Next kid playing pool you see....

Banks

Banned
I also thought that was a weird comment. Must have mistyped or something.......

Al

Probably. Don't think he eats pretzels.

I had no inspiration, just needed something to do.

I do try to be nice and compliment the newer and lower players, both at the bar and in league. Certainly remember the times the "good" players were total jerks and that's enough. Unless they're exceedingly slow or use an aiming system.. :p

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I happen to know a young boy not quite 13 yrs old. His dad is a world champion professional pool player. He has an older sibling who naturally started playing pool before he did. Nonetheless, of the two boys, Tommy, Jr. is the one that's really taken to the game. Naturally, his dad can teach anything and everything about pool but sometimes doesn't get communicated very well between parent and the child.....ever try teaching your kids how to drive........same advice from a stranger becomes pearls of wisdom that you previously may have uttered multiple times.....maybe even incessantly yet your kids were seemingly deaf to what you tried to get across.

When I have been able to spend time with TJ, at his dad's request I want to add because I don't want anyone to get the impression I was meddling, it has been nothing but pure enjoyment. I wish I had someone work with me when I was his age. And to be that young and interested in a game and have the best pool cue equipment to use, play in leagues, practice with older, much better players, have modern instructional aides and training material.......and his dad manages a pool hall.......and there's a table at home.......Hmn.....get the picture.......how good could this young fellow become?

Well, maybe he could be flashy but no endurance, or maybe just a talented shot maker, or perhaps a truly talented player with world class potential and aptitude to match........it's just fun to observe someone who has so much available to take advantage of actually use their circumstances and strive to become a better pool player than his dad who's not too shabby I might add. This young boy has commitment, enthusiasm and respect for the game.
I really feel fortunate to be able to spend time with him while he's still emerging as a player and I do think he'll become better than his dad, Tommy Hill.

Matt B.

Last edited:

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imo i think that we as players play a big part into getting this game back on track. the advanced players need to occasionally pay their dues and help the beginners who need help. honestly if you love something you should give back at least a little. just a quick tip here or there, or a compliment as the OP suggested. i know i remember compliments/help from advanced players whenever i very first began and they stayed with me and it meant a lot to me even if i didnt tell anyone. if i see someone in the pool hall who puts the time in on the table- if they are open to advice and are willing to listen ill give them my time.

mrmagoo42

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice thought about a simple compliment.

My girlfriend has the patients of a saint and spends a couple hours every week on a junior league. Your point is dead on about a compliment being a boost to a young players confidence. But she gets them to another level by insisting on sportsmanship and respect for the game. It didn't stick with all of them but you know that a few of them got it and you pointed in the right direction.
My experience with jr players are completely over the top when I recall some of there accomplishments on and off the table. Regional champs to just plain good Samaritans. Would not trade these memories for anything. S5001203.jpg
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=360190

Last edited: