Non-Matching Collar

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some psychological counseling. I have a fancy cue as my player with a white joint. Lately I have become very happy shooting with a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft and it fits on the cue in question but the collar on the shaft is black. So they don't match. The diameters match and the height of the collar looks fine above the joint so the only problem is the black/white contrast. I'm trying to get used to this and not worry about it but my fussy nature and fondness for symmetry are keeping me from feeling good about the contrast. I started focusing on pros' cues on Accu-Stats videos and don't see many with a contrast and I haven't seen many at pool halls either. I know CF shafts don't match with most cues and I don't like this either.

Would this bother you and if not why not?

Thanks I need a pool hall psychologist for a number of issues but am trying to solve this one first.

And I don't want to pay for a custom shaft/shaft modification.

Thanks.
I'm conscious of this stuff too and it's one of the reasons I've chosen to not go with a carbon fiber shaft because I'd have to pay a competent maker to add the ringwork to match my cue. It would drive me nuts otherwise.

You have three options: 1. Live with it. Easier said than done. 2. Go back to the shaft with the matching ringwork. 3. Get the collar swapped out.

If it were me, I'd go with 3. It will not cost much at all to have the collar switched out.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
So you have the extra pool cue buyer craziness, because even if you have the shaft modified to match perfectly, it will still bother you and you'll eventually try selling the cue or shaft or both.

Just put black masking tape over it and try to enjoy

I will match the shaft collar for you for free if you get the material

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it bothers you fix it. Function and fashion matter to some people. I hated using a shaft with no collar/rings when using aftermarket shafts. Lately .. it's a REVO on whatever so it does not matter. Your cue. Your style. Your money. Your statement. Make it to your liking. Have fun and enjoy

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah well I shoot with a McDermott that I think is pretty. It has the railroad rings on it. I got a low deflection shaft that doesn't have the matching rings and it bugged me for a long time. It also keeps me from trying carbon fiber cause I think it would look bad. I really don't want to spend the money on a whole new cue.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its function first and appearance is down the line.
Or, as the architects used to say, "Form Follows Function."
I need some psychological counseling. I have a fancy cue as my player with a white joint. Lately I have become very happy shooting with a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft and it fits on the cue in question but the collar on the shaft is black. So they don't match. The diameters match and the height of the collar looks fine above the joint so the only problem is the black/white contrast. I'm trying to get used to this and not worry about it but my fussy nature and fondness for symmetry are keeping me from feeling good about the contrast. I started focusing on pros' cues on Accu-Stats videos and don't see many with a contrast and I haven't seen many at pool halls either. I know CF shafts don't match with most cues and I don't like this either.

Would this bother you and if not why not?

Thanks I need a pool hall psychologist for a number of issues but am trying to solve this one first.

And I don't want to pay for a custom shaft/shaft modification.

Thanks.
OK, I'm gonna help you.

When I was a kid, the first set of irons I had were slightly mismatched, different grips, different shafts, different swing weights. I loved those clubs, so I never even thought about the differences, I just hit the ball. Sometime is the Nighties, I got a set of Hogan Apex irons. They were perfect. Beautiful to look at, freq. matched shafts, Lamkin Crosslines, perfect swing weight for me, perfect stiff shafts. The second time I played them, I shot 68. Nirvana on steroids. Yes, they just loved making money.

One fateful day, the 7-iron got up and walked away from the bag. I had suspicions, but most of the members were gentlemen, so I finally let it go and ordered a replacement from Hogan. Well, the grip wasn't worn, the swing weight was an RCH off, and the head was all shiny and bright. So, I stuck it in the bag and went out to play. Number 6 was a par-3 over water. I look down at that blinking new 7-iron and thought, "oh shit!"
I caught it a little plump, it hit about 5 feet in front of the green, and rolled right back into the w-w-w-w-water. Well, we played birdies, greenies, sandies, plus the regular Nassau (and some Yo Momma side bets). I lost money on that hole. Losing money is one of those things in life that I don't approve of. 16 was a long par-4. I had 160 yds. in. I snatched out the 7-iron and smoothed it...it took off like a freakin' knuckle ball. I never hit that 7-iron again. The problem, of course, was that I immediately had to make adjustments. Either hit the 8-iron a little harder, or hit the 6-iron a little softer, you get the picture. I sold the irons. Here's the point. That muthapukking 7- iron got to my brain and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get it out.

That joint collar is in your head. It will always be in your head. Solution? Ditch the mismatch and find a perfect "forever" stick and treat it with the love and respect it deserves. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. One of these days, you'll thank me.

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Find someone who will lathe a shallow groove in the shaft collar and paint in the butt's color. Lastly clear it over to seal it.
Everything you like about the butt/shaft combination stays the same and your mind is happy again.

WobblyStroke

Ye u have 3 options.
1. Get over it...function over appearance
2. Ge itmatched up right by a cue maker..
3. DIY matchup as a happy medium between doing nothing and gettint a pro to do it right for u.

I went with option 2 as smth in me just NEEDED my shaft collar to have the same silver ring in itas the butt. But that was quite a while ago....now Im sporting a tacky lookingfat Earl wrap on the butt so clearly my need for aesthetics has atrophied over the years

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I returned the Revo...definitely looked odd but also kind of cool.
Screenshot_20221207-100313.jpg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, as the architects used to say, "Form Follows Function."

OK, I'm gonna help you.

When I was a kid, the first set of irons I had were slightly mismatched, different grips, different shafts, different swing weights. I loved those clubs, so I never even thought about the differences, I just hit the ball. Sometime is the Nighties, I got a set of Hogan Apex irons. They were perfect. Beautiful to look at, freq. matched shafts, Lamkin Crosslines, perfect swing weight for me, perfect stiff shafts. The second time I played them, I shot 68. Nirvana on steroids. Yes, they just loved making money.

One fateful day, the 7-iron got up and walked away from the bag. I had suspicions, but most of the members were gentlemen, so I finally let it go and ordered a replacement from Hogan. Well, the grip wasn't worn, the swing weight was an RCH off, and the head was all shiny and bright. So, I stuck it in the bag and went out to play. Number 6 was a par-3 over water. I look down at that blinking new 7-iron and thought, "oh shit!"
I caught it a little plump, it hit about 5 feet in front of the green, and rolled right back into the w-w-w-w-water. Well, we played birdies, greenies, sandies, plus the regular Nassau (and some Yo Momma side bets). I lost money on that hole. Losing money is one of those things in life that I don't approve of. 16 was a long par-4. I had 160 yds. in. I snatched out the 7-iron and smoothed it...it took off like a freakin' knuckle ball. I never hit that 7-iron again. The problem, of course, was that I immediately had to make adjustments. Either hit the 8-iron a little harder, or hit the 6-iron a little softer, you get the picture. I sold the irons. Here's the point. That muthapukking 7- iron got to my brain and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get it out.

That joint collar is in your head. It will always be in your head. Solution? Ditch the mismatch and find a perfect "forever" stick and treat it with the love and respect it deserves. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. One of these days, you'll thank me.
Or... you could have taken that new 7 iron to the driving range and hit the crap out of it for a couple of hours. Didn't think about that one, DID you?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7D448E1C-DB56-45EE-9CB5-0A77B1EA2D26.jpeg

These are nice

However I don’t give a rats ass what I’m playing with. If it plays good-I’m good.

Function over form for a tool I’m using to play pool with. Collectibles are a different topic.

Being able to distinguish between them isn’t difficult

Best
Fatboy

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking at the joint while shooting, you are doing it wrong ;)

Any other time not in the middle of a shot should not be distracting. I have pretty much all of my shaft collars be plain black, and with a narrow ring when possible, that way they look fine with just about any cue as far as matching them goes.