the game is played.

9 ball seems to be the easiest to get a run with, but since I've not played it yet, the just is out. I'm very lucky as a local pool hall has 4 American pool size tables, less than 2 miles away.

I've loads of questions to ask, so I'll pop over the the correct forum. Ricky9ball from there UK. All there best.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... 9 ball seems to be the easiest to get a run with, but since I've not played it yet, the just is out. ...
9 ball is very, very difficult for a beginner. Do you already have extensive experience from snooker or English eight ball?