OK lets start some trouble LOL (Diamond System)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't play much on pool tables but I've only experience one Brand that banked to the Corner 5 System. That would be the old Vitalie.
Haven't yet tried a Diamond with clean cloth and balls. Don't expect to find that situation either. Unfortunately.

With most pool tables, banking from the corner pocket, you have to hit the 2nd diamond. Then of course the CB goes to the 3rd diamond. From there it lands in the other corner pocket.

Totally Wrong according to the Corner 5 System.
The corner5 works on a pool table
If you aim at 2 you go to 3 coming from 5
Just like the system says
Whats different is the track to the corner being 30 not 20
If you base 30 as the corner track the rest works pretty well

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, the tables I've tried go corner to 2 -3 to corner as promised. I use mostly spin to take the ball around. There is one Tube of You as Flakeandrun puts it that shows some girl _ I think it was a Mcdermal tip bit_ where she actually shoots into 3 to get the ball to the corner coming off 2.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What table was the Diamond system of calculating banks was first designed for, a billiards table using no pockets, or a pocket pool table? And you didn't mention anything about the cloth comparison, why not?
How come snooker tables don't use the Diamond system? Banks are still performed on snooker tables, aren't they?
i agree with you the cloth and heated table plays a roll in how the balls travel
the table the diamond system was developed on really is not important for this discussion
a pool table is rectangular too and the systems tend to transfer from one table to the other
why snooker tables dont have "sights" you would have to ask the snooker developers
what i did find interesting is they do have systems using where certain colored balls are spotted and aiming at certain places on the rails
barry starks has this video on "the geometry of the table"
bob jewett said in a thread "when Barry says "billiards" he means the 3-ball game on the snooker table and not the "billiards" that has no pockets."
here is the video
barry starks showing some "systems"

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
whether you use the systems to your advantage or not is a personal decision
for me they are usefull if they are not usefull for you thats ok...;)
"to each their own"

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Corner5 is how I was taught to quickly judge how a pool table is banking. It is amazing the difference between tables or even the same table over different days (due to weather and humidity, if the pool room door is open, etc).

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corner5 is how I was taught to quickly judge how a pool table is banking. It is amazing the difference between tables or even the same table over different days (due to weather and humidity, if the pool room door is open, etc).
And I play on a table that is a diamond shorter going clockwise vs. counterclockwise. :eek:

Diamond systems are a useful guide. You have to apply corrections for any system on each table. Those corrections are usually by feel.

I remember one table I played on in a major eight ball tournament. I had to hit a ball about half a diamond up the side rail from the pocket by a corner-five pattern. I knew the table played quite long, even by carom standards, I aimed extra short and the cue ball still came in so long it hit the end rail and then the ball. People clapped.

Last edited:

jbart65

Interesting if idiosyncratic thread. Guess I missed (thankfully) the AZB Holy Wars over the word "feel."

I am a relatively newbie. Had a table from age 6 to 20, then didn't play regularly for 35 years. Got back into the game 2 1/2 years ago.

As it turns out, I spent lots of time in 2023 learning the major Diamond systems. Got those Kamui Diamond slicers on my table and practiced a number of Tory Lowry drills on kicking and banking.

Why? Why spend so much time on that part of the game instead of more basic stuff? For one thing, math. It seemed pretty simple.

I also wanted to get good at kicking quickly so as not to give up ball in hand to better, more seasoned players at my pool hall.

What I have found? They work. I've played on half dozen to a dozen different tables and they work. I am pretty good at not giving up ball in hand.

Now, all the caveats mentioned in this thread by far more experienced players apply. (Every table is different etc). But I can size up a table pretty quick.

Does "feel" come into it? Of course.
Sometimes I just look at a shot now, and I can tell the math alone won't get me to where I want the ball to go.

Maybe I need a touch of sidespin. Perhaps a slower shot to widen the angle. Or a harder shot to narrow the angle. And what about when the OB is close to the rail?

I learned these variables by practicing and playing enough.

Nowadays I often do kicking and banking drills in which I purposely do not use the Diamond systems. I am trying to go by feel instinct now that I have more experience gained from Diamond systems.

That said, I still will sometimes "do the math" when playing vs opponents. Just to make sure my "feel" is in the ballpark.

I remember a video in which Jennifer Barretta said: "Everybody always says, "I kick by feel.' That's okay. You kick by feel. I am going to kick with accuracy."

Even the best pros in the world use systems on occasion. I saw Fedor Gorst visually do it several times during the World Pool Masters.

Sometimes I see pros miss badly on kick shots - and I know they are going to miss based on where they aim. I visualize where I think they should hit, and they hit somewhere else. When that happens, I wonder if they are going entirely by feel.

Naturally I would love to get good enough that I never need to use systems or Diamonds. I would just know instinctively where to hit.

But the Diamonds are a roadmap. I am not always going to drive around trying to find my way without a map.

If I feel a bit lost, or I just want to be sure, sometimes I'll just pull out the damn map to give me a little help.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legit question. Does 5 to 1 go to 4/side pocket?

To your later comment to the Cobra,
In the old days on a Carom table when the head spots were 6" apart, you could count them as 2-1/2 for outside spot, 3 for the center spot, and 3-1/2 for the other outside spot. The center spot hasn't changed so still 3rd diamond position for a corner CB position.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Legit question. Does 5 to 1 go to 4/side pocket?

To your later comment to the Cobra,
In the old days on a Carom table when the head spots were 6" apart, you could count them as 2-1/2 for outside spot, 3 for the center spot, and 3-1/2 for the other outside spot. The center spot hasn't changed so still 3rd diamond position for a corner CB position.
to answer your question
thats where the cue ball goes short
from the corner aiming at 1 you need no spin to pocket a ball in the side pocket
you probably already knew that and thats why you asked
as discussed above
a pool table is not a billiard table so i am sure you will find situations where you cant get the same results or you reach the limits of the system
but the general concepts apply in many situations
if you want to discuss specifics
PM me

Last edited: