Newbie Adoption/Mentoring

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to get folks opinion on an idea I have that may help a new person interested in pool, or maybe introduce pool to someone that may not otherwise considered giving the game a try.

In addition to pool, I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, and I used to hang out on mc forums which were basically the same as here, only mc riders rather than pool players. One of the things we did every spring was have adopt a newbie threads where veterans took new people under their wing and went riding with them to help them ride safer and smarter. Make new friends, etc. Many of us were local to each other and we'd even organize group rides that would be paced for beginning riders that were otherwise nervous/inexperienced in traffic, etc.

It was easy, and quickly apparent what the mindset of the new rider was like. If they were going to ride recklessly, and take chances, you could tell pretty soon into a ride. You could also tell just as easily if the person was more reserved, and level headed. So a mentor would quickly know if the new rider was a good fit for how they preferred to ride. Some mentors loved to take on the reckless riders, get them interested in riding on race tracks, doing stunts in controlled areas, etc. Other mentors took the folks that appeared to be in it more for the long haul and would often do all day rides or multi-day rides through multiple states, etc.

I think this could be a good thing for pool as well. It gives the people that are active in the sport a chance to help expand the popularity and also help shape and mold the future participants. Passing things on like knowledge and wisdom, proper etiquette and conduct, and just the enjoyment of the wonderful game we all love so much.

I realize not everyone is local on here but it does seem like people do manage to get together. I've already managed to meet one person on AZB and hope to meet more.

I am curious as to what others think of the idea and possibly offer some ideas of their own. Maybe this idea isn't new here, I'm not sure, but I thought it may interest some.

Thanks for reading and any comments you might have.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nitpicker...There is already a movement to accomplish exactly what you're talking about. It's called Pool Awareness Week, and it is scheduled for next month. The idea is for every one of us (not just pro players or instructors) to take one newbie under our wing, and get them playing pool, when they ordinarily would not have, for whatever reason. Doug (pro9dg) is spearheading this effort, and several of us have gotten involved already, including Mosconi Cup Team America, Mark Wilson and myself. I'm reaching to all of our instructors, asking them to participate in this important PAW effort.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=369219

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The pool players analogy to the motorcycle riders mentor program:

We play a few games. Then I figure out what spot I need to give you. Then we bet a couple hundred bucks on a match. Then I take your money.

Unfair, you say? Don't be such a nit. :grin: