OMG, Enough about John Schmidt and record runs!

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I'm not bashing John Schmidt btw, like I've said many times, he's a solid average pro.

I'm bashing his groupies for over-hyping him.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we going to need a safe space on here also? Who cares? I haven’t clicked on the page for months because I’m not interested in it but obviously people are which is the point of a forum. just scroll past it like the 100’s of other threads I have no interest in .

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When in your own home, you can dictate what the discussion should be IF you prefer.

This is AZBilliards' home, this is how they pay the bills.

Let's hope more discussions can do as well.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Wow, that thread is over 300 pages long and continues to show up on the front page regularly.
A lot of cynical hate and threats in that thread! (As a former forum admin, the fact that that thread is still available is somewhat alarming tbh).
You folks really care too much about so little.
Focus on real accomplishments, the runs are trivial at best.
News flash: If ANY of the top 100 players in the world really put their mind and time to 14.1 runs, MANY would break 500-600 mark.
Jayson Shaw, for example, was tired of people "oooo-ing and awwww-ing" about "average pro" John Schmidt's life-long journey to finally beat Willie's record, so he spent a few weeks trying to beat it and showed it wasn't/isn't that big of deal to run 600+. (Jayson did it for attention too, lol).
But the rest of the pros, frankly, just don't care enough to do it. It's a waste of their time.
So you all need to quit bickering about it lol, you're comparing apples to oranges anyways-- different equipment and environments, etc.
And you keep making average pro player John Schmidt relevant. John who?
Again, try focusing on REAL pool accomplishments that the pro players themselves care about.
Do you really think a guy with a "Mr. 600" jacket intimidates Josh Filler or SVB lol?
Enough!

PS--- The world record for consecutive free throws made in basketball is 5,521 btw, made by an average person.
But you won't see the NBA's greatest-ever shooter, Steph Curry, wasting time trying to break that because, who cares lol. See my point?
🤦‍♂️ Great job Einstein, now we have two threads littering the front page. 😡

Wow, that thread is over 300 pages long and continues to show up on the front page regularly.
A lot of cynical hate and threats in that thread! (As a former forum admin, the fact that that thread is still available is somewhat alarming tbh).
You folks really care too much about so little.
Focus on real accomplishments, the runs are trivial at best.
News flash: If ANY of the top 100 players in the world really put their mind and time to 14.1 runs, MANY would break 500-600 mark.
Jayson Shaw, for example, was tired of people "oooo-ing and awwww-ing" about "average pro" John Schmidt's life-long journey to finally beat Willie's record, so he spent a few weeks trying to beat it and showed it wasn't/isn't that big of deal to run 600+. (Jayson did it for attention too, lol).
But the rest of the pros, frankly, just don't care enough to do it. It's a waste of their time.
So you all need to quit bickering about it lol, you're comparing apples to oranges anyways-- different equipment and environments, etc.
And you keep making average pro player John Schmidt relevant. John who?
Again, try focusing on REAL pool accomplishments that the pro players themselves care about.
Do you really think a guy with a "Mr. 600" jacket intimidates Josh Filler or SVB lol?
Enough!

PS--- The world record for consecutive free throws made in basketball is 5,521 btw, made by an average person.
But you won't see the NBA's greatest-ever shooter, Steph Curry, wasting time trying to break that because, who cares lol. See my point?
Glad you're not admin anymore...you seem like you have a Napolean power complex as most moderators do.

To your point...John schmidt couldn't play 9 ball or 10 ball to save his life right now. I just saw him and bergman stink it up on a 4 3/8 pocket table.

(Yes I know he won the US open)
(Yes I know about the 18 game run on a valley 8 ball table while pattern racking)

Sure the other pros could run 600's but my question is on what table? I doubt many if any could break 100 on my 4 1/4" pocket 9 ball table. The point is that the runs would have to be done on the same table to be a true comparison.

What were the TAR pockets? In this video John says that he'd be lucky to run 84 after a year on it.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry Stu, I am not. He's a solid 750-ish player, but his accomplishments occurred during the non-competitive (generational talent transition) years of the early to mid 2000's.
Hell, Alaskan-stud and current fargorate 671, (now 40-yrs old) Richey Orem even WON the December 2006 Sands Regency that a young SVB was in lol.
Every dog has his day.
John is fine. Nothing special.
First of all, he prevailed over some of the toughest fields you could find anywhere. Yes, the standard was a bit lower back then than it is today.

That said, I was present for the majority of big titles that John won and can personally attest to the superior quality of his play in those events.

As you say, however, there are those with stronger resumes than John but to find them you had to cite some very elite players, such as BCA Hall of Famer Rodney Morris and possible future BCA Hall of Famer Corey Deuel. Yes, they are much more accomplished than John.

I will not partake in the revisionist history that you are offering. John was an elite player and if you ask those against whom he competed, you'll hear the same.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whew. Really happy I caught this thread and read the existing two pages.
From this point it will be the SOS, until it dissolves into bickering and name calling with very little content worth reading...

So there it is JMO!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If the OP actually read the other thread, and especially as a former admin (apparently not here), he should understand that the other thread stopped being about JS a long time ago, and is truly only a train wreck now.

DH is...unique...and spews stuff out stream-of-consciousness style, regularly. Then there are others that simply keep the unrest stoked, egging DH on (doesn't take much). Standard forum stuff, happens here all the time. Then you add in Worldpro and Lou and Shaw's efforts...

Again, that thread ain't about JS anymore, it's an excuse for forum foolishness. And yes, I'm including myself in that... The one thing that the OP said that I agree with is the lack of admin involvement is a bit disappointing...but I suppose that's the way of things these days, especially without Mr. Wilson.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The hatred for John Schmidt, attracts the same mentality that hates Earl. Fact is, they both have entered into a high level of play, that very few will ever reach. You see, respect is earned.....and they have earned mine.
Might as well....what would Danny H say? 👹

xX-Wizard-Xx

JS probably looks at these threads and thinks .... here are many people with not shit else to do but argue about nothing

SEB

One tournament win doesn't define a career.
Yes he won a US Open.
At age 33.
Not much else really before or after.
There are hundreds of much more accomplished US players over the past century.
He's an average pro.
Here's Corey Deuel's wiki page, for example:

Career titles​

• 2007 Super Billiards Expo Players Championship
  • 2008 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2008 Million Dollar Shootout
  • 2008 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2009 Mosconi Cup
  • 2009 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2010 Turning Stone Classic
  • 2010 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2013 U.S. Amateur Snooker Championship
  • 2013 Four Bears Classic 8-Ball
  • 2013 Derby City Classic One Pocket
  • 2014 US Bar Table 8-Ball Championship
  • 2014 Music City Classic
  • 2014 Chuck Markulis Memorial One Pocket
  • 2015 Smokin Aces Bar Box 9-Ball Open
  • 2015 Chinook Winds Open 8-Ball Open
  • 2017 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2017 GT Jam
  • 2017 Four Bears Classic 8 ball
  • 2017 The Break Room's 8-Ball Classic
  • 2018 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2018 Wyoming Open Triple Crown
  • 2018 High Dessert Shootout 8-Ball
  • 2018 Derby City Classic Bank Pool
  • 2018 Mosconi Cup
  • 2019 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2021 Texas Open Banks Ring Game

And Rodney Morris:

Career titles[edit]​

You had to pick 2 hall of famers to compare lol.

Go ask Alex Olinger, Joey Gray, or Oscar Dominguez, what it’s like to be an “average pro”. They’re tortured by not being able to win. Absolutely tortured.

John got there bro. He won everything he wanted to win. He won a straight pool world championship, a one pocket world championship, a US Open, set a world record, and appeared in multiple Mosconi Cups. He had a killer career.

I could rattle off 100 players with Fargo’s higher than John’s that are actual average pro’s. John is an old dog now and his current FargoRate shouldn’t be used against him because he’s almost 20 years past his prime.

L.S. Dennis

Probably the biggest mistake that John made was to not release the video of the 626 for everyone to see long ago.
I believe he monetized it as much as he could have and I don’t blame him for that, but after that point had been reached what was the reason for not posting on YouTube for everyone to see?

telinoz

Registered
Probably the biggest mistake that John made was to not release the video of the 626 for everyone to see long ago.
I believe he monetized it as much as he could have and I don’t blame him for that, but after that point had been reached what was the reason for not posting on YouTube for everyone to see?
After no answer on the main mega Dan why not me whining thread... we won't get an answer on this one either.

I mean, he might as well release it has been my view.
Not many people will buy it, now the record has gone.
The longer he doesn't release it, the worse it looks.

telinoz

Registered
giphy (13).gif

You just have to say his name 3 times.

phreaticus

JS probably looks at these threads and thinks .... here are many people with not shit else to do but argue about nothing
I think that's the response that most sane people have to 90% of AZB threads... Of course that also covers most discussions on any form of social media....