New owner of GC1

DeeDeeCues

About nine days ago I became the proud owner of a 9ft gold crown 1. I know nothing about the table, it was in a hall of some sort, as it has a table number on it.

I'm in the process of smoothing the dings and dents in the skirts and legs. Will be painting them soon.

I'm doing all the work myself, will be paying one of our esteemed members for advice along the way (he may identify himself here if he wishes, suffice to say I have extreme confidence in him and like his attitude).

I'm in the process of getting the room ready. It will be 19x27 with a stairwell in one corner. Private access room next to what will be my home office (CAD, 3d printing), above the shop.

I'm considering a lot of color scheme options an I may end up going non-traditional.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About nine days ago I became the proud owner of a 9ft gold crown 1. I know nothing about the table, it was in a hall of some sort, as it has a table number on it.

I'm in the process of smoothing the dings and dents in the skirts and legs. Will be painting them soon.

I'm doing all the work myself, will be paying one of our esteemed members for advice along the way (he may identify himself here if he wishes, suffice to say I have extreme confidence in him and like his attitude).

I'm in the process of getting the room ready. It will be 19x27 with a stairwell in one corner. Private access room next to what will be my home office (CAD, 3d printing), above the shop.

I'm considering a lot of color scheme options an I may end up going non-traditional.
Congrats! I restored my table about two years ago. Here's a thread of the journey.

DeeDeeCues

Congrats! I restored my table about two years ago. Here's a thread of the journey.

Thanks for that, I'll look at it when I'm too tired to work on the room and table tonight.

I misspoke in the first post, I haven't touched the skirts, have the aprons nearly ready for paint.

Your rail laminates look like they are in a bit better shape than mine. I'm considering options for mine.

I didn't get quite as good a deal as you, I paid 550, then gave the guy a decent tip for helping move the slates out of the basement.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that, I'll look at it when I'm too tired to work on the room and table tonight.

I misspoke in the first post, I haven't touched the skirts, have the aprons nearly ready for paint.

Your rail laminates look like they are in a bit better shape than mine. I'm considering options for mine.

I didn't get quite as good a deal as you, I paid 550, then gave the guy a decent tip for helping move the slates out of the basement.
$550 is still a smoking deal. I'm looking forward to your progress. What paint are you planning to use?

DeeDeeCues

$550 is still a smoking deal. I'm looking forward to your progress. What paint are you planning to use?

So many ideas. It will be automotive paint. For aprons I've considered everything from metallic Sapphire blue to caramel, to saddle brown.... For skirts, legs, etc. I am either bone white/ivory or a light-medium gray. Too many choices. The aprons and skirts don't worry me too much, they come off easily enough and my shop is close. The rest means more work to change.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

Congrats - you'll love it. Was someone bouncing balls off the laminate at one time?

Dings and chips from ham-handed recovering mostly, is what it looks like. Possible cigarette burns. All very usable, but I'm confident in my ability to repair and I have tools/space/time. I figure the room won't be ready for a couple of months.

Do it right, or do it over.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Dings and chips from ham-handed recovering mostly, is what it looks like. Possible cigarette burns. All very usable, but I'm confident in my ability to repair and I have tools/space/time. I figure the room won't be ready for a couple of months.

Do it right, or do it over.
;) Gotcha! Let me know if you figure a slick way to fill the divots in the Formica. Mine has a few ball dents from drunken college students back in the day.

kitsap

Registered

Enjoy your new purchase and the journey to get to the end.

As a gift to those of us who like to follow these journeys, it would be nice if you could post some pictures!

DeeDeeCues

Enjoy your new purchase and the journey to get to the end.

As a gift to those of us who like to follow these journeys, it would be nice if you could post some pictures!

I'll try to update with photos. I tend to neglect photos, I should get better about that.

DeeDeeCues

Great plan! Some Bolivian Rosewood GC rails would be awesome!

I have enough curly bubinga to maybe get half done and I should be able to get a close match for the rest.

I was considering making new aprons out of matching wood, but that is a down-the-road project. I'd probably go for American cherry if I did rails and aprons to match.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
So mysterious. I can’t wait to see pictures and perhaps the reveal of this mystery man.