One pocket rules question

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I was watching a one pocket video where someone had just followed in another players ball and the other two balls were in the kitchen to get the situation shown in the diagram. The shot I thought of was to intentionally scratch and send the two balls to the pocket as they were set up good for that and might disturb the spotted balls to make it even stronger.

The question is if there is any way to interpret the rule book to come up with a stiffer penalty than the normal loss of a ball. Another issue would be what people think about the shot in general. I am willing to lose another ball because I think the trade in position would be worth it.

CueTable Help

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if I'm following what your saying? You want to shoot the 10 and the 5 ball (that are behind the head string) with a cue ball in hand? "IF" this is your plan, it is considered "unsportsmen like conduct"...could (should) result in a loss of game in a tournament. "IF" you do it while gambling you are considered a moron and could (should) die.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I don't think there is a specific rule against it though. And could be considered a brilliant strategy by some. If it works!

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I'm not sure if I'm following what your saying? You want to shoot the 10 and the 5 ball (that are behind the head string) with a cue ball in hand? "IF" this is your plan, it is considered "unsportsmen like conduct"...could (should) result in a loss of game in a tournament. "IF" you do it while gambling you are considered a moron and could (should) die.

I was wondering along the lines of unsportsmanlike conduct when I made the post, but this is one pocket which has a lot to do with out thinking the other guy. To me this is just another form of intentional scratch which is a well known and used strategy in one pocket. Some people seem to consider soft-breaking unsportsmanlike but its still allowed without penalty. I am even thinking of this as being a new strategy I can use if I don't have a shot with BIH, but there is one I would love to move to shake things up that is just behind the line and think the penalty ball is worth it.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
With ball in hand in the kitchen, and there are balls in play, the cue ball must cross the head string or hit a ball in play (ball considered outside the kitchen) otherwise the shot does not count. Any other shot (played behind the line and in the kitchen) is not a shot.

Moving 2 balls in the kitchen with the cue ball, when you have BIH in the kitchen is an intentional foul and in tournament play could be considered Unsportsmanlike conduct which could result in a foul and loss of turn, with a warning, or loss of game with a warning or right to DQ.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching a one pocket video where someone had just followed in another players ball and the other two balls were in the kitchen to get the situation shown in the diagram. The shot I thought of was to intentionally scratch and send the two balls to the pocket as they were set up good for that and might disturb the spotted balls to make it even stronger.

How do you "intentionally scratch and send the two balls to the pocket"?? What you're taking about doing is a good way to get limbs broken if playing for money. Good way to lose a game/match in a tournament.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
In this scenario, why not use the standard draw shot to pocket the 7-ball in your own pocket instead of screwing around?

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
In this scenario, why not use the standard draw shot to pocket the 7-ball in your own pocket instead of screwing around?

I was thinking about this as if the situation was that you wanted them all. I realize that if that was the case the opponent probably would have just conceded the ball without following in as he would still be on the hill, but this is just a thought experiment. Let's make it more interesting and pretend there are several balls in the middle of the short rail and you need 5 to his 2. Why not add another ball for the trade in position? As long as you lock him up on the rail any shot is going to be difficult.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
What is interesting as far as the official rules go is that this shot is considered unsportsmanlike under 'Bad Play from Behind the Head String', but is not listed as such explicitly in the section on such conduct according to the WPA rules as posted on the BCA web site. Further, one of the penalties of unsportsmanlike conduct is allowed to be the normal penalty for a standard foul, in this case loss of a ball, at the referees judgement. My argument is that such a foul should receive this minimal penalty because I think it falls within the spirit of the game. By that I mean that I am willing to trade one thing for another; a ball for position.

I wonder what Mike Shamos would say about this if he covered it in his 'You Make the Call' article in BD.