old school drills?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mike Sigel over on FleeceBunk, Irving Crane used to practice the L without touching a rail. 15 balls.

wow, I've been playing with that drill over the past few months, using rails is challenging enough..
I can't imagine executing it without touching a rail..you'd have to get kind of perfect on every ball ?

Monti

A drill I used to practice a lot is to just freeze 6 balls along one of the long rails at each diamond. Take bih in middle of table somewhere by side pocket. Run the three balls on one end of table before doing the same to the other end.
Shoot the ball closest to corner pocket running CB 3 rails for position on the ball on the second diamond from the hole and then the third bringing CB around for position on ball closest to corner pocket on other end. Then run the last 3 the same way. A miss and you must start over.
When you get good at that then set them up the same way but after making each ball you must run the CB across to other long rail and back out without going to short rail, just across the table and back out for position.
Teaches you how to get around the rails on a lot of shots you run into. Add some straight up and down the table CB drills after side pocket shots and you’ve covered a lot
Agree that 1 and 2 rail are more predominant. But 3 rail position shots do come up regularly and are often the simpler and safer way when going from extremes on the table ?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wow, I've been playing with that drill over the past few months, using rails is challenging enough..
I can't imagine executing it without touching a rail..you'd have to get kind of perfect on every ball ?

Try fewer balls and a little wider spacing to get started then as you have some success add more balls. Three would be about the right number for me to start with!

General discussion: I worked the L drill using the rails a bit. I think one rail helps with speed control and has as much or more value than no rail, just my opinion. I also did the half circle and full circle drills and there was one where the balls were set up in a filled rectangle. Best I remember the balls were about six inches apart, up and down table and across the table. You couldn't touch a rail or another ball.

In truth, I hated drills and rarely did them. No patience for them.

Hu

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been getting back into playing. Started with the L, Drawline and climbing the ladder. These are all fine but I find playing the ghost has elevated my game the most. Add in if I miss I spot the shot with paper aholes and practice it till I make it 10 times in a row.

I really miss the days I could get down on a shot. What we need is one of those doctor types tell us some good stretching techniques that allow you look down a cue when you get older.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find with line drills, even once you have the mechanics of ball control down, you still need to set in your minds eye, the precise angles and landing points for each ball. Not doing so will result in the half assed runs you see in youtube demos. You know, they're like, "Here I use a touch of draw and here I need to go two rails with inside to kill the speed from this angle...
So yes. You need to be perfect. The good news is doing them correctly is far from impossible. It's like playing even toned scales on a musical instrument.
The most common rail-less line run is with draw. No english; just pulling the ball back into position with the natural angles. It's a thing to behold when done properly.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert organized an "LA Expo" in 2001, with vendors, tournaments for league players, and an invitational 8-ball event organized by Accu-Stats. (Accu-Stats had no eight ball videos and was getting requests for them.) One of the six players invited to the round-robin was Efren.

One morning I wandered by the Accu-Stats arena and there was Efren, alone, doing what you described -- setting up clusters to work through and landing on each cluster just right. I watched for about half an hour. With all those pool players at the venue, I was the only person watching the GOAT demonstrate his practice method for free.

But this particular drill requires tools most players don't have. Also, I wouldn't call it old school as I had never heard of it before.

This reminds me of a drill or prop bet or exhibition demo that Ralph Greenleaf was said to have played. Put three balls out randomly on the table. Put a coin out as well. Run the three balls leaving the cue ball on (near?) the coin at the end.

I like a similar drill, but there is only one ball and the cue ball is in hand. Go to the coin after pocketing the ball in each of six pockets.
Bob, you’ve always been the studious type. I can picture you now, standing calmly in place, arms folded with that little half smile on your face, watching carefully and learning something new. If I ever saw you in that pose that was enough for me to also stop and pay attention. Thanks!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren was the first guy I ever saw practice the 15 ball ghost. He would throw all fifteen balls all over the table and take BIH. I’m guessing he ran out about one in three tries. I saw him do two in a row a couple of times. Damn him!

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren was the first guy I ever saw practice the 15 ball ghost. He would throw all fifteen balls all over the table and take BIH. I’m guessing he ran out about one in three tries. I saw him do two in a row a couple of times. Damn him!

Efren has also been known to play three cushion on a pool table to warm up. He is a tough act for a mere mortal to follow!

Hu

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So yes. You need to be perfect. The good news is doing them correctly is far from impossible. It's like playing even toned scales on a musical instrument.
The most common rail-less line run is with draw. No english; just pulling the ball back into position with the natural angles. It's a thing to behold when done properly.

honestly, if there was only one way to do it that would make things easier:LOL:
not as fun tho..and I did recently figure something out that helped me execute the wagon wheel wayy more often
I know if I keep doing the L drill I'll keep learning, because it's difficult for me

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That seems incredibly difficult and I’m astonished by the masterful cue ball speed control that’s needed.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
not as fun tho..and I did recently figure something out that helped me execute the wagon wheel wayy more often
I know if I keep doing the L drill I'll keep learning, because it's difficult for me

I genuinely don't know the answer but with any drill you need to consider bang for the buck, or to be more exact, time. What is each drill you are doing going to do for your game?

Looking at players of today I would say their biggest issue on this equipment is speed control so I would focus on drills that benefit that. I also know that players tend not to hit the cue ball precisely. I think it is Bert Kinester's Mighty X that is excellent for that. It was up on youtube for a long time, probably still is. Bert has some great videos, some not so great ones. I know the question has been asked on here a time or three before so finding out his most valuable ones shouldn't be too hard. I like corner to corner and then drawing the cue ball back for an accuracy drill.

Search Joe Tucker too. He has some excellent drills. One that might pay for itself is putting the cue ball on the head spot, any other ball on the foot spot. Now put some paper money at the center diamond of the head rail.

All you have to do is hit the object ball with a stop shot. Drive it to the foot rail and back to the cue ball. The cue ball should roll to the head rail and cross over the money. Calling where the cue ball is going to stop is a good variation. Might be video of this online, I don't know. When you can do it three times out of four including the speed variation I would move on to pattern play and the mental game, you have the raw accuracy to get to 700-750 Fargo at a guess.

Hu

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like line up drill. Best to get in zone. I nowadays do it in left to right and back.
That is my record run in order. 317 balls without ball in hand when spot balls back on table.
Here is how to setup balls fast and same way every time.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friend of mine who used to hang out at Hard Times Bellflower told me he saw Efren string 7 racks of 15 ball rotation. I presumed from the break but now I'm not so sure.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even simple drills can require preparatory drills. You may find a pattern of common errors in your wagonwheel practice. These errors become the work. In your play you may miss certain shots the same way every time. I used to tell myself "at least I'm consistent". Same solution: break it down and fix it.

more drill:
Shoot ducks. Work with set angles and absorb how the complete shot actually goes. This has to be methodical because ultimately you want to cover the complete range of any particular angle. Don't forget the opposite direction.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Straightline, anything is possible with Efren! Your friend may be half right though. Efren would break and then take ball in hand. He did do that many times.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I genuinely don't know the answer but with any drill you need to consider bang for the buck, or to be more exact, time. What is each drill you are doing going to do for your game?

lately I haven't been able to play much, maybe a handful of hours a week- good cos I'm doing other cool stuff, but not the best for pool :)
typically I'm like you, not a drill guy- but I've focused on a handful of them over the years, ones that I somehow (mostly) enjoyed for one reason or another
the L drill kind of fascinates me because like many other pool things, it strikes me as a puzzle- one with several keys- but I want to find the key(s) that work best
failing to execute is one thing, and can be puzzling itself- but at this point, I'm more interested in mastering, at least in my mind, aim, speed, and spin
so that's the bang for me- not necessarily keeping score, winning, running racks, etc.- I just want to know what's happening on the table.

One that might pay for itself is putting the cue ball on the head spot, any other ball on the foot spot. Now put some paper money at the center diamond of the head rail.

All you have to do is hit the object ball with a stop shot. Drive it to the foot rail and back to the cue ball. The cue ball should roll to the head rail and cross over the money. Calling where the cue ball is going to stop is a good variation.

this sounds fun..will try!

You may find a pattern of common errors in your wagonwheel practice.

the biggest thing preventing me from getting around the wheel was not aiming for a certain part of the pocket- once I started doing that, my % went up a good piece

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...the biggest thing preventing me from getting around the wheel was not aiming for a certain part of the pocket- once I started doing that, my % went up a good piece
Good that you're finding solutions. Ideally you would keep going until your control sense encompasses the entire range and this is per any object ball line. Granted sometimes you're just plain out of line and you have to find wiggle room in the other direction. Nothing else you _can_ do. I would consider this a different angle and shot entirely but same thing.