OB tip install maryland

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the Columbia area and am wondering where some quality places in Maryland to get a tip installed on an OB shaft quickly, cheaply, and with quality? I've seen videos of places sanding the ferrule and shuddered. It also seems like a little more care is required for OB-2 tip install with respect to the carbon pad ( http://www.obcues.com/retipping.html ).

How long do most places take? How much does it usually cost (only tip cut, carbon intact, placing a tip I supply, and shaving down, no shaping)?

I would do the shaping myself with a willard and also supply the tip (this forum has made me itching to try a milk dud and mueller's dudleys are so cheap! but their hardness rating is a little lower than i'd like).

I've heard tons of things about consistency and whatnot from one piece tips from tip to tip. Do Mueller's make dudleys out of every tip or do they go through a testing process and give you only good tips? If I buy 3 from them, will they all be good or should I buy a 20, which I'm sure I'd never use in my lifetime. Lastly, with a milk dud, is burnishing necessary and easy to do like regular tips with a dollar bill?

Also, anyone try making a nickel shape out of a willard dime shaper?

Last edited:

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyz86 said:
I'm in the Columbia area and am wondering where some quality places in Maryland to get a tip installed on an OB shaft quickly, cheaply, and with quality? I've seen videos of places sanding the ferrule and shuddered. It also seems like a little more care is required for OB-2 tip install with respect to the carbon pad ( http://www.obcues.com/retipping.html ).

How long do most places take? How much does it usually cost (only tip cut, carbon intact, placing a tip I supply, and shaving down, no shaping)?

I would do the shaping myself with a willard and also supply the tip (this forum has made me itching to try a milk dud and mueller's dudleys are so cheap! but their hardness rating is a little lower than i'd like).

I've heard tons of things about consistency and whatnot from one piece tips from tip to tip. Do Mueller's make dudleys out of every tip or do they go through a testing process and give you only good tips? If I buy 3 from them, will they all be good or should I buy a 20, which I'm sure I'd never use in my lifetime. Lastly, with a milk dud, is burnishing necessary and easy to do like regular tips with a dollar bill?

Charlie's Pro Shop, or something like that, in Dundalk Md. Charlie definitely has the experience and is reasonable in cost.

Mike Capone, a custom cuemaker in Poolesville MD, definitely can do the job also.

Also near you is Phillippe Custom Cues.

I think their labor is around $10 per tip.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you come to charlies pro shop located inside the new green room in dundalk you won't be dissapointed. We have a big tourney there tomorrow and I have some duds from meullars I can give you. They are not hard enough in my opinion, I use a compresed hercules. I can also make one for you in a few days and charlie will put it on. Let me know.

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cookie man said:
If you come to charlies pro shop located inside the new green room in dundalk you won't be dissapointed. We have a big tourney there tomorrow and I have some duds from meullars I can give you. They are not hard enough in my opinion, I use a compresed hercules. I can also make one for you in a few days and charlie will put it on. Let me know.

Thank you for the offer, I already ordered those dudleys though but will try yours out sometime perhaps. What tournament is where tomorrow? by the pro shop? Unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow, and it is 45+Traffic minutes without to avoid a toll and through the busy city.

whitewolf said:
Charlie's Pro Shop, or something like that, in Dundalk Md. Charlie definitely has the experience and is reasonable in cost.

Mike Capone, a custom cuemaker in Poolesville MD, definitely can do the job also.

Also near you is Phillippe Custom Cues.

I think their labor is around $10 per tip.

Phillippi Custom Cues is a little better, i will check them out. Any other suggestions?

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Frey is close to you.

I am in Hampstead, another 35 minutes north. I can do it for you too..

Last edited:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
desmocourtney said:
Bob Frey is close to you.

I am in Hampstead, another 35 minutes north. I can do it for you too..

Awesome, after a bit of digging I've found his place in Catonsville, like 20 minutes away. I've heard good things about him, too. Thank you!

does anyone have an opinion of a milk dud on a low deflection shaft? i wanted a harder tip but i've discovered the dudley ones i've got coming are only medium

Last edited: