New Schmelke

I liked Schmelkes cc103 style cue, simple style and attractive wood. Talked with Dave about an sks shaft and how to incorporate the look into that cue. After asking for and taking his advice, we changed the whole cue from bocote and birdseye, to 100% curly maple. I personally love the look. Beautiful and simple. Plays great, the kielwood shaft's LD is very apparent. To me it feels like the kielwood in the butt helps restore the balance with the shaft. But what do I know. Dave Schmelke is a heck of a nice guy to deal with. My first custom cue, and i couldn't be happier. Curly kw shaft, curly kw foregrip, curly maple wrapless, curly kw sleeve, curly maple butt cap. Radial pin, 18oz, Schmelkes ultraskin soft tip.

Attachments

• 20220808_000551.jpg
    20220808_000551.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 20220808_000634.jpg
    20220808_000634.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 20220808_000658.jpg
    20220808_000658.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20220808_000737.jpg
    20220808_000737.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 20220808_000807.jpg
    20220808_000807.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 20220807_235921.jpg
    20220807_235921.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 328

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful cue! I just built a roasted curly maple cue and had to use Purple Heart for the whole handle and forearm to get it to weight. That roasted curly is beautiful but light. Schmelke makes a great cue for the money for sure.

Thats a good question. I didn't think to ask. I don't really know enough about the strengths of various woods to necessitate coring but the weight concern does make sense. I like a light cue so for me any shift in the balance may go unnoticed, but in the hands of a more experienced player it might be apparent. Its my player not my breaker, and I'm still treating it like a new car, which I can't help lol. I took some pics just now of the joint and the weight (gf laughed at me before work- "men and their sticks!", so maybe someone can make heads or tails of it. Regardless I like it a lot. Perfect for me.. My old player is a "players" sneaky and its decent but I wanted something with a little more personality and A LOT more feel and action. My father had an old meucci rempe jr-3. He didn't have much when he passed away but I inherited the cue. Needless to say its in the 48 gun safe. With help from this forum I found that it indeed is an early 80s meucci (3/4 weight bore hole, very old/tarnished flat head weight screw). I bring it to league sometimes and it blows my sneaky right out of the water. Its meant to be played with, for sure, but for sentimental reasons I set out on the search for a new player thats on par with the old meucci and with Dave's help, I got one. Thanks for the replies, I am very interested in a purple heart breaker (no way around that pun) in the near future. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220808_063738.jpg
    20220808_063738.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220808_063805.jpg
    20220808_063805.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 124

Rosewood

Nice looking cue you got there. Would look great with a wt/grn spec wrap. I often think about getting a schmelke pointed cue, to try one out, but never pulled the trigger. Need to control the cue urge, if ya'll know what I mean. Still.......

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a good question. I didn't think to ask. I don't really know enough about the strengths of various woods to necessitate coring but the weight concern does make sense. I like a light cue so for me any shift in the balance may go unnoticed, but in the hands of a more experienced player it might be apparent. Its my player not my breaker, and I'm still treating it like a new car, which I can't help lol. I took some pics just now of the joint and the weight (gf laughed at me before work- "men and their sticks!", so maybe someone can make heads or tails of it. Regardless I like it a lot. Perfect for me.. My old player is a "players" sneaky and its decent but I wanted something with a little more personality and A LOT more feel and action. My father had an old meucci rempe jr-3. He didn't have much when he passed away but I inherited the cue. Needless to say its in the 48 gun safe. With help from this forum I found that it indeed is an early 80s meucci (3/4 weight bore hole, very old/tarnished flat head weight screw). I bring it to league sometimes and it blows my sneaky right out of the water. Its meant to be played with, for sure, but for sentimental reasons I set out on the search for a new player thats on par with the old meucci and with Dave's help, I got one. Thanks for the replies, I am very interested in a purple heart breaker (no way around that pun) in the near future. Cheers!
Not just weight but warping concerns. Curly/birdseye can move over time if not cored.

This poster only has 4 posts so your reference to hitting the Jackpot means nothing to him in the way we know.
But nice post anyway.
True, I did not. Had to research it. Sucks someone is rebranding a finished product. I'm well aware of Schmelkes blank production, and for a budget wise American made cue that made it a no brainer. For a few hundred bucks I couldn't be happier. When I was 10yo I put redline stickers on my huffy bmx, it didn't make it a redline lol.

rustysregular10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t care what anyone thinks. Schmelke makes a damn fine cue. Really unbeatable for the money. I’ve had several. Some hit better than some of the expensive name cues I’ve had. I currently have one in my case. He does great work. Sure his name isn’t that of a tascarella or szamboti but good work nonetheless. Congrats.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Bacote Schmelke is cored.
And it's a lot of cue for the $231 and free shipping I paid for it.
Now side by side with my Troy Downey the experienced eye can see a difference but thats comparing a $1000 cue to a $231 cue.
Bacote is awesome wood. Great to work with and one of the most stable. A natural good for playing cue wood, even uncored.