New Way to Play 9ball Matches

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller...

I "came up" with a new way to play a 9ball match that while confusing at first, I think is more fun than your typical race to x. I'll try to explain the rules the best I can.

First, instead of playing to whoever wins x games first, you would play to whoever reaches an agreed upon number of points before the other player. The rules I came up with are as follows:

1. Alternate breaks
2. Each win will count as 10 points, whether on your break or your opponent's.
3. If you lose on your break, you deduct 5 points from your score, and your opponent gets 10 points for winning. This makes it very important to hold your break.
4. If you snap the 9 ball on the break, you have the following options
A. Take the game, but only win 5 points instead of 10.​
B. Spot the 9 ball, take ball in hand anywhere on the​
table, and have one attempt to run the table.

If you run the table, you get your ten points.​
However, if the run out attempt is not successful,​
then your opponent gets those 10 points.​


All other rules are Texas Express.

I'm sure something similar has been thought of before. I don't know how well this would do in a tournament setting, but I think it would be fun for gambling.
 
Bieber Lover eh? That's gotta go over well when you roll up to the jukebox at the pool hall :D

I'm not sure how fair or fun this point system can be because the average player doesn't run out in 9 ball, and usually ends his inning by trying to run out and missing the ball. That effectively makes it a crapshoot who wins, which means if the breaker loses, he gets docked 5 points on top of the 10 point lead his opponent just gained. I guess the idea is to promote table control, but ultimately I think the point system just adds a random element to things... like "I won, but due to something mostly beyond my control, it only counts 50%"... or "I lost, but because I broke dry, it counts 150%".

I sort of like the APA's system of assigning points to the balls for 9 ball. You get credit for the balls you run, though the 9 is still important in that it counts double and earns you a break as well.
 
Complicated.

What about early 9 ball combos are they scored the same as a 9 on the break?
 
Back
Top