No problem during gambling matches but cant win during a tournament?

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
This is me exactly. I probably win 75% of the time gambling. Will usually win a couple of matches in the winners bracket, but when I get put in the losers it's pretty much over. I will play guys heads up for money and win, they have to spot me in the tourney. I have won a lot more money before the tournament begins than in the tourney. I'm actually thinking of just playing a couple of hours before the tournament, win some money and go home when it starts.

Any action in trenton?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I never did well in med to large tournaments. Too much time between matches to hit the bar. Johnnyt

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems when I do well in a tournament it just keeps on rolling. If I play well in match #1, I will play well in the second and so on.

Ive had tournaments where I know Im going to finish well just based on how things went in my first match.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been on the road for 7 months.................

Great tips guys, hopefully we can get some more insight. Maybe from a tournament player or a road player.

Hi there,

I am an old road player. In the 80's and 90's I was on the road 7 months of the year. Now I give lessons promote my video and play many of the best local players I can where ever I go. This is what I do and this is what I love doing.

In the last 7 months I've been in Vegas,Phoenix,Denver,Iowa,Wisc,Texas,Florida,Maryland,Virginia, Indiana,Chicago and I just got home.

Fargo,ND this weekend. Once it's in your blood as long as you can go you go. It's nice to be home for a minute but then I'm ready to go.

I've been busted, I've been robbed. I've won some of the biggest tournaments in the US over the years and beat some of the best players but today your only as good as you play today.

It is easier to adjust to all of these different situations of play when your playing all the time with competition but they all present a totally different mindset.

The average person does have alot of trouble adjusting but some adjust quicker than others but probably because of what they have done with pool during their life.

There is no substitute for the school of hard knocks. Like I said I live it and love it.

Have a good day Geno.............

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play with a person that had the same problem. He started coming to tournaments with only enough cash to play in the tournament and eat for the day. He left his gambling money at home. It cured his illness.