Open Letter to Mr. Behrman re: US Open

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Barry,

I just got back from the 39th US Open and the pool matches I saw, especially the finals, were among the best I’ve ever seen! Every year, I’m blown away by the capabilities of these players from around the world.

That’s not what this letter is about, though. This is about the future of pool and your tournament.

I heard you say, several times while you had that microphone in your hands, that corporate America needs pool and pool needs corporate America. While I think the latter is sort of true, the former is so far from the truth that I wonder what your reality looks like.

Corporate America is only interested in something they can either sell or at least make a buck off of. They can’t do either with pool. Oh, maybe some beer or distillery can but why would they when they have the NFL, MLB, and NASCAR? What demographic could they possibly be missing by not having pool? Until pool is able to identify that missing demo, pool has absolutely nothing that Corporate America needs or wants. (Full disclosure: I work in Corporate America and have even been a Marketing executive for a time. I know this group.)

If you want pool to grow (you also stated this several times) so that these professionals are playing for real money (I think you said $500,000 purse at one point) then it has to happen at the grass roots level, first. You’ll need to bring more spectators into the system, and get the non-pool fan to embrace it. How can you do this? You need to focus on your two customer bases, the fans, and the players.

Me? I’m a fan. You know me. I’ve been attending for the last fourteen years. I usually get there first thing Thursday, with a VIP Seat ($160 or so) and stay all the way until Sunday morning. I stay in the host hotel (so you get credit for the room nights you’re committing to and don’t get dinged for not hitting your nut) for 3 nights. I shop with the vendors on site, buy from the concession stands. ($2 for an 8 oz bottle of water. Really??) Eat at several local restaurants for dinner. And spend a great deal of time at Q-Masters with my friends where I buy more food, drink, and table time. My total at Q-Masters this year was around $200.

All in, I spend about $750 to come see your tournament. I drove there but some of my friends flew so you can add a lot more for them.

For that, I get to see the best players on the planet play the game we love. But to do so, I have to sit in the most uncomfortable ways for hours on end. The seating is so impossiblycramped that you can’t move. The set up is so bad that it’s difficult to see the entire table. (I’m lucky I suppose; several of my friends that purchased ring side seats were moved to other locations against their wishes. Seriously!? WTF?) And my seat was probably one of the better ones.
(And how no one was injured on those stairs is beyond me. In only 3 days, I saw/heard at least 4 people go crashing to the floor, having tripped over something. No one was smart enough to tape off the edge of steps and risers so that they were more visible? Who did you get to set the place up, homeless people?)

Let’s say that you get all this fixed and return to a more intelligent setup where there is plenty of room for the spectators and the players aren’t bumping butts in the pit when playing next to each other. (Yep, that happened.) Oh, you might also want to come up with a way to pay the players on time. (Do you do the accounting with an abacus? Seriously, anyone that knows how to work Excel and understands cash flow can help you perform better in this regard.)

Let’s say the result is that many more people come to enjoy the event and that word of mouth starts to get around so that Corporate America sends someone to Chesapeake to check it out.
If they get there on Saturday, finals day, and arrive for the first match they’ll get to see you walking around in rumpled gym shorts and a dirty t-shirt! I’m sure they’ll just be lining up to talk to you, as the promoter of the event, in that outfit.
Seriously, have you never heard of dress for success? Successful people are drawn to others who are also successful, not to those wearing something that should only be worn in the privacy of one’s own home. Or perhaps to a rock fight.

And then, they’ll get to experience your public speaking skills with the microphone. I get that it’s your event, but everything is not about you! You need to hand that off to someone that will pass as a professional or at least get someone to write your script that has a clue about what will sound professional. (And then don’t ad lib; you’re not good at it.)

If you can fade all of that, there is a microscopic chance that Corporate America could have an interest in promoting pool. It will require someone with a great deal of vision, who can see past the warts, and has a genuine interest in the game. I don’t know of a soul like that but I’ll keep looking.

In the meantime, if you want your current fan base to continue to come you need to change so many things. I’m not saying that you have to accomplish all of them but I’m not coming back until I can be assured that I have a comfortable place to sit that I’ve actually selected and that the players are being paid to perform when they should be.

Otherwise, I’m as stupid as they are for continuing to show up and enable your behavior.

Best regards,

Brian in VA

Last edited:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice post

Thanks for the description of your experience; however, from what I gather just reading in other threads about this man, he is not likely to delegate such important matters to anybody else. Ego might get in the way.

Furthermore, in another thread somebody described his business M.O. not just with the OPEN tournament, but also with his pool hall business with vendors, etc. It seems he does this kind of thing (no money up front) with most if not all of his business dealings. Kinda like robbing Peter to pay Paul all the time, I imagine.

I believe the guy is sincere in his love for pool, and is proud of his many years owning and running this event. However, his lack of business acumen and apparent deficiency in funding makes me wonder how he can continue to operate this way, and expect that things will be fine. It's kind of sad, but I think if times were good economically, and pool as a business was thriving, he wouldn't have these problems.

I think that in spite of the reality of bad economic times for him, he continues
to try and put on this grand show of the US OPEN. Of course, this doesn't make the people he owes money to any happier.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Excellent narrative. I'm not a part of corporate America but after viewing the stream of this tournament and photos posted and emailed to me I came way with a couple of related thoughts. I don't know Barry or any thing about him other than what I've read here or in posted links, but he really does need to "correct his dress" and more than anything he needs a spokesman (or spokeswoman).

billiards102

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian,

On behalf of myself and other like minded forum members who do not post much but love the sport of pool, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts!

I couldn't agree more.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, if you've been going to the Open as long as you state you do realize that you just wasted an hour of your life writing this. Right?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I was gonna comment, but I think you hit all the major points, Brian.

I hope Barry takes this as constructive criticism. I love the Open too and have been going for years. I would love to see some major sticking points righted.

Hope springs eternal, I know.

Eric

doctorhvac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very well stated Brian!!!!! I left Saturday before the finals and drove home to watch it on accu-stats. I felt like if I would have spent another $10 to get into the finals that would have just been another crown and diet for Berry to slop down. Not to mention I am somewhat handicapped and crawling around on the seating area to get to a seat was a bit challenging. Maybe if Berry didn't park his Miata in a handicapped spot right by the front door I may have not felt so bad about it.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tap tap bro. you summed it up perfectly. U wanna have a first class event? if you're in charge then you must present yourself in a first class way.

mr8ball

The thing about this is he has been told this every year and has never changed. I don't think he ever will. The U.S. Open would be so much better off If someone else took it over. I think he likes the idea of everyone talking bad about him. Why else would he be doing it or keep doing it?

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone knows of when the players were paid on time?

Does anyone knows of when the players were paid on time at the US Open 9 Ball?
I have been reading for as long as I can remember that BB has been having money issues at pay out time.
Would it be better if BB stated no such promises to the players? after all they all know that is going to happen for maybe reasons that are beyond BB control.
Also I may add that the reason Mike Zuglan has steady sell outs at Verona NY may have to do with the cost of entry for the tournament with $ 25000 added.
$ 1000.00 to enter takes a lot of amateurs out of the field (for bragging rights) as they know they will not even get in the money bracket.
Amateurs players support the big players but they don't want to loose to much money and if you price at $1000 p/p not many will show up, maybe that's why it was reduced to $750.00
The first tread on this subject was right 100%
Be well all
From Canada

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone knows of when the players were paid on time at the US Open 9 Ball?
I have been reading for as long as I can remember that BB has been having money issues at pay out time.
Would it be better if BB stated no such promises to the players? after all they all know that is going to happen for maybe reasons that are beyond BB control.
Also I may add that the reason Mike Zuglan has steady sell outs at Verona NY may have to do with the cost of entry for the tournament with $ 25000 added.
$ 1000.00 to enter takes a lot of amateurs out of the field (for bragging rights) as they know they will not even get in the money bracket.
Amateurs players support the big players but they don't want to loose to much money and if you price at $1000 p/p not many will show up, maybe that's why it was reduced to $750.00
The first tread on this subject was right 100%
Be well all
From Canada

Originally posted by: dmgwalsh in the "PLayers not being paid at U.S. Open" thread

"In 2013, we were told that the WPA was requiring Barry to deal with the ABP and post the money. Barry deposited the added money into my trust account. The player's entry fees then went directly into my trust account as well. We basically had most of the money needed to pay the players prior to the US Open starting.

When it came close to the last day, Barry wanted us to transfer the money into his account and we refused to do so. He threatened to have Johnny or me arrested but we held strong. I transferred the money from my trust account to a new account at Bank of America that Johnny Archer could access. Johnny then wrote out the larger checks for the last few days.

This year, I heard that the WPA was not requiring the same arrangement. I read Barry's press release that he was going to put the money in escrow in his own account and noticed there was never any announcement that it had been done.

The result is no surprise to me."

It makes you wonder why the WPA did not require the same again !

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
The OP by Brian was so well written and accurate. I've only been to the Open once, probably won't go back as long as it's run the way it has been for so long.

I could certainly not add to anything Brian said. Very well stated.

RJB

My experience at this years US Open

I to went to the US Open, my 14th or 15th year in a row and most likely my last. For the second year in a row my seat was moved and for the second year in a row my "VIP" seat was an obstructed view of the TV table.

For the most part I've learned to stay away from the tournament room while Barry is speaking because really, it's just Barry and Crown Royal having an in depth conversation about nothing in particular.

First, Barry I will not call the mayors office and complain about the state of your pool tournament. Whatever your beef with the convention center is you need to handle it on your own.

Second, if you're going to slow pay the players you need to not bring your "custom home builder" on to center stage. You're bragging to the world about your success while not fulfilling your financial obligations.

Third, you love to talk about corporate America needing pool. Really? Seems to me that corporate America gets along just fine without pool and even if they needed pool do you think that you're the go-between? You think you're the solution guy or someone that a marketing department with a big budget wants to turn over money to?

Fourth, if you are relying on the gate to make your added money nut you have to be more realistic about the money you add. The math will never add up to 72K or even 50K, you might need to realize that you don't have to think "Big" you have to think "Smart". It's ok to have a smaller payout as long as the players get paid for their efforts.

Unfortunately I've had enough. Brian in VA is right about everything he said in his post. I think this was either my 14th or 15th year in a row going up to the Open from South Florida and it was also my last. I've decided that over the years I've looked the other way because of the great pool that I've gotten to see and that's made me a bit of an enabler, I'm done with that.

Barry I really hope you get it turned around, it used to be a great event and the players really need a big event in the States.

Sincerely

RJB/ARJ/RJ/Kato

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Great posts by RJ and Brian. I completely understand where you are coming from.

It needs to move to a bigger venue. This location held maybe 500 spectators, not at the TV table, but the entire arena. I understand that the VIP seat holders are upset, and rightly so, but that lack of seating made it really really hard for someone with general admission to even get a seat for a non-TV table, non VIP seat match.

That is my biggest gripe this year. The layout was bad. Too tight. Not enough seats. It needs to go back to the conference center. When the conference center was mention by Barry as being a possibility, the crowd cheered so loudly and so much that they didn't let Barry even finish with any other options for the tournament.

That is where the people want it. If it can be put back there 'Im sure the people will come back to the Open.

If it is going back to the Conference Center, then an announcement stating that needs to be made as early as possible, so as many potential spectators see it and change their minds about not attending.

Basically, what I'm saying is get it back to the conference center and get it done quickly. You dont want the 40th anniversary of the Open to be a damn joke.

Last edited: