Nit/Locksmiths as Opposed to Smart/Shrewd Gamblers

wincardona said:
Dick, your a funny guy really,and your read on Florence is right on,perfect description.Richie was clearly a gun fighter with little management. When he made a game he was a through ticket if he lost,but he was very difficult to beat. Huge heart. I really miss Richie, he was a special person/player.

Billy, I have to say this. My time spent with Richie, win or lose, were the greatest times I ever had. We had more fun getting broke, than most guys did winning. I miss him more than just about anyone.

Dick
 
Good take !

jrhendy said:
In the 60's, Johnny Ervolino came to California and was holding court in the coffee shop at Five Points Bowl and somebody asked him why the East Coast players were coming out here. I had just beat him out of $50 playing golf on a 5 x 10 snooker table and he was steamed that a California sucker clould beat him at any pool game. His reply to the question was that he played at the 7/11 in New York & if you wanted to make some $$ in there, you better not miss a ball and then you better be tough enough to get out with the $$. In California, he says, guys like this (pointing at me) run around with $500 in their pocket and will bet it. THATS why we are in California. John Henderson

Right on John, When New Yorker's ventured out to the left coast, they could not believe that people actually gambled at pool. I think most of them were in shock, thats why we beat most of them!!!

Dick
 
SJDinPHX said:
Billy, I have to say this. My time spent with Richie, win or lose, were the greatest times I ever had. We had more fun getting broke, than most guys did winning. I miss him more than just about anyone.

Dick

In 1961 I had $20 in my pocket and a pregnant wife back home. I went to the Wonderbowl in Anaheim and had this 17 year old kid (Ritchie) stuck eighteen games for $10 a game. We finally raised it to $20, I started dogging & he beat me ten in a row. I was so disgusted and beat down I couldn't make a ball and went out and got a job filling fire extinguishers. Ritchie & I started playing again at Hard Times in Bellower in the early 90's. I told him he was the best friend I had and he never even knew it. He was the guy who made me go to work. John Henderson
 
jrhendy said:
In 1961 I had $20 in my pocket and a pregnant wife back home. I went to the Wonderbowl in Anaheim and had this 17 year old kid (Ritchie) stuck eighteen games for $10 a game. We finally raised it to $20, I started dogging & he beat me ten in a row. I was so disgusted and beat down I couldn't make a ball and went out and got a job filling fire extinguishers. Ritchie & I started playing again at Hard Times in Bellower in the early 90's. I told him he was the best friend I had and he never even knew it. He was the guy who made me go to work. John Henderson

As you well know John, when Richie was 17, he looked to be about 13; and played pool like he was 30. He almost got me once when he was like 16. Finally outsmarted him, sure as hell couldn't out-shoot him. He drove a lot of pool players to the lunch pail.

Dick
 
SJDinPHX said:
As you well know John, when Richie was 17, he looked to be about 13; and played pool like he was 30. He almost got me once when he was like 16. Finally outsmarted him, sure as hell couldn't out-shoot him. He drove a lot of pool players to the lunch pail.

Dick


Dick,
Did you by chance read the August 2004 issue of Pool & Billiard Magazine?
It has a 6 page feature article on Richie's life and some of his exploits. Like anything else Tom Shaw writes, it's great reading.

I never knew RF personally. I remember first reading about him in the old National Billiard News in the early 1970's. By then, he was venturing in to promoting pool tournaments.
 
Nobody really cares ... it's just a game and the money is a way to keep score ... It don't stink until you step in it ...:eek:
 
Terry Ardeno said:
Dick,
Did you by chance read the August 2004 issue of Pool & Billiard Magazine?
It has a 6 page feature article on Richie's life and some of his exploits. Like anything else Tom Shaw writes, it's great reading.

I never knew RF personally. I remember first reading about him in the old National Billiard News in the early 1970's. By then, he was venturing in to promoting pool tournaments.

Terry,
I know you are an avid pool historion. I missed out on most of Richie's later years. That was during my 20 yr. hiatus from pool. If you could copy that article,(if you have it) I would sure like to read it.Do you still have my address? If not PM.
Thank's Bud,
Dick
PS. By the way, Alfie Taylor lives here now ( an old friend, who held Eddie Taylor's hand as he passed)and he is good friends with Tom Shaw, so if it's not convenient for you, I'm sure I can get it through him. Thx D.
PPS. To the previous poster, Eric Wynn, you are wrong! A lot of people CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top