Newbie and nerves

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more you do it, the easier it gets, when the pressures on you.
Developing the right attitude is the key, I believe.
And every one gets nervous. It's just how you handle it.
just enjoy the ride!! That's the most important thing. No matter the outcome, you will keep coming back.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keep playing .. as you get better you will get more confident and that overrides the nerves. Do not drink / drugs. Never mind what others do or say. Nerves? Maybe that’s good thing now … indicates you are trying seriously to perform. You’ll be fine. It takes time

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a newbie to playing pool, about 5 months into it. I have been playing on a league and am presently a APA 5 rated. I would be winning more matches with my skill set if I could just get over the nerves when playing. I was wondering how many people here don't reach their potential because of nerves, and also how people overcome them as well. Are you still affected by nervousness? How do you deal with this?
Time & experience are your two best friends.

Both time and experience will settle the nerves as everything becomes routine. Like anything in life.

It’s human nature to get a little nervous now and then when a match has value and it is important. We aren’t dead inside, but with experience and time those emotions become manageable.

Just focus on the task at hand. “One ball at a time” it’s been said a million times and is solid advice.

The book titled “The inner game of tennis” is a great book to read as well. Pool, golf, tennis, bowling all the same idea. The book just uses tennis-it’s about your question not tennis lessons. I’d bet most everyone here has read it.

That’s really all there is to it. Easier said than done-but it’s a process we all went through. Some handle it better than others. It’s a spectrum and there’s no fixed time line. So don’t pressure yourself. Read that book. Play pool. One ball at a time.

This process is called “paying your dues”. All good players have went through it. That’s the process, and that saying is older than me. I’m 56 and been playing over 40 years. I’m not a champion, just well seasoned.

Best of luck, you’ll be just fine

Fatboy 😃

tomatoshooter

Affected:: yes.

Deal:: step back, take a deep breath, walk around the table not thinking of anything.
This is what works for me. It's a different form of concentration than most things, to eliminate thoughts. I've noticed on simple drills like the Mighty X, the limitation is not my technique, but my ability to push all thoughts out of my head.

DrClaw

The Drowning Fish
Back in the day I used to load the jukebox with my favorite songs and it helped a lot. These days you can use earbuds.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a newbie to playing pool, about 5 months into it. I have been playing on a league and am presently a APA 5 rated. I would be winning more matches with my skill set if I could just get over the nerves when playing. I was wondering how many people here don't reach their potential because of nerves, and also how people overcome them as well. Are you still affected by nervousness? How do you deal with this?
You have to keep exposing yourself to stressful situations. I am not saying that I don't feel nerves, or that they never negatively impact the way I play, because I do and they do. However, there is no doubt that you will improve if you stick with it.

Don't give up.

kollegedave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll skip echoing 'the more you do it ..' . Coz it is true.

This is one of the insane beauties of this game, that you have to be able to execute. You got it

skiergd011013

Ativan known generically as Lorazpam.
Very mild but effective when taken in a low dose
also depending on what state the op is in, he/she could try CBD oil. All natural and safer. Although i agree with you, ativan is a fantastic medication if used responsibly, but a script is needed. CBD you can just buy.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ativan is a fantastic medication if used responsibly
A person at my club house. Exactly what he did not do.... Instead of one per whatever he used them like Tic-Tacs. He was easy to beat.
Using stuff to calm nerves...especially for pool. Please avoid this. Learn to perform (anything) as you are. Work without a crutch. This is an old man lecturing. Be yourself as is. Unless your Doc prescribes for a condition stay away.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A person at my club house. Exactly what he did not do.... Instead of one per whatever he used them like Tic-Tacs. Has easy to beat.
Using stuff to calm nerves...especially for pool. Please avoid this. Learn to perform (anything) as you are. Work without a crutch. This is an old man lecturing. Be yourself as is. Unless your Doc prescribes for a condition stay away.
My Doctor prescribed Lorazpam for occasional panic attacks related to my PTSD related to my tours in Viet Nam.
But when used as prescribed it is a great calmer of nerves.
I don't abuse it.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Know why Stephen Curry can bomb in 3 pointers like it was nuthin' no matter the stress? Because he has practiced 3 pointers from everywhere so many times that from the time the ball is in his hands and his eyes see the hoop it is all automatic. Muscle memory is developed through practice. The more you can rely on muscle memory the more confidence you will have regardless of the pressure.

So, when you miss a shot while practicing, set it up again and again until that shot is automatic, practice some more, then come back to the problem shot and make it a few more times. Success breeds success.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Controlling your anxiety isn't a thing all by itself. It's part of your "skill set" and as you are finding out. A large part at that. I agree with the pre shot routine to control nerves. Which is why it's so important to develop and use the exact same pre shot routine on EVERY shot, not just the nervy ones. It will take you to where you want to go but you must be faithful to it. Every shot is it's own compartmentalized thing with a solid pre shot routine and your mind will be busy with the steps not the outcome.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Unless you're planning on making a living playing pool, remember that it is just a game. Enjoy yourself. Stay away from substances, (drugs, alcohol, etc) unless you're getting medical advice from a professional...preferably one that doesn't sleep on a cot above the bar, or a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!! 😉👍

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
also depending on what state the op is in, he/she could try CBD oil. All natural and safer. Although i agree with you, ativan is a fantastic medication if used responsibly, but a script is needed. CBD you can just buy.
Beta blockers are so effective they are banned. I was on one awaiting heart surgery about 20 years ago and happened to notice all my pool anxiety was gone during that time in match play.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beta blockers are so effective they are banned. I was on one awaiting heart surgery about 20 years ago and happened to notice all my pool anxiety was gone during that time in match play.
Wasn't this about the same time as the "Ice Cream Queen?" 😁😂

Twocylndr

To give yourself some pressure, play the Ghost, with shot clock, a short clock.
A few brewskis won't hurt.

"To Alcohol, the cause of, and the solution to all of life's problems." Homer (Simpson)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nerves are a funny thing.
I worked for many years with a former professional boxer that had around 50 fights.
He told me that the day of the fight he would get so nervous that he often thought about pulling out.
But the moment the bell rang the nerves settled down and he was fine through the whole fight.
Weird huh?