New Idea to Promote Pool-Email Campaign

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
There really isn't anyone out there promoting the Sport of Pool to places where it would be seen by the General Public. So people who might want to enjoy pool go through their lives not thinking about pool because....no exposure.

I have an idea for that exposure that wouldn't cost anyone a dime.

All we have to do is come up with a email story about Pool and how great it is and circulate it.

What do you think of this idea? Would you be willing to contribute photographs for something like that that you have taken? Would you pass this along to people in your address book?

The possibilities here are nearly endless as far as storyline, we could make up Seasonal themes, promotional themes anything could be done.

In order to do this I need pictures of players in action and also pictures of people having fun playing pool. The minute I get enough pictures I will put something together and anyone who emails me can get it via email for free. I would just like to see Pool get some exposure to the general public. All we have to do is pass it along. Maybe someone will decide to go play pool that hasn't.

Email me pictures that you yourself have taken not copy pastes and state you are giving me permission to use them and I will put it together and send you back what I do. Who knows this might just work.

Email to aimisthegameinpool@yahoo.com or my personal email reklc1@yahoo.com
 
Last edited:
I've always thought it was a good idea. Why not just seen out links to AZB? Could also have someone do a write up on what's going on now, past, and future. Johnnyt
 
Links

I've always thought it was a good idea. Why not just seen out links to AZB? Could also have someone do a write up on what's going on now, past, and future. Johnnyt

Yeah you could send out links, and I really don't see anything wrong with it except if you consider that the general public might need to be lured into wanting to play and might need some background on the game in order to get interested....I do agree that some people might be interested from that though.
 
The trouble with writing pool stories or any other stories for that matter is that you have to cater to your target audience. A broad target audience like the one you are talking about requires that you provide details that describes the inner goings on of pooldom. That would most likely provide a shatstorm of criticism from the forum haters.

Mostly I write for my own pleasure. In my stories, I do try to appreciate those who also travel this path, not dumbing down or talking down to the reader since most who read my stuff are pool aficionados. I have written a pool blog with stories written about my travels and adventures and it is only recently where I shared my blog with my Facebook friends. I don't think I could ever share those same stories or my blog with family and friends who don't play pool.

Still, your idea has good merit but the bottom line, pool has to provide a pleasure of some type for those visiting the pool world to keep them coming back.

JoeyA
 
The trouble with writing pool stories or any other stories for that matter is that you have to cater to your target audience. A broad target audience like the one you are talking about requires that you provide details that describes the inner goings on of pooldom. That would most likely provide a shatstorm of criticism from the forum haters.

Mostly I write for my own pleasure. In my stories, I do try to appreciate those who also travel this path, not dumbing down or talking down to the reader since most who read my stuff are pool aficionados. I have written a pool blog with stories written about my travels and adventures and it is only recently where I shared my blog with my Facebook friends. I don't think I could ever share those same stories or my blog with family and friends who don't play pool.

Still, your idea has good merit but the bottom line, pool has to provide a pleasure of some type for those visiting the pool world to keep them coming back.

JoeyA

Well, said, JoeyA. My feeling is one's prospective participation in any endeavor includes the "what's in it for me?" mantra.

People do things because it satisfies a need within their lives.
I don't think we can just write a story and expect some people to jump on board pool's mighty ship.
These days people are attracted to certain things: visuals.

Pool has GOT to get on the mainstream forum and to project an IMAGE that is classy, fun, and cool in order to get people to notice.
The public is more intelligent than we realize; they don't need to be force-fed all the minutiae (of anything) in order to take note.
Just give them the basics and let them figure it out themselves—and they will.

On the surface, basketball, like pool, is one of the most simplest concepts in the world of sport.
It's the strategies that make the game appear difficult to the uninitiated.
All a person has to see are basketball's basic elements, e.g. swish of the net, dunk, steal, behind the back pass, to "get it," "like it," and then want to participate; that's what attracted me and still attracts me to basketball.

And whether we like it or not, BONUS BALL, and hopefully Mike Sigel's new tour, has the potential to do JUST THAT.
That's because, quite frankly, those are the only two innovations going on right now that can provide even a semblance of a kick-start to pool


These are the comparable elements in pool we should be showcasing to the masses, not a how-to and/or a please come-hither approach.
 
Last edited:
What a Great Ideal!

I think this is one of the best idea's I've heard in a long time. All of you guys hit on good points, so how do we do it. How can it be done so that we are all in the loop on what is going out?

Would AZB help to start or manage it? InSide Pool? Accu-Stats or maybe a few of the tech heads like Big Truck and the guys that stream matches?

I think that we would all get behind this if there was a central point for the start.

Great post, Great ideal!
 
Its written

I think this is one of the best idea's I've heard in a long time. All of you guys hit on good points, so how do we do it. How can it be done so that we are all in the loop on what is going out?

Would AZB help to start or manage it? InSide Pool? Accu-Stats or maybe a few of the tech heads like Big Truck and the guys that stream matches?

I think that we would all get behind this if there was a central point for the start.

Great post, Great ideal!

Thanks King,

Basically its written and I wrote it. In order to do it I went after and used copy paste photos that I do not have permission to use in the public forum so I cant put it up anywhere or send to anyone.

What I did was I went to Fotolia.com and used a lot of photos of Models posing for pictures of being pretty, tasteful having fun playing pool and I used those to work my text around.

Then I found some photos of players and used those and what I have isn't bad at all the only problem is that it isn't legal.

In order to solve the problem I need some money to buy the photos from Fotolia and I need some players photos taken in the public realm where they are in action and not a posed photograph, then its done.

The power of this is that I could use something like this to not only promote pool but promote products if this were to work and its basically done.

I can see where collaboration with a lot of people could enhance this and make this happen in much better ways and I cant stand it not going forward but funding this totally myself and sending it out gives one sort of dry feeling if you understand. That is why I am asking for photos.

I understood what JoeyA was talking about and I hadn't thought about those kinds of stories I am thinking about the story I have which in non-denominational sort of. Its not about the gambling and the road stories. Its about making a clean impression on someone who might have kids, might want something to do in their community and might make a good customer in a local pool room.

Thanks for the reply.
 
I understand

The trouble with writing pool stories or any other stories for that matter is that you have to cater to your target audience. A broad target audience like the one you are talking about requires that you provide details that describes the inner goings on of pooldom. That would most likely provide a shatstorm of criticism from the forum haters.

Mostly I write for my own pleasure. In my stories, I do try to appreciate those who also travel this path, not dumbing down or talking down to the reader since most who read my stuff are pool aficionados. I have written a pool blog with stories written about my travels and adventures and it is only recently where I shared my blog with my Facebook friends. I don't think I could ever share those same stories or my blog with family and friends who don't play pool.

Still, your idea has good merit but the bottom line, pool has to provide a pleasure of some type for those visiting the pool world to keep them coming back.

JoeyA

I do understand what you're talking about here. I shared one of my seedy pool stories in my book that I am sure pales in comparison to many out there that have happened on the Road and the reactions I got was interesting to say the least. This was not a story that would bring people into the game. It did have some allure and was true but this showed a view of a life that I would not want to portray to others.

Interesting note here though. I see that life and part of pool as being a vein leading to an artery that has kept pool alive for many years for those whose drive to compete draws them to the game. I agree with your post and I tried to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and include every demographic that I could, Men, women, children, various races and ethnic groups and even different countries. I believe it could be made much better and could lead to big things and I am trying to surpass the .....What's in it for me kind of thinking.

I would hope that were this to ever get put together that some prominent members of the forum and possibly some players etc would put some type of blessing on it and maybe it would actually work, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
Thanks King,

Basically its written and I wrote it. In order to do it I went after and used copy paste photos that I do not have permission to use in the public forum so I cant put it up anywhere or send to anyone.

What I did was I went to Fotolia.com and used a lot of photos of Models posing for pictures of being pretty, tasteful having fun playing pool and I used those to work my text around.

Then I found some photos of players and used those and what I have isn't bad at all the only problem is that it isn't legal.

In order to solve the problem I need some money to buy the photos from Fotolia and I need some players photos taken in the public realm where they are in action and not a posed photograph, then its done.

The power of this is that I could use something like this to not only promote pool but promote products if this were to work and its basically done.

I can see where collaboration with a lot of people could enhance this and make this happen in much better ways and I cant stand it not going forward but funding this totally myself and sending it out gives one sort of dry feeling if you understand. That is why I am asking for photos.

I understood what JoeyA was talking about and I hadn't thought about those kinds of stories I am thinking about the story I have which in non-denominational sort of. Its not about the gambling and the road stories. Its about making a clean impression on someone who might have kids, might want something to do in their community and might make a good customer in a local pool room.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I get a copy of your story? I would LOVE to read it.
Thanks,
JoeyA
 
Can I get a copy of your story? I would LOVE to read it.
Thanks,
JoeyA

Joey,
I would love to share it with you and anyone who even had an afterthought about maybe doing something to promote pool but a large part of it is visual and in order to share it I will have to replace the photos I have with photos that are legal. I might be willing to run off something black and white at Kinkos and share it with you that way, but digitally no can do not now anyway.

I would love to see every member of this forum getting a digital copy for free and sharing with people who they thought might enjoy pool.

I need some pictures to fill in some spaces that I have legal permission to use then everyone can have it.
 
People Having Fun Playing Pool---that You took

Joey,
I would love to share it with you and anyone who even had an afterthought about maybe doing something to promote pool but a large part of it is visual and in order to share it I will have to replace the photos I have with photos that are legal. I might be willing to run off something black and white at Kinkos and share it with you that way, but digitally no can do not now anyway.

I would love to see every member of this forum getting a digital copy for free and sharing with people who they thought might enjoy pool.

I need some pictures to fill in some spaces that I have legal permission to use then everyone can have it.

Pictures of the Pros aren't as hard to get. Pictures of People having fun playing pool are much harder....those are the ones I will likely have to buy...if anyone has pictures like these that they took I could really use those.....I need ones of different demographic groups.....I also need your name, address etc. I may want to purchase it for use.

You can send it to aimisthegameinpool@yahoo.com

I will reply.
 
Yes, and you can add at the end of the email.

If you don't pass this on to ten friends in the next minute, you will die within 24 hours.

Geez, I hate those ones.

But seriously, it sounds like a unique and fun idea. If people that don't or seldom play the game, are receiving pictures and stories might get the average person interested and out of the house for a night of pool.

They may find it more interesting than they thought and make a habit of it.

Robin, I just Googled: Stock Photos. People playing pool.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=stoc...eLYScjAL23ICQAg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1013&bih=508

Of course, there will be pictures of people playing in a swimming pool also. Haha. But, there are a few out there.

People playing in Mongolia.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stoc...a-marketplace-in-darhan-mongolia.html;300;470

Just about any member here is capable of taking a few during a league night or a night at the local hall as well.
 
Last edited:
Stock Photos

Yes, and you can add at the end of the email.

If you don't pass this on to ten friends in the next minute, you will die within 24 hours.

Geez, I hate those ones.

But seriously, it sounds like a unique and fun idea. If people that don't or seldom play the game, are receiving pictures and stories might get the average person interested and out of the house for a night of pool.

They may find it more interesting than they thought and make a habit of it.

Robin, I just Googled: Stock Photos. People playing pool.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=stoc...eLYScjAL23ICQAg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1013&bih=508

Of course, there will be pictures of people playing in a swimming pool also. Haha. But, there are a few out there.

People playing in Mongolia.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stoc...a-marketplace-in-darhan-mongolia.html;300;470

Just about any member here is capable of taking a few during a league night or a night at the local hall as well.

Thanks for the suggestion,

I have a bunch of stock photos from Fotolia but they really aren't legal for me to use unless I buy them and that's a little more that I wanted to do on my own. These companies make it hard to buy from them too although I like the ones I found since its email and that's all it is anyone can copy paste from their online files but Im sure they would not be happy if we started putting together material from it. Its a private domain.

Im sure that the photos exist out there that could be used.

Plenty of people I am sure have player photos taken in the public domain and those there shouldn't be any problem with if they themselves took them and I could use them as long as I got the takers permission.

The stock photos like I said are a little harder. I need photos of all cultures, age ranges, races, men, women and children playing pool. I guess I could stage some and take the pics myself and get releases and I would be more than willing to do that. It just takes time to be able to put it all together. It would be nice to get some material that people already have...cause its free to spread.
 
Thanks

Cool Idea...I'll be sure to snap some pics the next time we're out playing!!!

Thanks sounds good I will try and put something together out of anything that I get. I think this might end up being fun who knows what something like this could do.
 
All you need to do is get the younger generation to watch Color of Money. If that doesn't excite anyone to play after seeing that movie for the first time, they will likely never get excited about the game anyways.
 
Hard to Argue with that

All you need to do is get the younger generation to watch Color of Money. If that doesn't excite anyone to play after seeing that movie for the first time, they will likely never get excited about the game anyways.

How true.
Back in that day there were a lot more pool rooms than there are now and recreation centers that had tables so there was a lot of opportunity to play....weren't those the days?
 
Back
Top