Older Pool Halls

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VERY few are left. The owners may have died off or rent got too high or the city/town just changed. Booches has survived mostly because Columbia is a college town (U of Mo.) and most of their business is selling burgers(classic semi-greasy burger btw) to students.
Yes, Yes, Yes it was the burgers that made the money in the small town halls. Pool was a dime a stick, so all it was doing was attracting folks in as either a spectator, or player. The smell of the fried onions and fresh ground beef on the flat griddle was oh so good!

billb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I have contemplated the ongoing, and escalating, decimation of pool halls, the absolute cornerstone of our sport, I have wondered about the status of American pool halls in general. Particularly, I have begun to wonder about the longevity of our rooms. In other words, how many pool halls have survived from the '40s? '50s? '60s? In my area, there are no long term survivors. I am really hoping that something remains from these bygone eras beside memories. What's left around y'all?
The Metropolitan Billiard Parlor in Morgantown WV. Around a hundred years old.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Country Retreat Family Billiards & Grill in Boone, NC.
Isn’t Boone where all the skiing is located? My kids keep bugging me to take them there. It would give me something to do while they’re out breaking knees and wrists.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people who frequent Booches never go in the back to play. They have no idea the treasure trove of tables there.

That place is on my bucket list. I wish I lived closer, I'm out here in West Texas and don't think they had anything like that back in the day here. Speaking of those old T-rail tables, they played great! Just as good as any table today, the only problem was the big pockets. Fats called them pockets "Soup Buckets". I hear a few folks talk bad about the playability of those old tables when compared to modern tables and that's just not true at all.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will most likely am moving to the Columbus Ms area this summer. I saw a great looking pool room is Starkvillee...Southern Billiards. Hope they are still open .

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Southern Billiards -- another College Town -- will be open a very long time. It has everything one could want in a pool hall, including the Starkville Police Department next door.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s pretty hard to pass through here! We are over an hour away from the nearest interstate highway - located north of I-40, west of I-77 and southeast of I-81.
Much to my chagrin.

I have been near while passing to charlotte and Asheville more than once. Never could convince myself to go west.

Some day...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Romine's in Miwaukee, Wi along with Chris's in Chicago, Il and Orton's in Wilmington, NC come to mind. Some may be temporarily closed due to the covid issue, but they have all been around for quite a while..

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We opened in 1996 and are still going - 10 tables in a rural market, although this is a tourist area in the mountains, which helps. We don’t have alcohol, but our food and beverage operation amounts to 90+% of our sales.

A majority of our customers have never once played pool here - roughly half of that being take-out orders. If it weren’t for that, we would never have made it.

All the old time pool rooms in smaller towns in western NC ( virtually all of them had one or more rooms) have all closed up to my knowledge, without exception.
Have a friend with a home in Burnsville. Going to check it out next time were there.