OB pro plus vs G core

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys I've searched and haven't found a comparison forum and I know 90% of you will say go with OB but I love mc d and that's all I know. I play with just a standard maple 13mm with kamui black soft. My question is I was planning on getting the g core and having it turned down to 11.75 and have a kamui soft put on with a total price of $160 or I can get the OB pro plus that is already turned down to 11.75 and I test hit one last night which felt amazing for $220. How does the g core vs OB pro plus compare? I play with a lot of english. I love seeing that cue ball zip around lol

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider also the McDermott I-3. It is already 11.75mm from the factory, and it is a lower squirt shaft than the G-series, if that is what you are after.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider also the McDermott I-3. It is already 11.75mm from the factory, and it is a lower squirt shaft than the G-series, if that is what you are after.

FWIW, I hit with a G Core shaft and hated it. Very mushy feel, IMHO. It could have been just that particular shaft, of course, but that's all I know from personal experience. I play mostly with McDermotts too, and just keep coming back to them. The same D19 and D4 I've owned forever, and nothing else at any price seems to have a better feel and hit for my own preferences.

If you like how your McDermott is playing now, stay away from the G Core shaft and at least try an I shaft instead (I3 as was mentioned, for your tastes). I haven't personally tried an I shaft yet, but everything I've read would indicate it's much closer to a traditional feel than the G core.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking at the I3 the only thing I was worried about was conical/ European taper which I don't like, they do not offer the i3 in a pro taper option?

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
Without the conical taper you're looking at an I-2 I believe. I've always wanted to try an I-3 after enjoying my snooker cue as much as I do- hopefully I can find one!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking at the I3 the only thing I was worried about was conical/ European taper which I don't like, they do not offer the i3 in a pro taper option?

I played with an I-3 for a year, and also a Predator Z for a year (I've since settled on the 314). Anyway, both of those shafts are advertised as a conical taper. But when playing with them, they felt pretty natural in my hands. I didn't have to make any weird bridge adjustments, compared to a regular "pro taper" shaft.

In contrast, I've tried a few 3 cushion shafts over the years at my local room. Those shafts felt crazy in my bridge! As soon as you stroke, they open up the bridge fingers like crazy. The I-3 and the Z are nothing like them! IMO, of course:)

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just buy a new OB for around $165 new and already to go.

Ask for the AZBilliards or APA discount....

A G-Core shaft is not low deflection.....

Last edited:

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to find and OB pro plus for 165 but every site starting price is 220 and up and what is g core shaft purpose if it isn't meant for low deflection?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to find and OB pro plus for 165 but every site starting price is 220 and up and what is g core shaft purpose if it isn't meant for low deflection?

:wink:

All you have to do is send an email to a seller or dealer and get the discount.

If a shaft is selling on Ebay for $220, Ebay gets $22, Paypal gets $7.

That's $29 dollars that the seller does not get. So now the price is close to $190.

The price wars between Predator and OB...with the MAP price being lowered,

you can get a shaft a lot cheaper now.

And the dealers from a few years ago who were paying a lot for the shafts and still

have some left are screwed because of the low prices of today.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a Gcore 12.5" and love it. But I agree, I-2 and I-3 are better comparison for OB shafts, at least in the way they are marketed.

Try them out, is the only way you can justify the extra $. In my opinion they are both great and can't go wrong with either.

Just in case, yes I shoot max spin with confidence with my Gcore 12.5" Kamui medium.

Hope this helps!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with a few others here --- I play with both the OB-2+ and the McDermott i-3 shafts (both with the same Kamui clear black super soft tip) depending on whether I'm playing in the league or at home. They both play beautifully and feel natural with the taper they each have. Difficult to tell them apart once playing for a few minutes.

Get whichever you think is best for you as long as the fit and feel for your cue are a match. If you have a great local dealer like we have here in Fort Worth, take your cue down and test hit and play a set with each one for the final decision. If a tad crazy, get them both.
😁

Last edited:

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys I'm going to test hit the g core and decide between all three (gore, OB pro plus, and i3)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
FWIW, I hit with a G Core shaft and hated it. Very mushy feel, IMHO. It could have been just that particular shaft, of course, but that's all I know from personal experience. I play mostly with McDermotts too, and just keep coming back to them. The same D19 and D4 I've owned forever, and nothing else at any price seems to have a better feel and hit for my own preferences.

If you like how your McDermott is playing now, stay away from the G Core shaft and at least try an I shaft instead (I3 as was mentioned, for your tastes). I haven't personally tried an I shaft yet, but everything I've read would indicate it's much closer to a traditional feel than the G core.

I could not disagree with you more. I also have a D 19 (D 11 also) with a G-Core that is my daily player. When I bought this cue I did not intend it to be my player, just a spare that I wanted to keep nice since I had McDermott refinish it and build a G-Core for it. It turned out that this combo hits so nice that it would be a sin not to use it everyday. The odd thing is that when I put this same G-Core shaft on my D 11 it does not hit the same.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Just buy a new OB for around $165 new and already to go.

Ask for the AZBilliards or APA discount....

A G-Core shaft is not low deflection.....

I thought a low deflection shaft definition was decreased end mass? It is hollow for first 6" and it has a shorter ferule on it. Compared to my Maple shafts, especially my Schon it is a low deflection shaft.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

This ^^^^^
I realize that this is purely subjective, everyone has different tastes, likes, preferences, etc... you might love the G Core. I hated it, thought it was horrible. I didn't like the way it felt or hit, tried about 5 or 6 different tips, just never cared for it one little bit. When I had the chance to talk to a McD staff player he told me that the GCore was like the cross-over shaft, in between maple and LD type shafts. Hence, the GCore is not an LD shaft, but a high performance shaft, so if you haven't regularly played with an LD shaft the GCore might work out great for you. Something else you might consider is an S-Tuned Z2. If you're unfamiliar with that it's a Z2 with a long Pro Taper made by Predator and sold by Seyberts. Personally, I have been a Predator guy for years and in the last year I finally tried the I-3, I think it's great. I can use it pretty seamlessly with the Predator shafts. The OB Pro plus to me is a hit similar to but not quite the Z3. Other than the GCore I like all the shafts that I've mentioned and I would include the original Z, I suspect your experience will be different. Good luck

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also play with a G-Core shaft...mine is 11.75 with a great LePro tip on it. Love the way it plays...for me. I also play with a Tiger Pro X shaft. To me both shafts have similar playing characteristics. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I have a Gcore 12.5" and love it. But I agree, I-2 and I-3 are better comparison for OB shafts, at least in the way they are marketed.

Try them out, is the only way you can justify the extra $. In my opinion they are both great and can't go wrong with either.

Just in case, yes I shoot max spin with confidence with my Gcore 12.5" Kamui medium.

Hope this helps!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not disagree with you more. I also have a D 19 (D 11 also) with a G-Core that is my daily player. When I bought this cue I did not intend it to be my player, just a spare that I wanted to keep nice since I had McDermott refinish it and build a G-Core for it. It turned out that this combo hits so nice that it would be a sin not to use it everyday. The odd thing is that when I put this same G-Core shaft on my D 11 it does not hit the same.

My particular D19 hits very differently than a lot of other D series cues as well. Maybe it's all the Ebony...I don't know. Back then I think they were still being spliced, so there might be a good deal of ebony in there. All I know is that I recently switched back to my original D4 because that just has a magical feel to it. The D19 is wonderful too, but it's nowhere near as lively. I'm not surprised that other models have a different feel with the same shaft. Don't you find the hit with the GCore to be a little dull compared to a standard maple shaft, or maybe you like a softer hit like many do? Just curious how you compare it to a traditional maple shaft.

Personally, I think I'm about done with decorated cues. My next will be just like the D4...simple figured maple butt, maybe a leather wrap (maybe no wrap), and that's it. All the best hitting cues I've ever tried are simple and have very few decorative elements. I'm probably just fooling myself, but I'll go down this rabbit hole for a few years and see where I end up. :)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I have an I-3 and tried a couple of I-2's. Not my taste. Ditto for original OB1. The new ones feel better but I still won't give up my 6- Original pre-cat Pred's.