Nick Schulman and Jeremy Jones Commentating at the U.S. Open

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night's match between Shane Van Boening and Francisco Sanchez Ruiz was intense and pool at its finest. Right out of the gate, Shane runs a 5-pack, leaving Francisco benched, but a few errors by Captain America allowed Francisco to win 8 games in a row, and this time, it was Shane who was benched.

During this match, the entire audience was glued, standing room only, sweating these two champions. I have to say it's one of the most exciting matches I've seen in a long time, but what made it better for me was the commentary.

Nick Schulman, who used to play pool when he was a young'n in New York City, knows the game well and its players. He is very comfortable in front of the microphone with his experience in the poker world commentating. There were no awkward moments or bad calls. There were no uh, um, or other utterances. When Albin Ouschan and Jayson Shaw were in the booth with him, Nick led the conversation, bringing up the subject matters, and it was so informative. You could see that Jayson and Albin let him drive the commentary because he knew what he was doing.

To add a little color about Nick, as a poker pro, he has accumulated more than $8.3 million in live tournament earnings. Although the 35-year-old poker pro is primarily a cash game player, he has won several World Series of Poker gold bracelets and a World Poker Tour title. Oh, tomorrow is his birthday, and he'll be 36. He sure is easy on the eyes, speaking as a female.

Of course, I need not throw flowers at Jeremy Jones in the booth. We all know he's a natural. Not only is he current with his knowledge base on the players and their backgrounds, but he can foresee a play coming up and usually calls it right each and every time.

Jeremy and Nick, a Dynamic Duo in the booth!

Nick Schulman's first major gig behind a mic was alongside veteran host Ali Nejad covering the 2016 $300,000 buy-in Super High Roller Bowl for CBS Sports. His mix of strategy insight and breezy banter was lauded by fans and fellow poker pros alike, with big names like Phil Galfond and Mike Sexton taking to social media to sing his praises.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Last night's match between Shane Van Boening and Francisco Sanchez Ruiz was intense and pool at its finest. Right out of the gate, Shane runs a 5-pack, leaving Francisco benched, but a few errors by Captain America allowed Francisco to win 8 games in a row, and this time, it was Shane who was benched.

During this match, the entire audience was glued, standing room only, sweating these two champions. I have to say it's one of the most exciting matches I've seen in a long time, but what made it better for me was the commentary.

Nick Schulman, who used to play pool when he was a young'n in New York City, knows the game well and its players. He is very comfortable in front of the microphone with is experience in the poker world commentating. There were no awkward moments or bad calls. There were no uh, um, or other utterances. When Albin Ouschan and Jayson Shaw were in the booth with him, Nick led the conversation, bringing up the subject matters, and it was so informative. You could see that Jayson and Albin let him drive the commentary because he knew what he was doing.

To add a little color about Nick, as a poker pro, he has accumulated more than $8.3 million in live tournament earnings. Although the 35-year-old poker pro is primarily a cash game player, he has won several World Series of Poker gold bracelets and a World Poker Tour title. Oh, tomorrow is his birthday, and he'll be 36. He sure is easy on the eyes, speaking as a female.

Of course, I need not throw flowers at Jeremy Jones in the booth. We all know he's a natural. Not only is he current with his knowledge base on the players and their backgrounds, but he can foresee a play coming up and usually calls it right each and every time.

Nick Schulman's first major gig behind a mic was alongside veteran host Ali Nejad covering the 2016 $300,000 buy-in Super High Roller Bowl for CBS Sports. His mix of strategy insight and breezy banter was lauded by fans and fellow poker pros alike, with big names like Phil Galfond and Mike Sexton taking to social media to sing his praises.

View attachment 610027
MR has definitely stepped up the commentary, great post!

Reactions: JAM

mattydrva

Agreed. Nick does an excellent job as a pool commentator. I had to google his name earlier this week wondering who this smooth guy behind the mic was. Quality commentating enhances the viewing experience greatly; is refreshing to press the volume up button on a pool related broadcast.

Some of the calls Jeremy made pre shot in that Ruiz match and others were uncanny. Sometimes feels like he almost has a crystal ball in the broadcast booth with him. The viewing experience for this tournament has been excellent; looking forward to more of it today!

Reactions: JAM

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nick Schulman, who used to play pool when he was a young'n in New York City, knows the game well and its players. He is very comfortable in front of the microphone with his experience in the poker world commentating. There were no awkward moments or bad calls. There were no uh, um, or other utterances. When Albin Ouschan and Jayson Shaw were in the booth with him, Nick led the conversation, bringing up the subject matters, and it was so informative. You could see that Jayson and Albin let him drive the commentary because he knew what he was doing.

View attachment 610027
But Nick is a Yankee!

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the coverage for the US Open this year has been incredible. The streaming on DAZN has been near flawless for me. The camera angles, the commentary, the split screens and panning to other tables to get filled in on the action has all been top notch. This actually feels professional, like we are watching a more mainstream sport to me. It's all refreshing. Speaking of the commentary, I think Nick has a great voice and him and Jeremy are a fantastic duo. Unlike so many streams where commentators are talking over each other, arguing, telling nostalgic stories, they are just sticking to the action and complimenting each other nicely. They are also giving a little background on the players and history when appropriate. I've missed many of the matches, but have been able to watch more the last couple days and couldn't be more impressed with the production quality and commentary. If this were to continue, this is definitely a product I would pay a premium for if need be.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like Nick a lot. A pro commentator that can play. And JJ...not only the knowledge of a great player, he’s got a comforting voice. If everybody stopped playing pool, he could man a suicide hot line.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His poker commentary is solid too. Glad he’s doing pool as well. Lots of good things happening with this US Open. Sure everyone is complaining still-I’ve come to the conclusion that’s merely a addiction of pool people, they live to complain. That aside good things ARE happening and getting better.

Edit: JJ commentary IMO is equally good

Nice post JAM, hope your well and of course Keith

Best
Eric 😀😀

Last edited:

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt

View attachment 610027
And its really a shame and a glaring discomfort, when watching the old videos of Billy talking non stop and Danny whistling thru his false teethwhile overstating the obvious when he’s often wrong.