One Country vs One Continent..plus the UK

Pangit

Banned
That's pretty much the Mosconi Cup? There is no "National" Pride.

Heads up...one country vs another...I'd go with the USA vs the Philippines...and it would be better TV.
 
That's pretty much the Mosconi Cup? There is no "National" Pride.

Heads up...one country vs another...I'd go with the USA vs the Philippines...and it would be better TV.

No, since it's Europe, the whole army of Europeans who enjoy pool will follow the Mosconi cup.

Make it Philippines vs USA and a lot of Europeans will not have interest.
 
There should be a proper world cup of pool.

As to your annual case of sour grapes, I think the British would beat the US on their own, without the rest of europe. 200 9 ball players versus, what, 2 MILLION? And you're complaining about a fair fight? :grin:
 
Yes, an England-only team of Appleton, Peach, Melling, Gray and Boyes would be very strong, but, as another poster noted, having this competition as America vs Europe brings much more positive attention to the game.

I've heard it argued on the forum that it ought to be continent vs continent, Europe vs North America, but nearly all the best North American players are from the United States, so it makes little difference. I believe that Jason Klatt and John Morra, both skilled enough to be capable of earning a Mosconi Cup spot, are Canadian, so they are the exceptions.

Of course, there are way more pool players in America than in Europe, so maybe the point is moot after all.
 
All North American team?

Yes, an England-only team of Appleton, Peach, Melling, Gray and Boyes would be very strong, but, as another poster noted, having this competition as America vs Europe brings much more positive attention to the game.

I've heard it argued on the forum that it ought to be continent vs continent, Europe vs North America, but nearly all the best North American players are from the United States, so it makes little difference. I believe that Jason Klatt and John Morra, both skilled enough to be capable of earning a Mosconi Cup spot, are Canadian, so they are the exceptions.

Of course, there are way more pool players in America than in Europe, so maybe the point is moot after all.

I kind of like that idea...North American team. It certainly couldn't hurt our relationship with the other NA nations. But of course then nobody could scream "USA! USA!", and we couldn't claim American superiority. Wait, what?
 
Back
Top