OB Classic Plus Ferrule

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Ferrule changes

one of the first things I do with a new shaft with an unknown ferrule is switch it to a micarta ferrule. cue components has some great micarta right now. I don't play with production LD shafts so I'm not sure what the process would entail...does OB pre tap their melamine ferrules? seems like a very small flaw that can be fixed for the cost of a ferrule. no biggie

Your suggestion might be the answer to a good ferrule , but it would void the warranty on the shaft ....

If its not a Ferrule designed for and approved by OB then it will void the warranty..........
Same goes for replacing the tip and not have a carbon fiber pad under the tip...

Any work On a OB should be done by a authorized OB cue repairman or the OB factory themselves.

There seems to be allot of things that when it comes down to the ferrule and joint that some changes will void the warranty on the shaft .

RBC

Deceased
Your suggestion might be the answer to a good ferrule , but it would void the warranty on the shaft ....

If its not a Ferrule designed for and approved by OB then it will void the warranty..........
Same goes for replacing the tip and not have a carbon fiber pad under the tip...

Any work On a OB should be done by a authorized OB cue repairman or the OB factory themselves.

There seems to be allot of things that when it comes down to the ferrule and joint that some changes will void the warranty on the shaft .

Mike makes some good points, but I would like to add some clarifications.

OB shafts are high performance products. Just like a high performance car, repairs or modifications should be done properly to maintain the performance and quality of the product.

We use technology and design to attain the level of performance in our products, and modifying that will most certainly change the way the product will perform. And, it could also either contribute to or completely cause a failure of the product.

For example, our OB-1+ and OB-2+ come with a laminated wood ferrule and a Carbon Fiber pad between the ferrule and the tip. The Carbon Pad is an important part of the package and should not be removed. They can be replaced if need be, but should only be replaced with another Carbon Fiber pad.The pad is a structural component, and removal of it can lead to a failure of the ferrule, which would obviously not be a matter for warranty. Removing the pad would not "void" the warranty on the shaft, but any failure that was caused by removing the pad would obviously not be covered.

We certainly recommend that you keep your OB product equipped as it was designed. Ferrule materials, pads etc. are all there for a reason.

I hope that helps.

Royce

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brand new classic plus ferrule cracked

I got a brand new OB Classic + yesterday in the mail from JJ cue and the ferrule has a crack you can feel with your finger and see with your eye along the entire 3/8" . Is this normal? I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a picture. I had been on the fence on getting one of these shafts for quite some time. So I was kind of let down when I got it and found it cracked out the wrapper.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Classic

That shaft suffers from a serious case of DontKnowHowToUseACubeOfChalk syndrome.

I was going to say something about that, that shaft will be junk soon.
Haven't laughed that hard for awhile .

NEED TO CUT THE TOP OF THE CHALK DOWN ,ANYTHING TOUCHING THE FERRULE OR SHAFT IS ALWAYS BAD.........................................

RBC

Deceased

There is a picture. I had been on the fence on getting one of these shafts for quite some time. So I was kind of let down when I got it and found it cracked out the wrapper.

Kel 82

That sure looks like a crack!

You need to send it to us so we can fix it for you.

Just go to our website, and follow the instructions under the warranty section. If you just bought it, give us a call at 877-399-9901, and we can help with the process.

I don't think we've seen one of the new LBM ferrules cracked yet. We do expect it, but certainly not on a new shaft. Odds are that it was a material flaw, but it could have been too tight a fit as well. Either way it's an easy fix and we can get you fixed up like it should have been from the start. Sorry for the trouble.

Royce

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, it is a very nice hitting shaft. I would say it hits very similar to my Joss shafts, and they are 12.4 mm. Which is where I like em'. (Finger size)

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kel 82

That sure looks like a crack!

You need to send it to us so we can fix it for you.

Just go to our website, and follow the instructions under the warranty section. If you just bought it, give us a call at 877-399-9901, and we can help with the process.

I don't think we've seen one of the new LBM ferrules cracked yet. We do expect it, but certainly not on a new shaft. Odds are that it was a material flaw, but it could have been too tight a fit as well. Either way it's an easy fix and we can get you fixed up like it should have been from the start. Sorry for the trouble.

Royce

I have a question, will I have to pay for shipping and insurance? This a brand new shaft and arrived that way. I already payed a pretty penny for it. Paying for shipping, and insurance is going to add to the price. For what I payed for it I kind of expected it not to be cracked on arrival.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand what the deal is.
The ferrule is a little dirty??????
That's what this post is about?
I have many many pool cues each and every one of them had a dirty ferrule....less of course I don't use them.
I also have a new OB + Classic that has some chalk on its ferrule.....but so what?
It has no effect on my game.
These things are supposed to be used.

Here's my OB + Classic......and I'm NOT even a LD guy.

This picture says a lot too...

I don't understand what the deal is.
The ferrule is a little dirty??????
That's what this post is about?
I have many many pool cues each and every one of them had a dirty ferrule....less of course I don't use them.
I also have a new OB + Classic that has some chalk on its ferrule.....but so what?
It has no effect on my game.
These things are supposed to be used.

Here's my OB + Classic......and I'm NOT even a LD guy.

I hope you are joking.

The problem is that chalk is highly abrasive. The blue ring of shame that you have on your shaft is not on the ferrule--which would be bad enough. Even with your mediocre photo, one can see that there is a reduction of diameter in the shaft at that blue ring.

At least a ferrule can be replaced.

It may not affect your game, but it does bother some people and renders the shaft worthless in the secondary market.

As a final thought, it probably does affect your playing. You are chalking like a little kid picking his nose--just jamming that thing in the hole and spinning it around a bit. If you learn to brush the chalk on, you will have better and more consistent coverage.

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine two are the same but they play lights out only cosmetic!!!! Wish they wouldn't put everest tips on them what a waste never hit a ball with it and was cut immediately off what a waste.

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talked to Shane this morning, they are going to take care me of no problem.

Very painless phone call. :)