whittle

I joined the forum awhile ago and don't remember if I introduced myself, I enjoy woodworking, hunting, fishing, golf and now pool. You know my wife is thrilled I found a new hobby, anyway enough about me. I've recently started playing pool and have bought a 9' table I'm in the process of refinishing. I have a couple questions I hope someone on here can help me with. I'm recovering with blue cloth and would like to know if the yellow beeswax will show thru or should I look for another color. I purchased the yellow or I guess natural before I thought about that. There is one guy on youtube that fills the seams with bondo and then spray paints to the slate color., what are your opinions on bondo vs beeswax? There are a few chips in the slate at the seams that I'm going to repair with bondo and depending on the opinions here will determine what to use on the seams. Thanks in advance for any reply's

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I joined the forum awhile ago and don't remember if I introduced myself, I enjoy woodworking, hunting, fishing, golf and now pool. You know my wife is thrilled I found a new hobby, anyway enough about me. I've recently started playing pool and have bought a 9' table I'm in the process of refinishing. I have a couple questions I hope someone on here can help me with. I'm recovering with blue cloth and would like to know if the yellow beeswax will show thru or should I look for another color. I purchased the yellow or I guess natural before I thought about that. There is one guy on youtube that fills the seams with bondo and then spray paints to the slate color., what are your opinions on bondo vs beeswax? There are a few chips in the slate at the seams that I'm going to repair with bondo and depending on the opinions here will determine what to use on the seams. Thanks in advance for any reply's
Welcome! The material of choice for the slate seams is Bondo. No need to paint it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

welcome. are you a fellow whittler? if so, favorite knife?

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although it was green cloth and not blue, I didn't have a problem of the beeswax showing thru..

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome, can’t help with seams but know my 9’ gold crown was done with bondo. I may not be the best player on the forum but I’m sure I’m the best looking! 😎

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 8-foot table was jointed with beeswax.
The beeswax was never a problem--just melt it onto the joint let cool for a few seconds, and then flatten with a putty knife.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Durham rock hard water putty is my favorite.
This stuff will set up and bond under water!

My parents retired to Florida and the master bath had something stuck to the porcelain in the low part of the toilet.

They were in their 80s and I asked them if they had any repairs made in the bathroom.
They did and I immediately suspected the clowns had tossed their left over water putty down the toilet. It had set up and bonded to the porcelain!

I carefully got a razor blade under a corner and it popped off intact. After looking at it closely I knew it was Durham Rock Hard Water Putty.

It was stuck there for three years as they thought it was just a stain… The only other product similar Is Fixall, that know of.

After 40 years doing construction you see a lot of stuff that is pretty surprising!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bondo is probably the best thing but if you've never worked with it, you can get yourself in trouble.
Bees Wax is easy to work with. My local room uses this.
Water Putty is easy to work with but if your table moves there's a possibility for it to pop out.
If the mating surfaces are clean and smooth, super glue is a real nice solution.

One last thing. Since you have some chipped edges, I don't think you can use bees wax and then come back with bondo to fix the chips.
If the chips are small, choose 1 product for everything. (Bees Wax, Bondo, Water Putty ) If there's large chunks, I think there's no other choice but Bondo.

I'm not a Table Mechanic, just a novice. There's a Mechanics Forum here. That's where you'll get better answers from Pro Mechanics

whittle

Bondo is probably the best thing but if you've never worked with it, you can get yourself in trouble.
Bees Wax is easy to work with. My local room uses this.
Water Putty is easy to work with but if your table moves there's a possibility for it to pop out.
If the mating surfaces are clean and smooth, super glue is a real nice solution.

One last thing. Since you have some chipped edges, I don't think you can use bees wax and then come back with bondo to fix the chips.
If the chips are small, choose 1 product for everything. (Bees Wax, Bondo, Water Putty ) If there's large chunks, I think there's no other choice but Bondo.

I'm not a Table Mechanic, just a novice. There's a Mechanics Forum here. That's where you'll get better answers from Pro Mechanics
I've worked with bondo before so that wouldn't be a problem. Just wasn't sure if I should use it on seams as I've read different views on which product is the best. One thing that may influence my choice is that my table will need to be moved in a year from the shop to the house. I was going to repair the chips at the seams before applying beeswax. The only place I was applying beeswax before bondo was on top of the screws. My rails don't completly cover the screw holes that hold the slate to the frame.
Thanks for all the reply's

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I've worked with bondo before so that wouldn't be a problem. Just wasn't sure if I should use it on seams as I've read different views on which product is the best. One thing that may influence my choice is that my table will need to be moved in a year from the shop to the house. I was going to repair the chips at the seams before applying beeswax. The only place I was applying beeswax before bondo was on top of the screws. My rails don't completly cover the screw holes that hold the slate to the frame.
You can completely seam it with bondo, when you take it apart you just run a razor blade down the seam and lift as usual. If there has been wax in the past you can take it off with turpentine and wiping it with rags. It works surprisingly well for dealing with past wax.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my plan was to move the table in a few months or a year, my preference would be water putty.
Its real easy to remove.
Once in a permanent space, my choice would be bondo. Of course that's just my opinion.