New York City Players thread

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got it, my wife got it, my son got it (but no symptoms), a good friend of mine got it a week ago. You won't witness sick people because they stay inside like they should. I have not run across any rapes or murders myself either, but they seem to happen without us personally witnessing them.

Only way to stop disease spread is to have everyone, everywhere, isolate for weeks at a time so it can't spread and dies out due to how long the virus can live. One person can infect a hundred or more by end of the day with how many people we come in contact with each day. Since we are still going around people, it will not end or slow much till the vaccine is out. Even then it will be around at the level of the flu.
Theoretically true, but in reality, very few can sustain themselves for such a period without work, food trips, medical visits, etc...

If 80% can and 20% can't, the actions of the 20% will override the actions of the 80%.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Is it worth it to do the pro at home matches in a pool room.

Each person on their own table?

Whats the event schedule for New York ? Who has the inside connection?

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lower manhattan, battery park

Attachments

• F2631D0B-4124-4BDE-904F-3492C8190F6D.jpeg
    F2631D0B-4124-4BDE-904F-3492C8190F6D.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 109

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread.

At last, I am the bearer of good news!

Very pleased to report that Amsterdam Billiards is now open. I dropped by for about forty five minutes this afternoon. I have to give them a rave review for observing safety protocols. Everybody playing was wearing a mask and every other table is out of use to ensure social distancing. The room looked absolutely beautiful, too. I can't say I was surprised by any of this, as Amsterdam Billiards is managed as well as any pool room I've ever frequented. Next time, I'm bringing my cue.

I was delighted to catch up with the owner, the general managers, and I also ran into Thorsten Hohmann there. I had time for a nice chat with each.

For a safe pool playing experience, you can't make a better choice than Amsterdam Billiards. The two things you need to know, however, is that the bar is closed and the room closes every night at the state-imposed time of10:00 PM.

Pool in NYC is back and I plan to play this weekend for the first time since the last week of February 2020. I can't wait.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The NYState supreme count ruling on 1/15/21 allowed 15 pool halls to reopen for pool. In NYC there's still no indoor food or drink. I looked at Facebook pages for the 15 NYC rooms yesterday and only 6 said they were reopening...

I think we are definitely losing a bunch of pool halls over this in the country. Goddam shame what government has done to people who took the risks to build something in this country. I had multiday email conversation with the top lawyer in a NY state agency...they all still think what they are doing to nonessential businesses is legal and justified...of course he would.

The state is losing huge cases in courts over closure of all sorts of businesses. There will be massive class action suits for lost income. NY state may be going broke soon too.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
The NYState supreme count ruling on 1/15/21 allowed 15 pool halls to reopen for pool. In NYC there's still no indoor food or drink. I looked at Facebook pages for the 15 NYC rooms yesterday and only 6 said they were reopening...

I think we are definitely losing a bunch of pool halls over this in the country. Goddam shame what government has done to people who took the risks to build something in this country. I had multiday email conversation with the top lawyer in a NY state agency...they all still think what they are doing to nonessential businesses is legal and justified...of course he would.

The state is losing huge cases in courts over closure of all sorts of businesses. There will be massive class action suits for lost income. NY state may be going broke soon too.

This is why making pool a high school sport nationally can change public opinion.

The general public is under educated about billiards and how it can help youth develop.

Reactions: sjm

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
This is why making pool a high school sport nationally can change public opinion.

The general public is under educated about billiards and how it can help youth develop.
High School Skeet teams could potentially create a much larger impression if not message to those who need it.

justnum

Silver Member
High School Skeet teams could potentially create a much larger impression if not message to those who need it.
Parents that play pool never have time for the Parent Teachers Association meetings.

Before MMA was legalized in NYC, public schools in NYC were allowed to have "combat clubs"

Today MMA is legal and a cash cow. MMA gyms are packed with people trying to make their bones.

I am referring to the UFC, Glory, K2 whatever fight competitions you like.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Parents that play pool never have time for the Parent Teachers Association meetings.

Before MMA was legalized in NYC, public schools in NYC were allowed to have "combat clubs"

Today MMA is legal and a cash cow. MMA gyms are packed with people trying to make their bones.

I am referring to the UFC, Glory, K2 whatever fight competitions you like.
Not an MMA fighter alive that can stop a bullet.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Very well said.

The problem is that pool's negative image is reinforced all too often. Parents perceive the culture surrounding pool to include raucous, rowdy, profane, poorly dressed and predatory figures. Parents are provided evidence of this view anytime they get near the sport. In America, I think the poor image is as big a problem at pro level as in the poolrooms. Pool, for that reason, doesn't offer many role models for youth to emulate.

Just as you say, pool can be very educational and developmental, but it's a product that has to be sold, and it's a hard sell. Mark Wilson sold it successfully at the college level, and while his initiative at a college in Missouri ultimately proved unsustainable, he is to be admired and his example followed.

Pool clubs in the schools would be great, and not as something to prepare one for a career in pool. After all, how many people who play in their high school chess club aspire to a career in chess?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is becoming more of a fringe sport every day. Sure I'd like to see some bigger payouts and more events for amateurs and pros. Otherwise it's okay to me pool is small. People are connected more than before and tell me it isn't great to have access to pros and play in pro events for a couple hundred bucks.

Pool will never completely extinguish but it is equally unlikely it will ever see a major rebirth.

It is very difficult to run a pool hall and make a profit. Much harder with the higher rent and overhead in metropolitan areas. There will be a bunch of rooms closing because of the shutdowns.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amsterdam is indeed open and looking as great as ever- however, the bar is closed and i wonder how they can pay the bills on $7-$16 an hour table time

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Too many individuals and entities are suffering, you are right. And to think legal action would ever be heard on the matter, absent the uncovering of some sort of nefarious and illegal conspiracy to harm, is naive.

Government is doing what it believes to be right. If it turns out it's actions were wrong, there are legal protections which cover unintentional negative harm.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread.

At last, I am the bearer of good news!

Very pleased to report that Amsterdam Billiards is now open. I dropped by for about forty five minutes this afternoon. I have to give them a rave review for observing safety protocols. Everybody playing was wearing a mask and every other table is out of use to ensure social distancing. The room looked absolutely beautiful, too. I can't say I was surprised by any of this, as Amsterdam Billiards is managed as well as any pool room I've ever frequented. Next time, I'm bringing my cue.

I was delighted to catch up with the owner, the general managers, and I also ran into Thorsten Hohmann there. I had time for a nice chat with each.

For a safe pool playing experience, you can't make a better choice than Amsterdam Billiards. The two things you need to know, however, is that the bar is closed and the room closes every night at the state-imposed time of10:00 PM.

Pool in NYC is back and I plan to play this weekend for the first time since the last week of February 2020. I can't wait.
OK, I just got back from Amsterdam Billiards. First, a correction from my last post. Every table is in use, but limited to a maximum of two players.

I played for about fifteen minutes without an opponent Typically, I shoot pool without an opponent about once a year, but in the near term, I won't have much choice. I played two racks of straight pool and one rack of nine ball. It is difficult to describe how challenging it was to hit my first shots in 11 months, but I took my best shot. I quickly learned that my neck arthritis has worsened since I last shot, but I wasn't going to let that get in the way of my return to the glorious green felt.

In the two racks of straight pool I played, my high run was 10. I did leave a break shot upon completing my second rack, but never shot it. I did manage to get out in two innings in nine ball, running up to the six, missing, and then running out from there. I'm just glad there were no witnesses!

Most importantly, I felt very safe there, as all players and staff were masked.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a pool hall open now in White Plains NY- one of my sons has been going there- and US1 Billiards in West Haven CT- owned by Jason Shaw's father in law has a Fargo 700 and under tournament going on there today with 32 entrants - my son sent me photos.

justnum

Silver Member
Only a handful of people would know ABC NYC.

I know some are here so. hi everyone. Its not a full reopen, but hopefully mostly everyone is still alive.

NYCabc.gif