Opinions Of This Simonis Color

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its sort of my Christmas present to myself that ever year, after the holidays, and once Orner's are not quite as busy, to have new Simonis Cloth installed on my Gold Crown IV.

when i bought the GCIV new back in January of 2003 i had the standard Simonis Green 860 installed. last February i had the Simonis Electric Blue 860 put on since it was the color of the world championships.

now this year i am leaning towards that new color, i think its called Powder Blue. my GCIV is the mahogany version, and i was wondering what everyone's opinion would be as to how that would look?

DCP
 
I wanted to go with a different color when I had my table installed, but was afraid I wouldnt like playing on the funky colors so I went with green.

I think the colors look nice, but my main concern is how it will play, did you like the last blue color you had installed?
 
The Powder blue isnt as rich looking as the electric blue. I would take a cloth sample home and put it next to the rail to be sure it is what you are expecting.
 
yes, the electric blue played fine, and looks fine. i am not for certain, but i think the world championships from either this year, or possibly last year, were played on this Powder Blue color.

however, i could be mistaken.

DCP
 
DCP.. Like so many things in life too many choices. I have Mali Spruce green that I am very happy with. Mali green looks yucky! The Simonis green looks good to me & the electric blue is really nice also. Try to go to a pool hall that has different color cloth & shoot on the ones you are considering.
DrCue'sProtege said:
yes, the electric blue played fine, and looks fine. i am not for certain, but i think the world championships from either this year, or possibly last year, were played on this Powder Blue color.

however, i could be mistaken.

DCP
 
Imo, blue only works if your table has black trim. Otherwise, green is the way to go if we're talking any kind of wood-colored finishes.

-Roger (no martha)
 
Simonis Color

I too have A GCIV, it is mahogony with bronze trim. It is currently covered with Simonis 860 green. I always thought the camel would make a nice choice. I'll be ready for a recloth in a little while so this is a topic of interest to me.
 
Personally although I like a traditional green there is something to be said for a cloth color that is not close to the color of any of the balls, especially if the table lighting is less than perfect. The 6 ball tends to merge with dark green cloth, and I played on a table recently with brand new cloth in the exact same shade of dark red as a 7 ball, and the 7 just disappeared on a long shot.

Therefore the light powder blue can work well, as can a beige/light tan, although most people find this too extreme for their tastes.

I believe Simonis created a special "Euro" blue for use in international tournaments like the Mosconi Cup and World Championship, not sure if this is the same as the "Powder" blue you are referring to.
 
i emailed the girls at Simonis and asked if there was a special color cloth created by Simonis for the World Championships and the Mosconi Cup. or if it is indeed the new Powder Blue.

i'll let ya's know if i get a response.
usually Felice/Chris at Simonis are pretty good at responding, but they might be off for the holidays.

DCP
 
Baseballs should be white, footballs should be brown, basketballs should be orangeish, pool tables should be green.
 
The pool hall I play at bought tables from the 2001 wpc. They are using the same color that was used then, some kind of light blue Simonis. To me this is the most pleasing to play on, as I find it easier on the eyes than the darker green. Anyway, green will always work, but after playing on the lighter blue alot I wouldn't even dream of putting anything else on my own table (but I don't have one, so who it doesn't really matter :) ).
 
just got an email back from Felice at Simonis.
she confirmed that the cloth is the new Powder Blue Simonis, and that it films well.

looks like the powder blue is the choice.
hope it looks as good as what the tables look on TV.

DCP
 
Pelican said:
Baseballs should be white, footballs should be brown, basketballs should be orangeish, pool tables should be green.
Is that what colors they were when you first became aware of them?
 
DrCue'sProtege said:
www.simoniscloth.com

click on colors,
you will see the Powder Blue

DCP


This thread might have been more important to me than I first realized. I might have discovered that I'm color blind because to me it looks like it's just a deeper grey than their grey. Am I alone in this or is it just me or my monitor?
 
it looks like a light Blue-ish Grey to me, but it does look good on TV. assuming that the girls from Simonis were correct in that this is the color they have been playing on.

i am driving to Orners in Indy probably friday morning, they say they have examples, so i am gonna check it out.

DCP
 
Back
Top