Older Meucci?

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During league last night, one of the fellows is selling an older Meucci.
He thinks it was made in the early 80's and has been in his possession for many years. It's been a player and is in darn good condition.
In looking through the cue archives (thanks cuenut) it closely resembles an 84-5 or a 95-11 has ivory inlays and has one of their coated wraps. My phone was dead or I would have taken some pictures.
I am interested in this cue and gonna meet him tonight to make a deal.
Any help with an idea of what it's worth would be appreciated.
He's an old guy and doesn't really know the value, nor do I and I'd hate to overpay or take advantage of him.
Also what should I look for to make sure it is not fake?
TIA
Tim

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During league last night, one of the fellows is selling an older Meucci.
He thinks it was made in the early 80's and has been in his possession for many years. It's been a player and is in darn good condition.
In looking through the cue archives (thanks cuenut) it closely resembles an 84-5 or a 95-11 has ivory inlays and has one of their coated wraps. My phone was dead or I would have taken some pictures.
I am interested in this cue and gonna meet him tonight to make a deal.
Any help with an idea of what it's worth would be appreciated.
He's an old guy and doesn't really know the value, nor do I and I'd hate to overpay or take advantage of him.
Also what should I look for to make sure it is not fake?
TIA
Tim
No ivory, its implex. Seriously doubt its a fake because the real ones aren't worth enough to fake. Without pics no one's going to be able to give even a ballpark value. That's one of their standard models. A new one is around 500bux. A PERFECT used one MIGHT bring $300. Its currently the HOF-1

Last edited:

zrx replica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• all cues full view.jpg
    all cues full view.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 926

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci

I owned that model Meucci cue for ~20 years. It had the honey colored forearm and looked very similar to the one pictured by zrx replica. Red, black, red, black veneers, original ferrule, straight, no damage other than some bluing on the shaft. Nice cue. I sold it about 10 years ago for $175. Since I was selling to a friend, I wasn't trying to push for highest price. But it seemed fair against similar cues on eBay at the time. It is still owned by someone in our pool hall.

Last edited:

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy was asking $500 for it.
While it is a nice stick, I'll pass on it
Thanks for helping avoid over paying for it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy was asking $500 for it.
While it is a nice stick, I'll pass on it
Thanks for helping avoid over paying for it.
Good move. That's WAAY too much. If perfect they might bring $300. Very few of the older ones are in anything close to condition that warrants that kind of $$. You can buy nice used Schons for 500bux that are light-years nicer than any Meucci.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was cursive. Not 100% sure though.
Would that make a difference?
Thanks,
Tim

Big difference IMHO.

The "Meucci Originals" cues were better, are more desirable, are older, harder to find in nice condition, and generally hold stronger value.

Cursive? Worth less.

To be clear, there was no set date when they changed the logo. There was overlap. Some people don't know that. An old cursive Meucci could have been made when they were also still using the old "block letter" Meucci Originals logo. Perhaps some experts could tell the difference? I don't know.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Date..............

Lady at Meucci told me that everything from 1990 onward has a script logo. I think they may have used it on a few late '88-'89 models but '90 is pretty much the changeover date.