New Member Here Pics of Room Included

tpavur

Registered
Hello all!

As a child I always wanted my own pool table growing up. As life would have it I joined the military and every location thus far simply would not accommodate having a table. While I'm not that good I'm glad to say I finally have my own table! btw I'm now out of the military working in the civilian sector but the wife is still in. Please let me know what you guys think of the room!

btw I still have some work to do such as some wall art and lighting. Obviously none of this would not have happened without an amazing wife that loves to see me happy!

Some before and after pics are below. Went with a 9 ft Santa Ana. Please give me some recommendations on lights. Art is on the way and the colors are black and white with red accent. Thought about a Diamond light but I'm worried it might be overkill.

Before:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Room!! You have a great space, just enjoy the practice and improvement that will follow.

BlackMDX

Registered
Well, you asked so I’ll give you my opinion. I preferred the softer, easy on the eyes, look of the original. Even the table you purchased has styling more suitable for that original decor. The changes you made begs for a commercial table style or a bar box.

tpavur

Registered
Thank you guys for the compliments!

Unfortunately the carpet had to go! This is our basement and the subtle colors of old did not break apart the upstairs from here enough.

BlackMDX

Registered
Thank you guys for the compliments!

Unfortunately the carpet had to go! This is our basement and the subtle colors of old did not break apart the upstairs from here enough.

My table is in a very large unfinished basement with high ceilings, so I have a wonderful space that in time may get finished into a beautiful game room.

One thing I have learned is all the hard surfaces make billiards a noisy game, and as luck would have it the table is under our master bedroom. So, a late evening of pool and beer with the boys can be problematic if my wife wants to go to bed at a normal hour. The noise of a powerful break will scare even a heavy sleeper out of a peaceful rest.

Anything you add to the floor or walls that provides some acoustical benefits will be well worth the money. A dropped acoustical tile ceiling doesn’t do much by itself, although it appears you have drywall on the ceiling.

Last edited:

tpavur

Registered
Luckily I have 1 floor separating the basement from the sleeping area! I can only hope that one day my break will wake everyone up! Lol

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice setup indeed! As for lighting goes there are so many choices and it's going to boil down to what you and the wife like the most. If you go the route of expensive tiffany shades with soldered joints, just beware that it may not be as durable as the plain metal 4 light bar for 150 bucks. For function the plain metal with the inside of the shade painted white will probably give you the most light and longevity. I would recommend a 4 light bar for a 9 foot table. My original light for my table was a fairly expensive tiffany mission style, it looked fabulous, but after a couple of months the solder on one of the shades let go and the shade fell on to the table. To make matters worse it was an on-line purchase and the place I purchased it from wanted nothing to do with refunding, or getting me a new shade or light assy. Yeah 600 bucks down the drain!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pictures never do justice

Pictures never do justice or rarely do. I am not a fan of the darker and louder new style room. I understand the reasons why and everybody has their own choices to make. While some other colors may work, I am pretty stuck on blue or green table cloth. That might force some changes in decor all by itself. Whatever, opinions are like something else that everyone has at least one or two of. Anything I say about the room is nit picking. It is a nice set-up and will give you many hours of pleasure. That is what matters!

I would look into LED lighting for the light. I think their output diminishes after a few hundred hours or so. That means you may have an overly bright light until they are broken in but I think they may be very nice for the long haul. Don't jump on LED without doing your homework, these are just impressions I have and may be in error. There may be other things entirely to consider too.

Enjoy your table and room! Both are far nicer than most of us have. I am looking for a bar table just to throw on the back porch and hit balls on, maybe a few feral cats or a skunk!

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My table is in a very large unfinished basement with high ceilings, so I have a wonderful space that in time may get finished into a beautiful game room.

One thing I have learned is all the hard surfaces make billiards a noisy game, and as luck would have it the table is under our master bedroom. So, a late evening of pool and beer with the boys can be problematic if my wife wants to go to bed at a normal hour. The noise of a powerful break will scare even a heavy sleeper out of a peaceful rest.

Anything you add to the floor or walls that provides some acoustical benefits will be well worth the money. A dropped acoustical tile ceiling doesn’t do much by itself, although it appears you have drywall on the ceiling.
I have wood floors in my basement room and no significant soft furniture in the area, but I did research and went with premium sound absorbing ceiling tiles. The bedroom isn't directly above the table and the area that is under it is a guest bedroom on the other side of a basement wall.

My wife says she can hear the breaks if she is awake in bed but once asleep it doesn't wake her.

I love the look of wood in a pool room and like what the OP did. Yes, the red cloth is not my taste but congrats on the upgrades.
7abf4e7d20a7eaa0cb6ddccedf4f3a9f.jpg

Sent from the future.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
tpavur … first off, welcome to the forum. Nice room you have, it should provide plenty of fun. What brand of table is that? Looks like a World of Leisure.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up litman lighting up got some nice set ups and can get with cameras in it for recording Practice. I too thank you for your service.

Desperado77

Nice room. Thanks for your service!! I have 2 boys that are currently active duty Marines. both stationed in California. When they come home (to Wyoming) on leave we always have a blast in our home pool room. Always a good place to share stories and recharge.