OMG, the things I see on faceflop and the people who chimed in with agreement.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If you've never been able to indulge in the spicey aromatics of fresh cut Cocobolo, you ain't lived.."

Yes, the statement above came from a Cuemaker and I am not interested in naming the person. In the comments, people were bragging about wood boogers, weird stuff for sure.

Bad advice is bad advice, here is what Wooddatabase says about it.

Allergies/Toxicity: Notoriously allergenic. Reported as a sensitizer; can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation, as well as nausea, pink-eye, and asthma-like symptoms. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

If you can smell it, stop.

Last edited:

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If you've never been able to indulge in the spicey aromatics of fresh cut Cocobolo, you ain't lived.."

Yes, it's from a Cuemaker and I am not interested in naming the person.

Allergies/Toxicity: Notoriously allergenic. Reported as a sensitizer; can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation, as well as nausea, pink-eye, and asthma-like symptoms. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

Who cares??? If you can’t handle cocobolo or any other woods then don’t use them. Such a dumb post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares??? If you can’t handle cocobolo or any other woods then don’t use them. Such a dumb post.

It's for the readers who don't know any better.

Calling it a dumb post?

That's really showing what you are, very sad, good day.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
A Troll? (I have called many of your cues awesome.)

The post is not about you, was it in your mind?

The post it is a bit weird. I love the smell of Brazilian rosewood, tulipwood and Olivewood. If you can’t work with those woods, then DON’T!!!
What about African Blackwood? Did you read how it can affect you? Either use protection and vacuum the wood dust or stick on doing tips and minor repairs.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The post it is a bit weird. I love the smell of Brazilian rosewood, tulipwood and Olivewood. If you can’t work with those woods, then DON’T!!!
What about African Blackwood? Did you read how it can affect you? Either use protection and vacuum the wood dust or stick on doing tips and minor repairs.
Weird was seeing people who wanted to sniff some themselves AND bragging about wood boogers, I can't top that with weird.

I have cut wood all my life, never had problems but we have had people in here who were affected by it.

I only tip my cues. I do no repair work of any kind but I do cut lots of wood.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I appreciate the kind words in regards to my cues. I didn’t call you dumb, just this post.

Think of it as a public service announcement for those who don't know any better. JC showed pics of what it did to him, hate to see anyone have that happen.

Thanks, Dave.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of it as a public service announcement for those who don't know any better. JC showed pics of what it did to him, hate to see anyone have that happen.

Thanks, Dave.
You can never be safe enough. My wife is a retried principal scientist, her area of expertise was mostly new formulations. We both have been professionally fit for masks and your advice about smelling it is spot on. The testers for fit have an especially nasty chemical and if you can smell any of it your mask does not fit properly or the canisters are contaminated or the wrong ones for whatever your working with at the time.

She shut down an entire production at a facility in Mississippi once after seeing a foreman send a worker into a large vat to clean it with no protection on. The company was pretty upset at the moment but had much more to deal with after OSHA got involved..

You only have one life and it is your choices along the way that may dictate how long your on earth. Dusts and fumes can be lethal and the debilitating effects of not protecting yourself can be devastating. Sometimes sooner than you can imagine. Methyl isocyanate is one example, just look at what it did in Bhopal India years ago and still today!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The facts are this:

1) OP had information that some people CLEARLY didn't have and, out of an abundance of caution/care, he chose to come here and post it so he could inform others to ensure they handled this particular wood with care so they wouldn't look like JC (nothing personal JC :)).

2) You responded with a negative post essentially telling the world that you're perfect and they're stupid.

Seems to me, you're trying to impress someone with your knowledge while also trying to boost your ego a little bit?

I could be wrong but, if you were perfect, you would've used the proper commas in your first post, so there's that.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The facts are this:

1) OP had information that some people CLEARLY didn't have and, out of an abundance of caution/care, he chose to come here and post it so he could inform others to ensure they handled this particular wood with care so they wouldn't look like JC (nothing personal JC :)).

2) You responded with a negative post essentially telling the world that you're perfect and they're stupid.

Seems to me, you're trying to impress someone with your knowledge while also trying to boost your ego a little bit?

I could be wrong but, if you were perfect, you would've used the proper commas in your first post, so there's that.

lol

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though Cocobolo is famous for causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems, I feel that we should treat all woods the same when turning. Use a quality dust extraction system, wear protection glasses (which we always should do anyways when working on the lathe, mill or any other machine that can cause splinters) and wear a mask! a 3M half mask with dual filters costs next to nothing.
In addition to those obvious steps, I use a Festool vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter to clean surfaces on a regular basis. I also have one of those air filtration units hanging i the ceiling of my shop.
Even if you're not doing this fulltime, the equipment needed to protect yourself from the harm fine dust can cause is dirt cheap, especialy if you compare it to what a trip to the ER costs for you guys in the USA.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure negative reaction to cocobolo and similar woods can be cumulative, so sniffing it at all is just asking for trouble.
Trying to correct bad information will be a full time job, good luck with that. :ROFLMAO: There is enough information at our fingertips now, that anyone without the desire to inform themselves is on their own as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to waste time trying to save the willfully ignorant.

wuFB9Ip.jpeg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes, the statement above came from a Cuemaker and I am not interested in naming the person. In the comments, people were bragging about wood boogers, weird stuff for sure.

Cocobolo has put many in the hospital and it irritates my nose and lungs if I breathe the dust. It burns my sons hands just to touch it. But it you take fresh cut cocobolo and wipe all the dust off it, it still has a smell that some might like. I used to like the smell, but now as soon as I smell it I assume I am breathing the dust and try to get away..

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo has put many in the hospital and it irritates my nose and lungs if I breathe the dust. It burns my sons hands just to touch it. But it you take fresh cut cocobolo and wipe all the dust off it, it still has a smell that some might like. I used to like the smell, but now as soon as I smell it I assume I am breathing the dust and try to get away..
Thanks for posting Chris, I seen your comment on the same thread.

I will say this about Chris, even though I do not know him personally, I have considered Chris to be the true Stateman of this place and one who should receive "Poster of the Year" in this section if there was such a thing.

Thanks to all who are capable of posting in a professional manner and showing others that AZBilliards is the place to be.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have read when a person begins to feel the negative effects (in lungs) from Cocobolo it is too late.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

He didn't say sniff the dust .
A fresh cut cocobolo will have an aroma.
Just like BRW. You can smell them .

3M makes a double filter mask . It's what I use .