Opponents with headphones

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a stand up guy. Many people are not.Problems arise.
I wear them but even when I didn't I tend to look at a spot on the floor (Ralf Souquet like). So I trust the shooter, and when I wear ear buds I believe all those calls go to the opponent.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nine ball. He is shooting the lowest numbered ball. Out of order? What order do you have to rack the balls in 9 ball?

I don't wear headphones but people wear headphones to block out sharking. Things like "what ball are you shooting"?

Obviously I was speaking in general terms, comments would be out of place if we were playing checkers too - what does that have to do with anything?

Many call shot games in Billiards if I’m not mistaken.

You’ve never played three foul rule in 9 ball?

Or are you just looking to argue?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I spent the vast majority of my pool life more comfortable in LOUD bar-type places than the ones where it's so quiet you can hear bottles being set down on a hard table,shoes squeaking,etc. My hearing sensitivity tends to go up in competitive settings,so the background distractions stick out more.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I found myself with an MP3 player AND ear buds I like well enough to use regularly,but I find myself truly enjoying it more than just hearing whatever is on the jukebox,or stuff in the background.

That being said,I don't use them in the bar I typically play at.

My opponent using them has never once affected me,and can't remember ever having an issue with constant texts or people staying on the phone either. Shit happens,people need to communicate at times,now constant chatter and stuff like that is a different matter.

I've never even tried using them in a high level tournament,and therefore haven't been told I can't use them either.

No issues with communication either,if I need to talk to my opponent and they are wearing them,a simple tap on the shoulder in between shots like they do with Shane when he has his hearing aids turned off should suffice.

If I have any issue with something my opponent does,it's the ones that wear them with the cord hanging out in the front where it gets in the way of their stroke,or it gets hung up on the corner castings,and wonder why they don't copy what I do.

I run the cord down my back AND under my shirt so I can put my phone in my right front pocket,not impossible to snag somewhere on a bar table but very difficult to get hung up.

On the other hand,a phone or mp3 player that isn't working 100% can be a distraction itself. I had to figure out a way to keep my Google Assistant from activating itself in my pocket because the touch screen activated,and have had issues at times with cords and headphone jacks that had to be adjusted to work right.

That can be aggravating when you are in rhythm and have to stop,pull it out,make the adjustment,and then get back to the shot. Tommy D.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

Was this your first time gambling?

Have you never played 9 ball before?

Just curious how many questions you had to ask the guy.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

100% agree!
Against headphones / ear buds.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with all the old guys - being one myself at close to 60. It is just rude to text or wear headphones and I refuse to play rude people. Same as I refuse to go out to bars with people who constantly fiddle with their phones.

I don't mind talking to people playing pool - not during my stroke but in between them. If someone tries to shark me, I shark them better until they give up.

One move of mine is if someone really does it on purpose (for example stupid comments during my stroke more than once and after being warned) is that I take a cigarette or bathroom break, pretending it is necessary because he got me out of stroke (which isn't the case). And that is going to last at least five minutes. I got a guy so upset that he was not potting any balls after that. So if they shark you - double shark them back. And never play them again after the match.

I don't really like that kind of match but I believe it's the only way to let them feel consequences. And I am better at absorbing shark moves.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bluetooth wireless headphones, earbuds, or headset may make people think they’re listening to music but it could also be a 3rd person coach or direction to what to do by a 3rd person. I don’t like it when it is a match or tournament, and I am against them.

Practice, I could care less and have done it myself when it’s just me at the table alone as it helps me ignore others.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an ethical person, I feel it's my obligation to sit quietly, out of the way, and without moving around while my opponent is shooting.

The only things I say to an opponent during a match is "your on two", "was that a foul?", or "that's a foul", and very rarely I'll say "wow, nice shot". That's it, and I can't really think of anything else a person should be saying to their opponent during a match.

When you are almost never talking to your opponent during a match does it really matter if the other person is wearing headphones? You want to tell the other person they are on two? Make eye contact and hold up two fingers, they know what you mean.

For the people who apparently like to chat a lot during their matches, I guess all I can say is YOU are one of the reasons why I wear headphones :)

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an ethical person, I feel it's my obligation to sit quietly, out of the way, and without moving around while my opponent is shooting.

The only things I say to an opponent during a match is "your on two", "was that a foul?", or "that's a foul", and very rarely I'll say "wow, nice shot". That's it, and I can't really think of anything else a person should be saying to their opponent during a match.

When you are almost never talking to your opponent during a match does it really matter if the other person is wearing headphones? You want to tell the other person they are on two? Make eye contact and hold up two fingers, they know what you mean.

For the people who apparently like to chat a lot during their matches, I guess all I can say is YOU are one of the reasons why I wear headphones :)

What he said...

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nine ball. He is shooting the lowest numbered ball. Out of order? What order do you have to rack the balls in 9 ball?

I don't wear headphones but people wear headphones to block out sharking. Things like "what ball are you shooting"?

This is correct.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I notice a few have said they let their opponent know when they have fouled twice. Is this a requirement?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice a few have said they let their opponent know when they have fouled twice. Is this a requirement?
That's why phones/buds are not allowed in tournament play. Seriously, are you supposed to tap the guy/gal on the shoulder and braille him a "two" signal??

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It’s a requirement

But really shouldn’t come up often enough that it warrants a complaint

If you’re constantly 3 fouling your opponents you might want to find better competition.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wonder. Back in the old days what would we have thought of other players who would unfold a newspaper and read that while we're playing? I suppose that pretty much anybody would have found that to be very rude. It sort of shows that you don't take your opponent seriously in some way too.

Practising alone is a totally different story and I would never be offended by people wearing headphones doing that.

But another person demonstrating their lack of interest in your gameplay .... I don't take that well.